1:144 Scale GB

A forum for UKAR Group Builds
DerekF

Re: 1:144 Scale GB

Post by DerekF »

While the responses have been welcome, I think it's clear that the GB is not getting the support it needs. I appreciate that personal circumstances can overrule - it happens to us all but the number of builds in the time so far is not great really.

From my point of view, I'll carry on building but there won't be any build threads - it's not worth the effort - just finished models.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Hey sorry everyone... I've been travelling tons over the past few months and just had no time to build anything.. Geez I barely had time to log in and see what was going on in the past few months. I wonder if maybe the 1/144 build may be a little to small for some people... Maybe launch of another year build of any scale but something like dedicated to Russian built aircraft, but no restriction on year or country?

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I don't think it's worth considering any GBs unless support picks up. I would think it's unlikely as it's now airshow season again.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I think the response to this rather proves my point.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Sorry Derek.. Again life has got in the way yet again. I do see what you mean though. Damn! it sure is quiet even in just the normal kit building area. If your going again to RIAT this year, maybe another meet up at Wonderland is possible as well as any other kit builders that may be out there in the shadows. Sure would be nice if Alan/Deacon made a surprise visit as he and his family usually visit the show for a day.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

I really am wanting to join in with this one but i need to clear my feet a bit! I do regularly sit down at the table, move a few things about and walk away again. But by the end of next month i will have hopefully sold more kits than i have finished in the last 18 months, maybe even halving the stash by year end!! :surrender:

Cant even blame the Mondeo because i only seem to be collecting bits, including another one for parts! But family and work will certainly provide some exciting times over the next year!
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Well, I think the GB is dead. In 9 months 15 completed builds of which 11 are mine!

Lots of promises but little has materialized. I appreciate that real life gets in the way but wasn't that the point of making it a 12 month GB? Good job we didn't do as we said and run another GB concurrently!

There are three months left to try an revive the GB but I suspect that over the airshow season that isn't going to be easy.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

DerekF wrote:Well, I think the GB is dead. In 9 months 15 completed builds of which 11 are mine!

Lots of promises but little has materialized. I appreciate that real life gets in the way but wasn't that the point of making it a 12 month GB? Good job we didn't do as we said and run another GB concurrently!

There are three months left to try an revive the GB but I suspect that over the airshow season that isn't going to be easy.

Just when i was getting my head above water again as well!

Just wonder if you were asking too much of an area of the site that has been in decline for a while, and seems to have seriously deteriorated since Deacon left! As for real life, i would happily swap places with you on quite a few things, but the good is too good to let go and i doubt i could cope just now with one of your down sides of the past year!

Lets just wait n see what the next 6 months brings!
Arabest,
Geoff

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Well, that's that. No more from me in this GB and I would have thought unlikely from anyone else in the few weeks left. I would suggest that as a concept the GB is a good one but there simply isn't the support or commitment on UKAR for it. On top of that there are other agendas, smart arses and keyboard heroes who want to put a downer on anything. What a shame some of those didn't give modelling a go and try something positive for a change.

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

They probably think they are above us modellers and a quick dig amuses them.

I'll move my An-22 thread to the main section, work on it has been slow... running my own business kills my social life and drains my spare time as I have chronic back pain to live with (I'm on morphine daily), so I just do bits when I can.
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I did warn from the start that there wasn't the number of people in this section to maintain group builds like a dedicated modelling forum.

My ideas for occasional GBs with as generic a theme as possible was shouted down at the time.

I also said that they're better off being run in winter months - during the summer this section is always quite slow as people are out at airshows, editing photos and enjoying the weather in their free time.

You've done terrific work on this GB Derek, but perhaps it's time to knock this GB idea on the head for a while and just build whatever you want to rather than trying to maintain an idea this section scarcely has enough contributors to support.

Maybe one GB a year, with a very loose format running for 4-6 months over the winter would be a better way? This current theme is a good one, but it's the wrong time of year.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I have to say that I don't recall your warnings. Was that on this recent GB thread?

