The People’s Mosquito

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
The Baron

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Post by The Baron »

Berf wrote:
Shortfinals wrote:
Berf wrote:
Shortfinals wrote:On another front, The People's Mosquito were just made Full Members of Aviation Heritage UK. AHUK delegates voted TPM in by an overwhelming majority at their recent meeting at RAF Halton.

Whoops - that's a dangerous one for this forum bearing in mind who the chairman of Aviation Heritage UK is.

I'd just like to point out the Aviation Heritage UK is the 'gold standard' organisation for aviation museums and preservation organisations in the UK, and runs the highly-acclaimed ' Stopping The Rot' Conferences (see below for example of their content),

"The John Bagley Memorial Lecture – a permanent feature of the conference - will be given by Andrew McGlynn, Head of Development at the RAF Museum, on the Dornier Do-17z recovery and fundraising. Another speaker will be Dave Morris, Curator of Aircraft at the Fleet Air Arm Museum and he will focus on the restoration of the museum’s Grumman Martlet and its French connection. Matthew Hick from the National Railway Museum and Peter Collins from Rolls Royce will focus on the Charter for Heritage Volunteering and the development of best practice. Other speakers will address conservation issues, Comet 4C weatherproofing, Comet C Mk2 recovery and a Bolingbroke restoration."

I should be very cautious how you applied the word 'dangerous' to AHUK - particularly since I served on its National Executive when it was known as BAPC !

Let's be clear Shortfinals I did not apply the word dangerous to to the AHUK - I said dangerous one - for this forum. This bears in mind the attitude taken by some to a certain person debated ad nauseum on this forum. It has nothing to do with any of the two organisations mentioned.

I'm not sure that AHUK and UKHAT are the same thing...
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Aviation Heritage UK (AHUK) was formerly known as BAPC (British Aviation Preservation Council), which was originally formed back in the 1960s by a number of like-minded aviation groups / museums; its name changed about 18 months ago.

https://aviationheritageuk.org/

It was heavily involved in the compilation of the National Aviation Heritage Register, which recognises / notes the status of the majority of the preserved airframes in the UK.
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Berf

Post by Berf »

The Baron wrote:
Berf wrote:
Shortfinals wrote:
Berf wrote:
Shortfinals wrote:On another front, The People's Mosquito were just made Full Members of Aviation Heritage UK. AHUK delegates voted TPM in by an overwhelming majority at their recent meeting at RAF Halton.

Whoops - that's a dangerous one for this forum bearing in mind who the chairman of Aviation Heritage UK is.

I'd just like to point out the Aviation Heritage UK is the 'gold standard' organisation for aviation museums and preservation organisations in the UK, and runs the highly-acclaimed ' Stopping The Rot' Conferences (see below for example of their content),

"The John Bagley Memorial Lecture – a permanent feature of the conference - will be given by Andrew McGlynn, Head of Development at the RAF Museum, on the Dornier Do-17z recovery and fundraising. Another speaker will be Dave Morris, Curator of Aircraft at the Fleet Air Arm Museum and he will focus on the restoration of the museum’s Grumman Martlet and its French connection. Matthew Hick from the National Railway Museum and Peter Collins from Rolls Royce will focus on the Charter for Heritage Volunteering and the development of best practice. Other speakers will address conservation issues, Comet 4C weatherproofing, Comet C Mk2 recovery and a Bolingbroke restoration."

I should be very cautious how you applied the word 'dangerous' to AHUK - particularly since I served on its National Executive when it was known as BAPC !

Let's be clear Shortfinals I did not apply the word dangerous to to the AHUK - I said dangerous one - for this forum. This bears in mind the attitude taken by some to a certain person debated ad nauseum on this forum. It has nothing to do with any of the two organisations mentioned.

I'm not sure that AHUK and UKHAT are the same thing...

I think you are confused - none of the previous was anything to do with UKHAT

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

NAM Updater wrote:Aviation Heritage UK (AHUK) was formerly known as BAPC (British Aviation Preservation Council), which was originally formed back in the 1960s by a number of like-minded aviation groups / museums; its name changed about 18 months ago.

https://aviationheritageuk.org/

It was heavily involved in the compilation of the National Aviation Heritage Register, which recognises / notes the status of the majority of the preserved airframes in the UK.

Thank you for clarifying this, Howard
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

'JustGiving' Fund Raising Launch Campaign

Today, The People's Mosquito have announced their 'JustGiving' Launch Campaign for the Front End Engineering stage of the build. Every £ spent on Front End Engineering saves many £'s later in the build. This campaign has been designed to make it easy for everyone who wants to donate - even a small amount - to do so. By supporting The People's Mosquito, you will be ensuring that YOUR Mosquito takes to the air, following a superb restoration by those masters in the field, Retrotec.

Full details are here http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/2018/ ... -uk-build/

Every donation helps!

