Albrighton Cricket & Tennis Club - CLOSED 2016

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Flare Path

Re: Albrighton Cricket & Tennis Club - CLOSED 2016

Post by Flare Path »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Flare Path wrote:
Be interested to know when you did spot me.

I've used the cricket club for parking once. The last time I went to Cosford. Which I think was 2008...

Troll. End of.

Troll? Interesting. The very definition is lost on a lot of people on this forum - clearly not understanding the correct usage. Very amusing. And I've 'used' the Cricket Club for over a decade, but not on airshow day. :heyhey:

As expected you ignored my inquiry into your alleged sightings of me. Because you made them up.

You posted photos from the Cricket Club on here - I'm not making it up, but what does it matter.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I probably did. Eight years ago. A bit different to your reported, and in no way sinister, "sightings" of me there on numerous occasions. At a location I've used once.

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

Albrighton FC not open either on the 19th June.

Timc

Post by Timc »

Without trying to sound over dramatic but Albrighton will, it would appear be in a state of "lockdown"?!

So the two scenarios are that it will either encourage the CC & FC regulars to buy a ticket or drive people further away thus clogging up the narrow country lane network even further?

Don't really know the answer but will be interesting to see what happens on the day!

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

JonG96 wrote:Albrighton FC not open either on the 19th June.

I was expecting it,Going to be a lot of disappointed freeloaders.I daresay David Austin Roses will follow suit.I can't see many of them buying tickets for the show either.Probably best to spend the weekend down Weston now for a free airshow.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I probably did. Eight years ago. A bit different to your reported, and in no way sinister, "sightings" of me there on numerous occasions. At a location I've used once.

Not sinister - didn't imply that. And whether it was once or multiple times, the fact is I know you've used it previously and in no way did I see the en-masse 'wandering to nearby lanes', you were lying about earlier.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Flare Path wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:I probably did. Eight years ago. A bit different to your reported, and in no way sinister, "sightings" of me there on numerous occasions. At a location I've used once.

Not sinister - didn't imply that. And whether it was once or multiple times, the fact is I know you've used it previously and in no way did I see the en-masse 'wandering to nearby lanes', you were lying about earlier.

You said you've SEEN me there MULTIPLE times. Which, plainly, is made-up bull.

Still, nice to know you take such a keen interest in me.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Flare Path wrote:

You said you've SEEN me there MULTIPLE times. Which, plainly, is made-up bull.

If that's true, are you really the person to be telling us how the field has been operating all these years?

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

You do know that you're the only person insisting, in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that people stay in the cricket club to watch?

As usual, taking the contrary position purely to troll.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:You do know that you're the only person insisting, in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that people stay in the cricket club to watch?

People pay to watch at the cricket club. They do not 'wander' all over the place, as was suggested earlier. Such claims are (potentially) more damaging than the club being closed this year.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Flare Path wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:You do know that you're the only person insisting, in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that people stay in the cricket club to watch?

People pay to watch at the cricket club. They do not 'wander' all over the place, as was suggested earlier. Such claims are (potentially) more damaging than the club being closed this year.

Some people did leave their cars on the Cricket Club and walk down the lane to the field next to the grass covered hangar.Some even set Gazebos up.Most people did however stay put on the Cricket Club field.

Peter345

Post by Peter345 »

Cor blimey, some of you really are childish aren't you.

Having been to the cricket club for the last 3 years I can confirm that some people wander off site while many set up camp near their cars for the day and enjoy a laid back day out.
I prefer the latter, having been to the show before and thus endured the queues to get in and out, a place to chill out with friends/family for the day (with bbq/bar etc) and be able to drive straight home after is quite appealing. I reckon this is the case for many there.

Oh and many of the aircraft do fly directly over the cricket club, the Typhoon turning and burning over your head is quite a sight (and sound!) and the Canberra pretty much zoom climbing right over us a few years ago was the highlight of the show that year.
I live 15 min from Cosford but prefer to spend my money on other shows, so wouldn't be buying a show ticket anyway.

Edit: Just seen on Facebook that David Austin Roses will be closed also.

Peter

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Also on the David Austin website saying they are closed that day.That just leaves the Hunt Club now who may now open just to annoy the Cricket Club who they didn't use to get on with.I doubt it though.

CJS

Post by CJS »

The thread that keeps on giving. Don't stop chaps. :-o :-D
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Well said, Peter!
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

AlphaVictor

Post by AlphaVictor »

TYPHOON3 wrote:Also on the David Austin website saying they are closed that day.That just leaves the Hunt Club now who may now open just to annoy the Cricket Club who they didn't use to get on with.I doubt it though.

