Sun n Fun

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
expat1

Sun n Fun

Post by expat1 »

I'm off to Sun n Fun in Florida next month for the first time.
Anyone been there before and have any tips on the best days to go where to get the best photos etc etc?
Thanks
Keith
You don't take a photograph you make it - Ansel Adams.
Canon 6D, Canon 7D, 100-400L, 70-200L, Tamron SP 150-600.

Mike

Re: Sun n Fun

Post by Mike »

I went in 2005. From what I remember, beside the taxiways is quite a good spot to hang around to get taxiing arrival and departure shots. You can get on the taxiways themselves (as that is where they park the statics), they just clear you off to the side for aircraft movements. Along the crowdline is fine for shots of the airshow.

Don't forget to visit the museum there. They usually push Kermit's stuff outside (Lysander, Goose, P-63, Tempest) during SnF week

And make sure you go to the seaplane splash-in at Kermit's place on April 3rd, pretty much the last time you'll be able to visit Fantasy of Flight before it closes. He is also having a Mustang event there (cars and P-51s) on the 5th

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

From what I've heard it's a great event to go to, with myslef personally agreeing with what Mike has said regarding where to stand as near the taxiways do provide the best photo opportunites. There are some tasty aircraft going, Blue Angels, Ford Tri-Motor, P-38 "Glacier Girl" but it's difficult to find a comprehensive list, the website is as useful as a chocolate teapot :grin:
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Mike

Post by Mike »

It looks as though Kermit is pulling all his stuff out of the museum at Lakeland and putting them into storage at Fantasy of Flight, so you probably won't get to see them. The Lysander in particular was looking really rough when I last saw it a year or so ago, with yellowed canopies, holes in the fabric and the cowl ring rotted through - a real shame as it was an airworthy aeroplane when it left Duxford. :sad:

expat1

Post by expat1 »

Thanks for the advice. Definitely be heading to F of F for the splash-in.
You don't take a photograph you make it - Ansel Adams.
Canon 6D, Canon 7D, 100-400L, 70-200L, Tamron SP 150-600.

Epic Formacion

Post by Epic Formacion »

This is such a fun show to do, mainly because of the diversity.

Of course there are hundreds of aircraft, and they seem to turn over daily - even the warbirds. As others have said, flight line access is pretty good - be bold. I would take a High Viz, I seemed to get left alone more than most. You can take a radio, its probably the best RT you will ever hear. Weekend flyers are totally blown away by the seemingly complex arrival procedure - the ATC guys tell these guys straight - hilarious but incredibly scary!

You will always seem to be in the wrong place - its that sort of show. The central 'warbird' ramp gets very lively, keep an eye on how the ground movements work, there is a flow to the madness. If the Angels operate out of there, they tend to get a mid field apron, you will walk your legs off guaranteed.

Lakeland is great, I spent two months there learning to fly. North side they used to operate Army NG Shorts 330's, don't know if that set-up is still about? Enjoy!

Mike

Post by Mike »

Epic Formacion wrote:I would take a High Viz, I seemed to get left alone more than most.

My advice would be quite the opposite, based on 8 years of attending events in the US
Firstly, you'll look a tw*t. Secondly, you'll just draw attention to yourself.

Epic Formacion

Post by Epic Formacion »

Mike wrote:
Epic Formacion wrote:I would take a High Viz, I seemed to get left alone more than most.

My advice would be quite the opposite, based on 8 years of attending events in the US
Firstly, you'll look a tw*t. Secondly, you'll just draw attention to yourself.

Interesting observation from the self conscious. Having done this show with a hi-viz, of course my experience differs, thats why I mentioned it.

ikarus

Post by ikarus »

Highly recommend this show , been 3 times now ,hope to go again next year - last visit was 2013 , the lack of military was a blow but I think you will be okay this year . The content of the static changes every day so you need to keep walking around , catch a shuttle tram to the far end "rotor town" - unless its moved to "Paradise City" (Ultralights) then walk the field back to the main area. Take plenty of water and sun cream and explore every line for
the more exotic stuff.

Watch out for part of the flightline that you can walk through in the morning - homebuilts , experimental , kits - being shut once the flying display starts if its
that section alongside the runway. Great to grab arrivals in the morning pre show . It may have changed though , so check. Do the main "Military Display" aircraft flightline pre display -early , you can get good shots and walk the fast jet line but just before the main displays start , the area is shut to pedestrians
for the rest of the day.

"Splash In" is a must best $5 or $10 you can spend :clap:

Best days I found are 1 - 4 Tues - Fri , Sunday when I went , most of the stuff had gone ....... Always something to see though , enjoy........ :smile:

For photographs be warned , no barriers around aircraft , so expect to wait for the photo opportunities with no distractions - people.