RAF Cosford Air Show 2016 - [Official Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
nighthawk999

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2016 - [Official Topic]

Post by nighthawk999 »

Can anyone please explain exactly WHY we were told by a very officious RAF person to"stand back!VERY important people coming through!"in a hangar?
Which merely turned to be La Vorderman with a clearly staged"media scrum!"I was expecting at least the Air Chief Marshal and not a fading TV"personality"
I know she's connected to the ATC but was all that OTT(imho)charade really needed??

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

I don't know if its already been mentioned but what was the deal with the Jags not doing a taxi run?

NTG1610

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2016 - [Official Topic] Amedment

Post by NTG1610 »

NTG1610 wrote:
sunwing wrote:Has anybody got a full list for the show including all items dotted around hangers

Many thanks
Paul

G-CBBR/XX625/W-02 Scottish Aviation Bulldog Srs.120 Model.121 Elite Consultancy Corp Ltd

sorry need new glasses should be G-CDVV/XX626/W-02

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

Luke28 wrote:I don't know if its already been mentioned but what was the deal with the Jags not doing a taxi run?

I had thought they were going to do that again this year (I confess I didn't check on the programme at the time) but obviously not.

Re. the B-52 and the commentary, their home (Minot AFB, North Dakota) is pronounced 'My-not' (and not Mee-know!) - well that's what I thought. Unless I've had it wrong all this time!?

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

paulb1973 wrote:
Luke28 wrote:I don't know if its already been mentioned but what was the deal with the Jags not doing a taxi run?

I had thought they were going to do that again this year (I confess I didn't check on the programme at the time) but obviously not.

Re. the B-52 and the commentary, their home (Minot AFB, North Dakota) is pronounced 'My-not' (and not Mee-know!) - well that's what I thought. Unless I've had it wrong all this time!?

If Jonathan Ruffle said the grass was green I'd get a second opinion.

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

NTG1610 wrote:
NTG1610 wrote:
sunwing wrote:Has anybody got a full list for the show including all items dotted around hangers

Many thanks
Paul

G-CBBR/XX625/W-02 Scottish Aviation Bulldog Srs.120 Model.121 Elite Consultancy Corp Ltd

sorry need new glasses should be G-CDVV/XX626/W-02

more corrections G-BUXT is in fact G-CIJV/LG+01 CASA 1.133 Jungmeister

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

NTG1610 wrote:more corrections G-BUXT is in fact G-CIJV

:hypno: :cool:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

paulb1973 wrote:

Completely irrelevant, but I'd say "minnow" personally.

The Americans do say "My-not", but then they also say "Birming-ham", and as a Brit, even if I was in Alabama, I wouldn't say I was going to "Birming-ham". :grin:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
paulb1973 wrote:

Completely irrelevant, but I'd say "minnow" personally.

The Americans do say "My-not", but then they also say "Birming-ham", and as a Brit, even if I was in Alabama, I wouldn't say I was going to "Birming-ham". :grin:

Made me laugh at the air fetes when they pronounce jaguar as jag-war
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

I'm not jumping on something else to knock the show for here just for the sake of it but there was an Italian H-101 down for static display in the programme, I know discussions were on going with Italy, the organisers must have been pretty confident of it attending too include it in the programme and do a featured piece on it, shame that it didn't come to fruition.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Just been reading the reviews on Facebook and sadly the negatives far outweigh the positives.Some even asking for refunds.Some saying it took two hours to get out.Extortionate prices for food-£8.80 for a pork bap,£2.50 for a cup of tea being a few examples.Truly awful commentary.Falling asleep,the flying display was that boring.It saddens me that they have gone this far back after the excellent 2015 show.I know the weather didn't help but that can't be blamed for everything.

Rebecca_1984

Post by Rebecca_1984 »

What really gets me is looking at Facebook and indeed this site is that people said last year the commentator was not able to view what was going on and yet it seems the same this year, makes you ask if feedback actually will be taken on board and acted upon.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

TYPHOON3 wrote:Just been reading the reviews on Facebook and sadly the negatives far outweigh the positives.Some even asking for refunds.Some saying it took two hours to get out.Extortionate prices for food-£8.80 for a pork bap,£2.50 for a cup of tea being a few examples.Truly awful commentary.Falling asleep,the flying display was that boring.It saddens me that they have gone this far back after the excellent 2015 show.I know the weather didn't help but that can't be blamed for everything.

I was waiting for some moron (Not you Typhoon3) too suggest this.

nighthawk999

Post by nighthawk999 »

I was chatting to a chap yesterday who seemed surprised that the Vulcan wasn't displaying this year!He looked miffed when I told him why-as in it no longer flies.
Odd really because he didn't appear to be from another planet.
Fully agree with the concensus so far;Terrible commentary for those without scanners able to listen to the control tower.
Weak flying display in parts at least but the weather didn't help that.
Very helpful RAF personnel because I didn't know my way around as a first-timer.
Superb exhibition hangars,with lots of photo-opps.
The apparently poor traffic/parking set-up didn't affect us luckily but I feel sorry for those affected.We were on one of the many coaches,and got into and out of the place quite quickly.
Almost certainly I'll be going in 2017.

andrewn

Post by andrewn »

I too noticed the extortionate catering prices and cannot fathom how the events team thought it acceptable to charge £2.50 for a hot drink and £6 for a burger. Pure greed and totally indefensible. That said the vintage village was offering tea/coffee and hot chocolate for a more sensible £1.50.

