How to polish out those canopy seam lines

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
Brew67

How to polish out those canopy seam lines

Post by Brew67 »

For those on here who are having trouble with canopy seam marks,i will do my best to demonstrate how to get rid of those aweful canopy seams with the aid of some pictorial instruction.Right here goes then first off get yourself somer sanding gear,the micromesh polishing cloth set is a good place to start but if your having trouble getting that set then some fine sanding sticks will do as i have demonstrated.First off scrape the seam with a curved knife blade this prevents scratching where you don't need scratches,secondly start sanding lightly and i do mean lightly the seam mark with a coarse fine sanding stick.After this then sand with a finer sanding stick following that with an even finer sanding stick,when you have done this you then need to get the polishing stick out and gently go over where you have sanded.Once your satisfied with your result then give the canopy a quick wipe with a dry cloth and proceed to paint on some Johnsons Kleer or an equivalant polish,this helps to seal the canopy so as if you need to add P.E. then the canopy will not mist up with the presence of super glue or the like.Now for the pic's.Right grit sizes to start use 800 grit then 1500 followed by 3000 to 3600 for polishing then use a polishing stick for the final part.After this use the Johnsons Kleer or an equivalant substance for the final polish off let it dry for 24hrs and voila ther you now have yourself a seam free canopy.

Hope this resolves some irritating issues in the polishing of canopies.

Clive. :up:
Last edited by Brew67 on Fri 04 Feb 2011, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hunterxf382

Re: How to polish out those canopy seam lines

Post by hunterxf382 »

:clap: What an excellent and easy-to-follow guide! Thanks for posting that :clap:
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

hunterxf382 wrote::clap: What an excellent and easy-to-follow guide! Thanks for posting that :clap:

+1, thanks Clive. :clap: I need to do this soon for my Harrier kit, so this a helpful reference.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

This one has to be the most detailed post for cleaing up a canopy seam line I have seen. If it's alright with everyone. I'll pin this one now. If not I can unpin it tomorrow night. Nicely done and shown Clive. :clap:

Craig

Post by Craig »

This is very useful Brew, I wonder if you could clarify for me though what sort of grade I'll need for a bit of final polishing. The canopy on my Hawk has some surface scratching from removing some paint, I was hoping a coat of Klear would sort it but it hasn't. What grade paper will I need to take the Klear off and polish out the scratching? Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Craig

Post by Craig »

Well sorted in the end, used 400 grit paper to smooth it off, and then to move the clouding a bit of tissue and toothpaste! Very slightly abrasive, and worked superbly. :up:

Norman44

Post by Norman44 »

Hi Brew, that's cool that I use the same method as you. :up: But instead sanding disk I use grit micro finishing cloth (like this one) http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/micro-finishing-cloth-abrasive-12000-grit-albion-alloys-2068.html.
Toothpaste this is lifehack :clap:

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

I don't even do modelling BUT this to me is what makes Forums great.

When UKAR gets criticised for going down hill just remember threads like this.
HTAFC