And, thank you........

Ross

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

A huge thank you to all those who visited TPM's stand at Old Warden, today and showed their support. And many thanks to the Airfield Fire Service and SVAS, too! A beautiful day, but 31C is no joke.........

bit.ly/LaunchTPM

See you all at RIAT (or Legends, we'll have a stand at both) Please drop by and ask us all those interesting questions!

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Stewart Charman, the Director of Communications for The People's Mosquito has just issued the following statement in response to several queries.

"The People's Mosquito were offered the Mosquito wing jigs by the owner and it would have been foolish to turn down the opportunity to secure such an valuable asset. We’ll be bringing them back to the UK as soon as we can, along with our wing ribs, which are already complete.

Following the launch of our targeted fundraising campaign this month, we will continue to work with Retrotec to advance our UK-build plan, the advantages of which greatly outweigh any challenges. To this end, Guy Black of Retrotec, the world renowned aircraft restorers, will shortly be spending time with TPM's Ross Sharp to discuss our 22,000 plus collection of Mosquito drawings, and advanced engineering planning for the project. bit.ly/LaunchTPM "

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Well, back in March I said I'd be bunging some cash towards TPM.
At RIAT on Friday morning, I made good that promise.
Good to meet the enthusiastic people manning the TPM stand, and nice to hear so many have South Walian backgrounds :biggrin:
Another TPM Club Member added to the ranks :up:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

BillRamsey

Post by BillRamsey »

Thank you and welcome. The team had a great RIAT as did our other team at Legends on what was undoubtedly our most ambitious weekend to date. Many new friends made all round.

Bill

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

I meant to drop in at RIAT but with only one day at the show it was rather full on.... I did however spend some time with the team at Legends on Sunday and joined the club (car blew up the other week and has been replaced rather than serviced!) I look forward to future developments!

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Mike wrote:There seems to now be another organisation planning to bring an airworthy Mosquito to the UK

I hope they are successful, and will be giving them my support. They seem to have a credible and achievable plan.

https://www.thewoodenwonder.org.uk

Further to this - mods may want to make this a separate thread?

[fb-post]https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2184539698496581&id=1958752531075300[/fb-post]

BREAKING NEWS....BREAKING NEWS....BREAKING NEWS

The Mosquito Pathfinder Trust today announces a commercial understanding with the Aircraft Restoration Company (ARC), owned by the highly respected warbird pilot John Romain.

ARC have been engaged by the Trust to provide the suite of Engineering and Design Services to NZ2308 (the aircraft selected for airworthy restoration).

The Mosquito Pathfinder Trust have also engaged with ARC to provide flight test and validation program services before bringing the aircraft back to the UK, and to continue to be responsible for flying standards and pilot services when the aircraft is operational.

The team at The Mosquito Pathfinder Trust are also looking into the prospect of basing NZ2308 at Duxford, the historic airfield in Cambridgeshire, thereby giving the public access to the aircraft when it is not displaying at airshows.

Completion of NZ2308 is anticipated to be within 24 months and with the support and generosity of the public, The Mosquito Pathfinder Trust is confident a Mosquito will return to the skies over Britain in 2020.

https://www.thewoodenwonder.org.uk/de-h ... uito-build
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

BillRamsey

Post by BillRamsey »

I’m pleased the MPT has come to your notice. Finally, the public has a clear choice between the TPM vision of the first British built Mosquito in 75 years or so, and MPT finally deciding on a particular airframe to be restored in NZ and thereafter imported. I’m sure you will put MPT to the same scrutiny as you have, quite rightly, with TPM (and others). I agree we got off to a bad start on this forum, but I hope you will agree we try very hard to be as open as possible these days. In the end we all want to see a Mossie flying here again so perhaps it doesn’t matter if it’s TPM or MPT - except the pool of money is small to do one let alone two. To be clear, before the question comes - TPM approached MPT offering to cooperate prior to last Christmas, meetings were held, but MPT elected to continue alone. We remain open to discussion.

Bill R
Ops Director
The Peoples Mosquito

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Bill, after mulling it over this afternoon I remain 100% behind TPM - while of course we all want to see a Mosquito in the UK, I have more faith in the plans laid out by yourself and the team, and trust that the job of a British-restored Mosquito will be fulfilled. That being said, I'm afraid my support is restricted to moral support rather than financial, being a cash-strapped student - maybe Christmas might bring me a TPM membership :grin:

Best of luck, I hope that your fundraising efforts will not be too drastically affected, and perhaps one day we will have 2 Mosquitoes flying in the UK!
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

BillRamsey

Post by BillRamsey »

Thanks Pringles, I’m all for an open and honest discussion. Like all of us I just want to see a Mossie back in our skies. Competition is usually a good thing and yes, two Mosquitos would be fantastic. The reality I’m afraid is even one costs a fortune so, at least to start with, it would be best to get behind the project you believe will succeed. I’m glad you think that’s us. Other folks will have to look at the evidence and decide for themselves.