Been going to Cosford (on base) on and off for years, but didn't know that you could view from Austins and just for info where is the Hunt Club, never heard of that one?

I've been to the Cricket club once and that was after I had bought tickets for the showground (but did pass them on).The reason for doing so was a different angle for photography.
I must admit though the times where aircraft were overhead it was exhilarating (negating the consequences for the moment)

I've tickets for 4 days at RIAT but was willing to use one of the farms one day for a different photography angle. What I'm alluding to is that there are all types of people with different reasons for using these vantage points whether it's not having to queue to get in and out, being tight a***d or the photo geek trying for that great shot.

But hey the arguments are getting a bit hypothetical now as closed they are.

AlphaVictor

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

AlphaVictor wrote:
TYPHOON3 wrote:Also on the David Austin website saying they are closed that day.That just leaves the Hunt Club now who may now open just to annoy the Cricket Club who they didn't use to get on with.I doubt it though.

Been going to Cosford (on base) on and off for years, but didn't know that you could view from Austins and just for info where is the Hunt Club, never heard of that one?

I've been to the Cricket club once and that was after I had bought tickets for the showground (but did pass them on).The reason for doing so was a different angle for photography.
I must admit though the times where aircraft were overhead it was exhilarating (negating the consequences for the moment)

I've tickets for 4 days at RIAT but was willing to use one of the farms one day for a different photography angle. What I'm alluding to is that there are all types of people with different reasons for using these vantage points whether it's not having to queue to get in and out, being tight a***d or the photo geek trying for that great shot.

But hey the arguments are getting a bit hypothetical now as closed they are.

AlphaVictor

Not that it matters for this year but the Hunt club was the smaller (and not as close to the airfield) field next to the Cricket Club.I don't know for certain but I am told David Austin Roses took £30 deposit off you when you entered the car park and took it off your bill if you purchased a rose.Maybe someone else on here can clarify this?

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Cleaned up what was an unbelievably stupid conversation

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

Can anyone answer my question on who the policing cost falls down to ? Is it the event organisers or the standard tax payer ?

My only knowledge of these large events is through briefly working at a professional football club and there policing costs were quite a considerably amount but as these were required for the club to host large crowds the cost fell to the club. Would this be the same with airshows ?

Timc

Post by Timc »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:Can anyone answer my question on who the policing cost falls down to ? Is it the event organisers or the standard tax payer ?

My only knowledge of these large events is through briefly working at a professional football club and there policing costs were quite a considerably amount but as these were required for the club to host large crowds the cost fell to the club. Would this be the same with airshows ?

I'd imagine it falls to the tax payer as the policing of the roads around Cosford tends to be with Traffic Cops on motorcycles rather than the regular Police Force. Any road closures are more likely to be manned by RAF personnel as witnessed in the past.

Unlike a football match I don't know of too many rival gangs of Air Show enthusiasts who are hell-bent on kicking seven bells out of each other, but I might be wrong?! :grin:

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

Timc wrote: I don't know of too many rival gangs of Air Show enthusiasts who are hell-bent on kicking seven bells out of each other, but I might be wrong?! :grin:

Is it wrong that i'd pay to see that though?

You could put it on in the arena after the dog display, but before the band.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Just noticed the Hunt Club website still have the airshow listed in the 'Whats On' section.I don't know for certain if they are still opening their field?One Mad rush for the freeloaders if they are, as it seems their only option left.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:Can anyone answer my question on who the policing cost falls down to ? Is it the event organisers or the standard tax payer ?

It falls to the Event Organiser. And it is a massive sum of money.

kevinc

Post by kevinc »

By closing the so called naughty fields is going to create a big problem in controlling people who will not be attending the show .Cosford is surrounded by big towns and hundreds if not thousands will be arriving on show day to go to the naughty fields which they properly used before . When arriving and finding all fields are closed is going to create more traffic problems and spread people out in a wider area looking for a vantage point . By having the naughty fields the air show organisers at least know we're people spectating are and maybe can change display so not to go directly over . Ok not always possible but it as to be better than having hundreds of people all over the place trying to get and standing under display . If organisers think all these people will just turn around and go home I think they are being a bit optimistic

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

PeterR wrote:

It falls to the Event Organiser. And it is a massive sum of money.

I thought it did, Cosford I imagine makes enough to cover it, but smaller shows may suffer being hit with an extra bill.