This is definitely one that is in the power of the organisers to influence, and though it might seem trivial, its a deal breaker for a family of four on a budget, and whom are hungry and thirsty. On a similar note £5 for 10mins on an inflatable slide is also scandalous.

As you may have noticed from previous posts i had a good day out and am supportive of the Cosford team when it comes to events outside of their control, but ripping people off is both bad manners and bad business practice.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

TYPHOON3 wrote:Just been reading the reviews on Facebook and sadly the negatives far outweigh the positives.Some even asking for refunds.Some saying it took two hours to get out.Extortionate prices for food-£8.80 for a pork bap,£2.50 for a cup of tea being a few examples.Truly awful commentary.Falling asleep,the flying display was that boring.It saddens me that they have gone this far back after the excellent 2015 show.I know the weather didn't help but that can't be blamed for everything.

An idiot who pays £8.80 for a pork bap, frankly, deserves all they get.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:

An idiot who pays £8.80 for a pork bap, frankly, deserves all they get.

Pork, bread and apple sauce?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

I understand and support the grumbles about the commentary, lack of information regarding cancellations, poor static positioning etc but surely anybody thats been to an airshow before, or indeed any outdoor event, knew exactly what they were letting themselves in for with regards food pricing? I know at RIAT that the catering company pays for a pitch and then set there own prices on what they sell, I gather this is the same at Cosford? not really the event organisers fault that the prices are so high. Bringing your own sandwhiches etc is the obvious solution.

Rebecca_1984

Post by Rebecca_1984 »

£2.50 for a hot drink and £8 for a pork roll, I need to get myself a burger van I'm in the wrong line of work :lol: On a serious note I had my own food with me and a flask of coffee, I'm trying to eat sensibly at the moment and at those sort of prices at least I won't get tempted to eat fast food.

Timc

Post by Timc »

Interesting point about the extortionate prices for food etc, but it might be worth considering how much does it cost for "the" vender to "pitch-up" at certain events and then make a profit. Organisers of events are equally responsible for the sky-high prices surely?

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Extortionate prices for food-£8.80 for a pork bap,£2.50 for a cup of tea

Thus was it ever so - if you ever read anything about any event in this country since 1945 (and probably before that) which includes the prices of things like eats and drinks and then compare them to typical wages of the period you will find the ratio has remained pretty constant.

As I'm normally on my own when I'm at an airshow I can't easily leave all my camera stuff etc and go off looking for catering facilities so I take my own tuck. For the price of 1 burger and 1 hot drink I can keep myself fully stocked up with food all day and its probably a darn sight better quality and more healthy than a frozen horse burger with burnt onions and plastic cheese.

Maccyd

Post by Maccyd »

For what it's worth I had a great day. I've been to many airshows over the years and if you get the full flying display promoted then you're very lucky. I recall muliple Vulcan cancellations, and Eurofighter dissapointments at Leuchars, and that's without weather considerations. This was my first Cosford and while it did not reach expectations,what can you do when act's cancel and the weather closes in?. I set out to have a good day and this was achieved.

We all knew this was not RIAT, or even last years Cosford line up. I still drove from Glasgow and considered it good value for my £26.50, less if I'd booked earlier. Shame on the doom mongers not prepared to invest £20(ish) to support a local event? good value for a day out even with a weaker line up. Wait till you have the very limited shows we have north of the border.

I found parking in the morning easy, and was not surprised with the inevitable queues to depart, so had planned to take the time to see the rest of the museum, then left without any real issues to complete the journey.

For me there were no surprises, not a great line up,even before cancellations,expensive food on site, and traffic issues. I managed to work around those by not having expectations that would (almost inevitably) lead to dissapointment. The commentary was poor, but it made me smile...I know that was not the intention, but when they can't see a Herc on approach when all of the crowd are pointing!!! words fail me, words clearly failed them too....

Nice show where fate conspired against it, needs to be supported not ruthlessly criticised.

globemaster50

Post by globemaster50 »

Enjoyed yesterday, certainly not the best but not the worst. The commentary was pretty awful though and uninspiring. I did manage to see the B-52 (briefly!) through the clouds though and enjoyed the Gazelle Squadron (I've missed that whine!). My girlfriend's first airshow and she enjoyed the Typhoon and Apache.
I think the organisers did a good job and it was a shame about the weather cancellations and trouble getting out because of the accident. It was never going to be up there with last year's show though and I expected that. I will keep going to Cosford because it's traditionally my first show of the season and one of these years I will finally manage to get that helicopter pleasure flight!

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

There are some positives, it's always nice to see the DCAE airframes out and about same goes for the museum aircraft. The Avro 707 looked lovely In the morning sun.
The Great War display team put on a good display improved by the pyros.
Typhoon seemed louder than ever and gave a good display with plenty of burner.
Chinook display still looks great even if it seemed a little further away this year.
King air special paint scheme was a decent catch for static.
I finally caught a glimpse of a flying tutor 3 ship formation that's a tick of the bucket list.

smr

Post by smr »

Did we miss a lot btw? We got there just as the Typhoon was flying. That was around 12ish, maybe 12.30. Last year I rememeber a few things before the Typhoon like parachutists etc.