Special Scheme GB - Academy 1/48 Thunderbirds F-16C

A forum for UKAR Group Builds
iaint
UKAR Staff

Special Scheme GB - Academy 1/48 Thunderbirds F-16C

Post by iaint »

Right, as I mentioned in the main GB thread, I am entering this GB with one of America's finest...7

The Academy 1:48 F-16C in Thunderbirds colours. The kit appears to be quite well moulded with nice fine panel lines on the fuselage and wings, however the detail on the seat and within the cockpit has been left rather minimal, to the point there is none... The kit sprues have a date on them of 1990, so it's a fairly old kit now.

One obligatory sprues and box shot...
ImageIMG_9892 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

The instructions and paint callouts are minimal, with just a colour being named in most places. That's not a huge issue, the plane is just gloss white, although the FS colours for the red and blue have been given on the paint/decal guide. The kit only has 9 construction phases so is also relatively simple...

First step I've taken is to paint the model white... Unfortunately it has already gone wrong in the first 5mins! :shock: :hide: :sad: :sad:
First layer of Gloss White was applied, rattle can of Humbrol gloss acrylic... But somewhere I believe something has come into contact with the wet paint and left a horrible, 'rumpled' rough area behind... (its the back end of the upper fuselage and also the rear stabiliser - both visible in the photo)
ImageIMG_9900 by iainthomson84, on Flickr

Now I'm already disappointed, and it's not even been taken off the sprues yet! :sad:
What is the best way to remove these areas of the acrylic spray-paint, to try and return to getting a 'perfect' smooth finish?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

Pringles

Re: Special Scheme GB - Academy 1/48 Thunderbirds F-16C

Post by Pringles »

In the past, to remove acrylic paint, I have used nail polish remover (acetone I think, may be worth googling) gently brushing with a soft toothbrush or cotton wool and the paint came off easily with no melting or warping. Hope this helps, I look forward to seeing this completed!
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Great to have you on board mate, but I'm sorry to hear that you have had problems already.:sad:

If you google paint removal from models you will find some interesting tips.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Mr Muscle oven cleaner.
Wear marigolds(other rubber glove products are available)
Take the sprues outside and coat with the oven cleaner, then put the lot in a plastic bag.
Leave for an hour then rinse under a tap - outside preferably.
Use the soft side of a washing up scrubber to clean off the residue.

It's worked for me in the past when I managed to mix acrylic and enamal in the wrong order.

Only problem with buying the oven cleaner is that swmbo then demands you stop wasting time on modelling and tells you to get on with cleaning instead!

(ps sure it wasn't a reaction to the release agent on the plastic? I'm having to make sure I give all the Airfix kits I buy now a good wash before starting.)
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

cw318is

Post by cw318is »

If you spray a lot of neat dettol over the sprues, to the point where its running off, then put it everything in a sealed freezer bag and spray on more dettol and leave overnight you'll be able to rinse it all off under running water - some aggitation with a toothbrush or similar may be required. Then give everything a good wash with washing up liquid and water and you'll be good to go.
DamienB wrote:Airshows aren't just about sunlit topsides chaps.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

This looks like a really nice kit. Were you able to fix the paint problem?