Cheers

Bill
(Ops Director TPM)

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

My die is cast - I'm with TPM. Got the t-shirt and in the club (that sounds wrong!)

Which is not to say I wouldn't be glad to see both up (together!) but only two years for MPT? Are they buying into a half-done project with the remaining needs accounted for? What's their relationship with CAA, because I thought their absence from the early part of projects to date was an issue and MPT would appear on the face of it to be in the same boat?

In the meantime, crack on TPM.

John

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

FarnboroJohn wrote:My die is cast - I'm with TPM. Got the t-shirt and in the club (that sounds wrong!)

Which is not to say I wouldn't be glad to see both up (together!) but only two years for MPT? Are they buying into a half-done project with the remaining needs accounted for? ...

Yes, yes they are. It's been for sale as a project for some time, Glyn Powell not having the funds to complete it himself.

https://www.thewoodenwonder.org.uk/de-h ... uito-build

The Mosquito Pathfinder Trust have selected the airframe of NZ2308, built to date by Glyn Powell, to be completed and returned to airworthy status before bringing the aircraft to the UK. The aircraft is currently 50 percent complete, with fitting-out soon to be commenced. The project will be completed by Avspecs in New Zealand, with Design Authority Oversight being provided by Aircraft Restoration Company (ARC) based at Duxford, UK
NZ2308's airframe is now complete and like KA114 has been manufactured strictly in accordance with original de Havilland drawings and build standards. A number of improvements have been introduced to the original design including superior adhesives and airframe strengthening modifications, all designed to enhance the safety and longevity of the structure. NZ2308's airframe has now reached the fitting-out stage, but much work remains to be done including the installation of flying controls, undercarriage, engines and propellers.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

This is a difficult one,

a 50% completed Mossie, or the TPM one?

This cannot be good for either project as it dilutes the money pool, but having seen the pic of the 'opposition' you have to say thay have something more tangible right now, than, the TPM, although the TPM do have a huge amount of drawings.

The public, i fear, wont be able to see a 'who started first' with a UK Mossie, they will see the porgress so far in pictures and vote with their feet on what they can see.

I sincerely hope both succeed, but.......... if the market (and by market i mean airshows and sustainability (financially)) can only afford 1, then i fear for what 'might' be perceived by the larger public as the project that has nothing of substance to show for it.

Imagine 2 in the air, my word, the thought of that alone is enough for me having been at Bovvie but didnt see them fly during filming, but seeing 299 at airshows until that fateful day.
Got to love Russianhardware

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

I don’t see this as an either or. TPM has become a good set up with the right people in place but of course a huge fundraising goal. On the other hand, another team has the funds to invest in a part built project.

Good luck to them both. Maybe in a decade or so we’ll be blessed with two, particularly if avenues can be explored for extra revenue generation once flying. :smile:

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

After a tour of the Biggin HIll Heritage Hangar they pointed out a pair of Merlins earmarked for 'their' Mosquito. Is that linked to either of these projects?

McG

Post by McG »

farnboroughrob wrote:After a tour of the Biggin HIll Heritage Hangar they pointed out a pair of Merlins earmarked for 'their' Mosquito. Is that linked to either of these projects?

Are the BHHH not getting their own Mosquito built?

Could we potentially be looking at going from having Zero flying Mosquito's in the UK to having 3 within a few years time frame?

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

McG wrote:
farnboroughrob wrote:After a tour of the Biggin HIll Heritage Hangar they pointed out a pair of Merlins earmarked for 'their' Mosquito. Is that linked to either of these projects?

Are the BHHH not getting their own Mosquito built?

Could we potentially be looking at going from having Zero flying Mosquito's in the UK to having 3 within a few years time frame?

Don't! the thought is way too much for me to think about this Sunday afternoon :hypno: :dizzy: :grin:
Got to love Russianhardware

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Just like buses, really. You wait ages for one, then...

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

I’m sure I heard BHHH had dropped out of their project
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

BillRamsey

Arthur Williams films for TPM

Post by BillRamsey »

Just to let you know we are busy working with Arthur Williams to make a short film covering Guy Blacks preparations to restore RL249. Seems like Arthur enjoyed the first day of filming!

Bill Ramsey
Ops Director TPM

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... NKGWsFVAdM

Spiny Norman

Re: Arthur Williams films for TPM

Post by Spiny Norman »

BillRamsey wrote:Just to let you know we are busy working with Arthur Williams to make a short film covering Guy Blacks preparations to restore RL249. Seems like Arthur enjoyed the first day of filming!

Bill Ramsey
Ops Director TPM

Arthur's great. Naturally enthusiastic and a good communicator. Looking forward to seeing this.