Tornado F3: 25 Years of Air Defence

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
agdickie
UKAR Staff

Re: Tornado F3: 25 Years of Air Defence

Post by agdickie »

Having seen it at Leuchars yesterday I can echo the above. For those who have seen, the excellent, "Northern Exposure" this blows it out the water, no mean feat! Tis crammed full of F3 goodness. :biggrin:
Agdickie on Airliners.net
Hey jet pilots! Do a barrell roll!

f15eagle

Post by f15eagle »

I spoke to an Aggressor pilot (Not at an Airshow) and he claimed that taking on a Tornado was like dog-fighting a Greyhound bus. It's also interesting to know that a Hercules could out turn a Tornado and many a red faced Tornado pilot failed to shoot down the "Fat Albert". Tornado is a great ground attack aircraft, but was never a Fighter.

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

There is always a lot of predicting & hearsay about aircrafts capabilities against another type,I've just been reading of a simulated aerial combat between 2 Lightnings v 1 Avro Vulcan (Classic aviation - Avro Vulcan)....apparently the Lightnings gave up after 30 minutes!
its a true account,but in a real life war situation,would I put my money on the Vulcan?...you must be kidding :grin:

f15eagle

Post by f15eagle »

In reality the Vulcan would probably escape low level.
I liked the clean lines of the Tornado F3. It was much better looking than the GR, but the GR is a great attack aircraft that is hard to shoot down when it heads down into the weeds at 600+ MPH. that is what the Tornado should only have been. We should have purchased the F-15 (As was originally intended) for Air Defence.

Fouga

Post by Fouga »

When is the exact day for ceasing all Operations/Flying with the F3?

Craig

Post by Craig »

Fouga wrote:When is the exact day for ceasing all Operations/Flying with the F3?

Already gone I'm afraid, think it was the 28th March (?) the last three flew to Leeming for RTPing?

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Just recently had a look at a mates copy, wow I'm going to have to get one, looks awesome. Boy I miss that plane :sad: , oh well have a little trip to East Fortune in mind :smile: .

swingy

Post by swingy »

Got a copy at the Lossie F&F day. Great book. Well done all at Squadron Prints.
Last edited by swingy on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stonesfan

Post by stonesfan »

Got my copy this week. Great book with some fantastic photographs. Those F3's looked darn good with their wings back!!!!!

I've never doubted the capability of the F3 as a platform for an integrated defence system either. Cobra's? Snakebites? Various other SU-esque niceties? Not of much use once theres an AMRAAM heading your way!

Concorde216

Post by Concorde216 »

I bought a copy of the book at RIAT 2011. Really pleased with it, great photographs throughout. I now need to buy an F3 print :smile: . Good to get the views of those who worked on the fighter, either on the ground or in the air.

Great aircraft, it will be missed... :sad:

F16

Post by F16 »

26th to 28th March 2011 was a time of reflection and farewells to the Tornado F3!

Here we are on the 26th March, 2012 reflecting on what happened a year ago
. . . . . "Fond Memories of great people, happy times and a lovely jet"
I MISS THE TORNADO F3 AND IT'S PEOPLE :sad: