Just Jane news

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
nx611_1945

Just Jane news

Post by nx611_1945 »

News on the continued restoration of NX611 http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lan ... ogress.htm

planenuttoo

Re: Just Jane news

Post by planenuttoo »

That is encouraging, let's hope that this now provides the impetus to move forward.

NickB

Post by NickB »

That's good news.

Looking at the remaining runway of only c.1200yds, what is the plan for operating the Lanc once airworthy? I guess they will operate it from elsewhere, but it still needs to get there from EK so is the remaining runway going to be temporarily extended?

NickB

Post by NickB »

To answer my own question:

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/Runway-may.htm

Didn't realise it was possible to operate a Lanc from grass? I guess it would be very lightly loaded compared to wartime ops!

Dr_Q

Post by Dr_Q »

I'm sure in the Dambusters film, the take off for the raid shows them taking off three abreast on grass?

RIAT (Mach 2)
Wings over Houston

er, that's about it this year I reckon.

NickB

Post by NickB »

Dr_Q wrote:I'm sure in the Dambusters film, the take off for the raid shows them taking off three abreast on grass?

Quite possibly - not seen it in a while.

Orientation of the proposed grass runway doesn't look ideal - not sure what cross-wind limits are like for the Lanc? I would have a thought a safer alternative would be to extend the existing tarmac runway?

pb643

Post by pb643 »

NickB wrote:
Dr_Q wrote:I'm sure in the Dambusters film, the take off for the raid shows them taking off three abreast on grass?

Orientation of the proposed grass runway doesn't look ideal - not sure what cross-wind limits are like for the Lanc? I would have a thought a safer alternative would be to extend the existing tarmac runway?

The existing tarmac runway is the shortened original runway. If you have a look at an aerial photo the other half still exists to the east, but unfortunately separated by a public road.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

I am sure Lancs took off from dry firm grass so JJ well stripped down would have no problem.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

NickB wrote:

Or maybe wait until the wind is blowing in the most favourable direction, I'm sure I've heard it moves around. :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

pb643 wrote:The existing tarmac runway is the shortened original runway. If you have a look at an aerial photo the other half still exists to the east, but unfortunately separated by a public road.

No worries then , just get the Council to install traffic lights ( as they do in Switzerland ).....job's a good-un ! :biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Yup - and the Lanc on brakes fully throttled waiting for the green. Just hoping they don't change before he crosses.....!!!!!!!;)

Dragon Rapide

NickB

Post by NickB »

capercaillie wrote:
NickB wrote:

Or maybe wait until the wind is blowing in the most favourable direction, I'm sure I've heard it moves around. :smile:

Well that might be OK for a one off ferry flight to another airfield, but my understanding was that the plan is to operate it permanently from EK? If it is the latter, I would have though the prevailing wind (SW/Westerly surely?) might cause a problem - hence the orientation of the original main runway now bi-sected by a public road.

Quite like the idea of barrier and lights at take-off time - looks like a quiet country road! But could you imagine the amount of Local council/ Highways Dept/'elf & safety red tape to get something like that done?!!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Operate a heavy class WWII bomber from a grass strip of 550 metres or a concrete one of 360 metres. Don't see that happening in a hurry, I'm sure it will have to go elsewhere.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

[quote="NickBQuite like the idea of barrier and lights at take-off time - looks like a quiet country road! But could you imagine the amount of Local council/ Highways Dept/'elf & safety red tape to get something like that done?!![/quote]

Happens all the time at Sumburgh, where a public road crosses one of the runways, so may not be quite the issue you think, especially if its not likely to be every five minutes, every day.

I shall be scooting across said runway looking nervously about me over the next two weeks, will try to remember to photograph the place for you :smile:

John

BillRamsey

Post by BillRamsey »

Just thought I'd make a quick guest appearance here in support of our good friends at East Kirkby. My involvement with them goes back to to to 2001 when as the newly appointed Officer Commanding RAF Scampton I got to meet the Panton's. The late, great Fred kindly gave me back a substantial amount of Scampton memorabilia which he had saved when the Station last closed in 1996. Keep the faith and back Just Jane - I know they are working as hard as the People's Mosquito to make it happen - and they have a lovely Lancaster to start with. Regarding operational Lancs taking off 3 abreast to go on a raid, as a Lancaster pilot myself, I'd doubt it - but it was a great movie.

Bill

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

capercaillie wrote:Operate a heavy class WWII bomber from a grass strip of 550 metres or a concrete one of 360 metres. Don't see that happening in a hurry, I'm sure it will have to go elsewhere.

There's about 4500ft of hard runway at the eastern end of the site (the post war extension of the E-W runway). This was where they did the original high speed, tail up taxi runs for the "Night Flight" BBC drama in the early 2000s. This may be a short term option (unless they've sold the land?).

NickB

Post by NickB »

Using a map distance measure, the remaining runway comes out at c. 3900ft MAX and looks in reasonable condition from Google maps.

@Bill Ramsey - would that be enough to safely attempt a take off in a lightly fuelled Lanc with a good headwnd?

pb643

Post by pb643 »

NickB wrote:Using a map distance measure, the remaining runway comes out at c. 3900ft MAX and looks in reasonable condition from Google maps.

@Bill Ramsey - would that be enough to safely attempt a take off in a lightly fuelled Lanc with a good headwnd?

According to the web Duxford runway is 1199m or 3933ft. For the BBMF, Duxford has proved to be just on the limit of what they consider acceptable, in more recent years under what they consider acceptable. So I think you can safely say it could be done, but is it considered sensible for regular use, I don't know?

There is obviously other factors in play at Duxford, such as the M11. How much that impacts things, I have no idea?

Phil

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

It might be an idea to ask the question of the Lincs Aviation Trust.....

Dragon Rapide

Russ

Post by Russ »

Could they not fly it, very lightly loaded to a longer local airstrip, such as Coningsby for example? And then onwards to a suitable home?

Surely they must have thought of this before they'd even seriously considered restoration?

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Russ wrote:Could they not fly it, very lightly loaded to a longer local airstrip, such as Coningsby for example? And then onwards to a suitable home?

Surely they must have thought of this before they'd even seriously considered restoration?

I understood that it was always the intention to remain at East Kirkby. If the Lancaster were to relocate, then they would loose their star attraction.

BillRamsey

Post by BillRamsey »

Hard to say. In my limited experience, we operated in and out of North Wield, with Dave Thomas at the helm ( who knew what he was doing). I think that's 1881m long. It seemed just about sensible to my inexperienced eye.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Re: the runway, I wrote this following an interview with Andrew Panton back in 2012. I will caveat by saying I can't be certain that the position remains the same four years down the line.

In preparation for the Lancaster’s return to flight, the airfield at East Kirkby will also need to undergo a series of modifications to facilitate the operation of ‘Just Jane’ within the prescribed safety margins. Currently, the airfield has two runways – a 4,000ft concrete runway and a separate grass strip. Either of these runways would need to be extended to 5,500ft in order for the Lancaster to take-off and land with ample space, depending on which strip the Pantons choose to utilise. “Logistically for the museum, the easier option is to develop the grass strip”, says Andrew. “To get to the concrete runway you need to cross a highway, so we’d need to have barriers and lights in place. The preferable options for weather is of course a concrete runway, however I’d imagine it will end up being a grass strip. We’ve already been in contact with the land owners and we have got the go-ahead from them to use their land whenever we need to.”

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

Russ wrote:Could they not fly it, very lightly loaded to a longer local airstrip, such as Coningsby for example? And then onwards to a suitable home?

Plenty of huge boats have been built in back gardens with no thought as to how they will ever be put in the water!

motormouser

Post by motormouser »