Modelling Forum Boost

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
Maisie

Re: Modelling Forum Boost

Post by Maisie »

Scampi wrote:I'd be interested in a starter kit type group build, depending on scale etc

They're generally 1/144th - 1/72nd. I don't recall any in 1/48th but I may be wrong.
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Glad to see some enthusiasm coming back to the modeling forum. I am definitely up for a 1:144 build and have just purchased a Lockheed EC-121 from ebay for less than a tenner as my entry. As for a basic build I think we should stick to Airfix as that will be the most accessible to everybody. The question is do we go for the starter packs then it is minimum cost although im not a big fan of using Humbrol acrylic paint. Also it would be good to have airbrush v hairy stick. My suggestions ,if we go for the starter kits are are 1:72 Harrier GR1, 1:72 Hurricane, or 1:72 BAe Hawk, all less than £10. The forum as a whole has plenty of members all we need is a way of getting them into modelling? Im sure many of they did it as a kid, just need to stoke up some interest.

Craig

Post by Craig »

Sorry guys I know I've been slacking somewhat majorly of late. Life is at present complicated and modelmaking just not possible. Normal service will be resumed as soon as it can be. In the meantime though, I am still about :smile:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I don't see a problem with running two or three GBs in parallel, running for roughly a year perhaps but with no fixed end date.

So far we have:-
- 1/144 scale - lots of opportunities to try something a bit different there.
- starter kit build - or maybe kits costing no more than £10

A few more ideas-

Avro - one that is close to my heart but may be too narrow.
Biplanes - time get over the fear
Single type GB to run as well - Hawker Hurricanes, F-104s, EE Lightnings, Mirages all kinds (I kind of like this one) or whatever.

Thoughts?

Scampi

Post by Scampi »

DerekF wrote:.....starter kit build - or maybe kits costing no more than £10....

I think that would work well, I would imagine that a multitude of starter kits are available for under a tenner, both online and in the high street. It also leaves a lot of room for preferred scales and/or subject matter as well as local availability and skill set.

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

DerekF wrote:I don't see a problem with running two or three GBs in parallel, running for roughly a year perhaps but with no fixed end date.

A few more ideas-

Single type GB to run as well - Hawker Hurricanes, F-104s, EE Lightnings, Mirages all kinds (I kind of like this one) or whatever.

Thoughts?

I would be very much up for the Mirages GB, a 1:48 or 1:32 Murage 2000N of Ramex Delta would be my choice! And yes everyone, I've shotgunned that one! :lol: :grin:

Cimmerian
UKAR Supporter

Post by Cimmerian »

I'd be up for the biplane one. :smile:
Regards, Ken

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

DerekF wrote:I don't see a problem with running two or three GBs in parallel, running for roughly a year perhaps but with no fixed end date.

A few more ideas-

Thoughts?

Obviously i'm up for the 1/144th as I mentioned it, but would also do a starter/£10 or less, Avro and bi-planes (got both tanker Vulcan and An-2 wanting to be built)

Single type, depends what type... I have vey limited kits, mainly Russian and aircraft to be converted to water bombers..
6D | 7D | 60D

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Cimmerian wrote:I'd be up for the biplane one. :smile:

Count me out on that one, bi-planes, especially in 1:72 are tools of the devil!

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

farnboroughrob wrote:
Cimmerian wrote:I'd be up for the biplane one. :smile:

Count me out on that one, bi-planes, especially in 1:72 are tools of the devil!

Good thing about GBs is its a chance to get over your fears! Only one Biplane on my shelves so it is definitely time to rectify that!
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I'm glad to see that there is still interest in the modelling section on UKAR. We'll let the thread run for a few more days then I'll put a proposal up and see how we go on.
Last edited by DerekF on Thu 30 Jul 2015, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

I'd be happy to join in on a Starter GB, hairy stick and nothing too complicated. :grin:

Perhaps including a basic kit list and one person taking the lead and posting progress shots to help those of us with "Barman's Hand"(don't look at me!)

twirl2688

Post by twirl2688 »

Well if a starter kit GB goes ahead I got the red arrows 50th kit for my birthday. For the 1/144 GB I shall take a walk down Windemere high street to the toy shop and have a look at what they have.

Scott
what is the significance of that flag

Scampi

Post by Scampi »

Just been to the toy shop and covered all bases,1:144 starter kit for less than a tenner!

neilos

Post by neilos »

I think if it's kept simple, ie 1:144 or 1:72, then a lot more might jump in and have a crack, as opposed to building the larger scales.

As it's been proved with some cracking builds, you don't need a lot of kit, airbrush etc, to produce a great kit.

I'm up for it.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Ok guys... Looks as though there will be a 'starter GB' , '1/144 GB' for sure.
I like the idea of the Biplanes, I've always wanted to try my hand at rigging just once at least. My opinion on the Avro GB, it may be limited... I can see a lot of Vulcans being built there. (Not that is a bad thing. :) )
Single types would be interesting.... I would have to side with Maise on this one, Russian stuff would be a nice choice. Maybe Russian built but does not have to be in Russian markings specificity? The good thing about the "Single Types GB" is that after say a year.. we could change the type for another year.

If we go for 5 full year Group Builds.... I'll put out this option once again to see if anyone would be interested... Would anyone else be interested in one that is a "anything but aircraft' GB? Gives a chance to see what others may build besides aircraft, or just create a dedicated thread in the general modelling section for anything but aircraft?

Also.. before I head off to my local hobby shop for some paints to finish of my Mirage and Spitfire, Would a start time of Sept 1 be good for everyone? This way people will have enough time to get kits,paints and glue ready. Plus finish most of summer airshow season.

Loving the ideas you all are putting forward! :clap:

twirl2688

Post by twirl2688 »

Yeah sounds good to me. :up:
I like the idea of a other than aircraft section as well. I quite fancy having a go at building ships or armour.

Scott
what is the significance of that flag

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

I'm back after the summer break.

I'd love to see a group build with the back to basics, as I only have the basics.
1/72 would be good .
It would be cool to see everyone build a starter kit.

Steve

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Hey guys... Just a heads up... I haven't given up on this. I'm just on a huge road trip through the SW U.S. right now. I'll be home hopefully next Sunday. :smile:

funkygib

Post by funkygib »

I'll try and get involved, although the last GB seemed to fade away :sad:
Nikon D5100, 18-55mm VR, 55-300mm VR
These are my photos, there are many like them but these are mine.

wiggy12

Post by wiggy12 »

I would love a back to basic's one has I seem to have forgotten most thing's, even my name but that's when I'm summoned from her above, anyway will give it a go...

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

Hi guys, not been about for a couple of years now, but that is something I am looking to rectify again... Haven't built anything in anger since the RAF 109 but saying that I have the airfix Severn class in the midst of assembly. I kinda stopped for a while due to building a 1:1 scale human, then relocated, then nearly lost my son and partner in a horrific car crash then moved again, so haven't had much time to build owt but hopefully things'll settle down soon! Great things are being built on here and still some of the old faces about, which is good! Hope to post again soon!
Matt hates Photo Etch as of today

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Matt,
Really hope everything is getting back to normal and everyone is ok.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

It's nearly the 1st September. Any consensus on what we're going for?

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Personally would prefer 1/144th... but open to what ever.
6D | 7D | 60D