I don't recall either generic themed GBs being shouted down either. That might have been a while ago when I would agree that the themes chosen were too narrow. Generic themes are in fact exactly what we did with the large scale GB, Airfix GB and Revell GB. They were pretty successful. It was thought that the 1/144 scale would be the same and in fact it started with lots of promises.

This GB has been going since last October, to allow as long a time as possible and to cover both summer and winter so I'm not sure that's an issue either. I posted that it was fizzling out in April.

Anyway, a break from GBs is a good idea but the idea was originally to try and get others who might not have modelled for a while or who've never tried to give it a go. I still think that's worth trying.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

This was all years ago when GBs as an idea were first being mooted, probably 2010, maybe earlier. There was a stinking row between me and one of the other guys that no longer posts on here, telling me that "open themes aren't what GBs are supposed to be about" and as I recall, he wanted to set incredibly restrictive themes like 'Egyptian Air Force'.

12 months is probably too long - people might look at it and think they've got plenty of time to get involved. If it's a shorter build period of just a few months, there isn't sufficient time for any early enthusiasm to fizzle out.

It is a good idea in principle, but I just think that if they're too long, or they're always on-going, there's nothing special about them. If they rolled around as an occasional idea, they might garner more support just from the fact they don't happen very often?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I think I know who you mean.

The reason we went for 12 months I think was mentioned before and certainly allowed me to build more than I would normally. I used to find the three month GBs too short but it depends on the subject.

I can't help thinking that we need some good idea, something to inspire interest.The usual single type/scale/campaign/manufacturer have all been tried. Maybe get away from the GB idea but some sort of themed build that would allow a larger participation. Ideas would be welcome.

[rgmw]largie

Post by [rgmw]largie »

For me, if it was a 2 month 1/72 group build I'd be tempted to join in. I find long timescales mean I start, then it goes on the back burner due to real life intrusions and suddenly I've lost interest.
Should we try an Airfix, Battle of Britain 1/72 GBB ?
Cheers
Dave
Dave
[rgmw]largie

rob68

Post by rob68 »

To be controversial is there a bigger problem and that no new blood is joining in? Out of curiosity what is the age of those that contribute and is it to niche for this forum. I'm 48 and don't model anymore.

If there is no one say below 30 in age, isn't that the problem? This isn't a criticism of those that contribute and I may be well off mark but UKAR staff will know how many hits the site gets.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I think that is spot on. Recent GBs were supposed to be generic enough to encourage new modellers or those who hadn't modelled in a while. It hasn't really worked though.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Derek, thank you for making the effort. Appreciated.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

I would also like to say thanks to Derek for the effort he has put in!

LN, i do remember your concerns about GBs here, but we were on the crest of a very big wave at the time, a wave that didn't break until not so long ago. Im also 100% sure of who you disagreed with, but less said the better! After that, we did however go on to have some very successful GBs, the end of that batch unfortunately did see a decline.

I as much as anyone just now, also accept that people sometimes have to sacrifice something to take pressure off another part of their lives. Off the top of me head, Deacon kept me going at times but disappeared suddenly, James????, Flying Medic, Fumbles and Takamota look to be busy elsewhere, and a large number along the way have came and went!

For my own part, its been some year with plenty of families little hurdles, but i will be back contributing soon!
Arabest,
Geoff.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Hey guys... I'll be fully honest here... I think what killed any mojo for me here in the 1/144 build... I started out with much enthusiasm but once I ran into snags on just the X-29 and the Tiger Typhoon kits. I realised I just could not get the results of a built kit that I wanted! Sure the two kits turned out okay... but I will admit. I bit off more then I can chew, they almost ended up against the wall more then a few times. I lost my mojo from just those two kits alone. I wanted to build more, but I really didn't want the struggles. Now that we are giving up on the 1/144 build.... I've found the mojo again and will be building a lot more in the future. Derek I commend you for the builds you have done in this group build... You got some very very sweet builds and they turned out very well. The future of Group builds may be up in the air at the moment. But well done for what you contributed to the last one. :up:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Thanks to all for the kind words. I think it's probably best to give the GBs a rest for the moment unless some radical new ideas are forthcoming. The signs aren't good though.