Bad Experience with Model Hobbies

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
Tbolt

Bad Experience with Model Hobbies

Post by Tbolt »

https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/

I just wanted to warn others about my experience with this company so they don't get caught out like me.

I ordered direct from their website with Paypal and the order never turned up so I filed a dispute with Paypal. Then they offered to send another parcel, but to authorize that they want you to close the dispute. I did this, having used this company before with a credit card and had no problems with them, but then nothing turned up and now I have lost my money and can't claim anything now as you can't open a closed dispute. After some digging around I have found other people that have not had their orders turn up.

Paypal don't seem to have any interest in this now the dispute is closed, but it appears to me that a a system that is designed to protect the buyer can be used against them. I should have paid more attention to what was going on but you know what it's like when you are busy.

If you have used Model Hobbies before but not had a problem or are thinking about using them just be careful.

Phantom 892

Re: Bad Experience with Model Hobbies

Post by Phantom 892 »

I have also had problems with them of a similar nature - but used paypal and they recovered my money.
I was very unimpressed with them, as i had been a regular customer.

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Phantom 892 wrote:I have also had problems with them of a similar nature - but used paypal and they recovered my money.
I was very unimpressed with them, as i had been a regular customer.

Yes unfortunately that was my mistake closing the dispute. I've posted this on another forum and a few more people have said they have had problem with things not turning up from Model Hobbies as well.

The fact that they would do this to a regular customer just shows you how stupid they are being, as they could have made a lot more money from you had you carried on using them, which is the same for me.
Last edited by Tbolt on Tue 16 Aug 2016, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timc

Post by Timc »

Perhaps reporting them to Trading Standards might be a way forward providing they are a UK
Operation?

Surely they can't conduct business in this way for very long?

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Timc wrote:Perhaps reporting them to Trading Standards might be a way forward providing they are a UK
Operation?

Surely they can't conduct business in this way for very long?

Yes I will look at doing that.

From what I've read from other people as well it seems like if they have it in stock you will get what you paid for, but some people seem to get nothing or a partial order, but charged for the full order and never get the rest of it. I guess it's hard to prove they are doing something wrong, but I would have thought they would have flagged up to Paypal with the amount of claims they had against them for nondelivery. Is it a case of Paypal aren't loosing out so they are not that worried? It is surprising how long Model Hobbies seem to have been trading for like this.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Mmm, just having a similar experience with them myself. Fortunately it's only a sheet of decals but its been nearly a fortnight now and although I've tried contacting them through evilbay they still don't answer. Seems they've had 7 negative feedback's this month already. I was going to purchase the new Tamiya Tomcat from them as it was a good deal but not now....... :down: :dunno:
...Rad shutters auto.

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Sorry to here you are having a similar experience.

I did eventually get a refund from them after a lot of phone calls. They kept claiming that PayPal were blocking their money after the dispute claim and in the end were saying that I needed to sort it out, when I told them I had contacted PayPal and that this was not the case they refunded my money. I think they though that I would just give up but when they realized that I wasn't going to stop calling them that's when they decided to give my money back.

They don't seem to answer emails or messages but if you are using PayPal put in a dispute and you will find Model Hobbies will suddenly contact you then!

eModels has the Tamiya F-14 for £67.49 https://www.emodels.co.uk/tamiya-1-48-g ... l-kit.html
I've found them to be a good trader and they have a shop which you can go to.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Thank you for your input. It's not that they seem to have a continuous issue with feedback as there are 1000's of positives on there but when it happens to you it's just annoying.... The lack of communication is the worst.
Anyway, will see what happens and will let you know.

Yes, I know about E models and they are a much better company to deal with ( and I have loads of times) but it was the free postage offer that would have been the clincher....
...Rad shutters auto.

CMS

Post by CMS »

keithjs wrote:Thank you for your input. It's not that they seem to have a continuous issue with feedback as there are 1000's of positives on there but when it happens to you it's just annoying.... The lack of communication is the worst.
Anyway, will see what happens and will let you know.

Yes, I know about E models and they are a much better company to deal with ( and I have loads of times) but it was the free postage offer that would have been the clincher....

Sometimes trying to save a couple of pounds is not the way to go. I guess read the reviews and use a company that is trustworthy rather than try and get the absolute cheapest price is the sensible way to go. Once bitten.....

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Indeed, but with 99.7% positive feedback you'd have thought they may be a somewhat reputable dealer.
Just shows that the feedback 'system' doesn't really mean a lot if you get caught in the .3% bracket..... :dunno:

Won't be using them again I can assure you. :surrender:
...Rad shutters auto.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Just got a full refund via paypal from Model Hobbies. :up:
...Rad shutters auto.

CMS

Post by CMS »

keithjs wrote:Indeed, but with 99.7% positive feedback you'd have thought they may be a somewhat reputable dealer.
Just shows that the feedback 'system' doesn't really mean a lot if you get caught in the .3% bracket..... :dunno:

Won't be using them again I can assure you. :surrender:

That's really difficult to make an informed choice when the rating seems so positive. I trust it will be slightly lower now you've added your rating!

skippiebg

Post by skippiebg »

Me too...

On 16 March, I ordered a scale model kit from modelhobbies.co.uk for delivery to my address in Bulgaria. I paid by PayPal -- lucky as it happens, as will become clear below. The same day I got am email that the order had been sent. This didn't specify mail or courier and had no tracking number.

The Covid-19 crisis was beginning just as I ordered the kit, so when I didn't get the kit within the usual ten days, I let things ride. By mid-May mail between the UK and Bulgaria was back in action. I should mention that in 25 years of living in Bulgaria I've never had an item go missing in the mail -- unexpectedly brill service!

On 9 June I rand Model Hobbies but got no reply (in fairness, the website did say the phones weren't manned during the lockdown). I then emailed them asking for details of how the order had been sent. No reply. On 11 June I repeated my query. No reply again!

I then started a PayPal dispute and got my money back. Lucky I used them to pay!

Looking through review sites, I've noticed a weird thing -- half the posts are damning and the other half are full of praise. The praise ones, however, tend to use the same phrases ("cannot fault them") which gives the game away :)

The upshot is -- do not use Model Hobbies. They are bunch of conmen, as far as I am concerned.