MAKS 2017

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Re: MAKS 2017

Post by Skyflash »

spaceward wrote:"Just got my Visa confirmed ". Bloody hell nothing like leaving it to the last minute ? I must say I'd be changing me pants on an hourly basis if I still hadn't had my Visa by at least 2 months ago but then my Wife says I always worry to much.
Can I ask, are you on a tour or DIY ? I'm DIY ing it myself with my Sister and so far we've bought 2 trade day tickets and are hoping to get around quite a few Aviation related museums during our stay.
I've had an email from Aviasalon confirming that my Press Application has been accepted and authorised which is a first but no idea what,if anything it allows me to do anymore than a normal day pass. Maybe a free coffee in the Press tent ? Anyone on here ever had Press Accreditation ?

DIY, meeting up with a couple of other worthies from the forum. No press accreditation for me, the plan at the moment is to spend a day on-base (probably Wednesday) then spend the next three days outside. Can't wait... getting properly excited now!

I wasn't too concerned about my Visa, I knew there wasn't going to be a problem and the whole process was relatively smooth once I had the 'tourist voucher' thingy confirmed. Plus there's a Russian Visa consular office in Edinburgh which is only a short distance from where I live, nice and handy.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Skyflash wrote:DIY, meeting up with a couple of other worthies from the forum.

Now Ive been called lots of things but never a worthy, Im flattered.

Im looking forward to it too, cant wait. :yahoo:
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

f-4

Post by f-4 »

spaceward wrote:I've had an email from Aviasalon confirming that my Press Application has been accepted and authorised which is a first but no idea what,if anything it allows me to do anymore than a normal day pass. Maybe a free coffee in the Press tent ? Anyone on here ever had Press Accreditation ?

Went in '13 and to be honest apart from free entry press ticket was pretty useless unless you spoke Russian. Best images are from outside near the river - I recall there was a 100 euro charge for the 'press stand' south side in the airfield! The coffee wasn't great either...

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

So, that SU-35... best solo jet demonstration of all time?

It's certainly the best I've ever seen. Absolutely outrageous manoeuvrability. :rock:

We were watching the display from the far bank of the river, and to have that magnificent beast blasting away directly above me is a memory which will stay with me forever.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Skyflash wrote:So, that SU-35... best solo jet demonstration of all time?

Quite probably, when you think how high the bar was set with the other displays, the SU-35 stood out even from them.
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Someone has posted a video of it already, looks like it was shot from near where we were standing:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkeJKVk5SE8[/youtube]

And if anyone can explain what in the name of all hell it's up to at about the 6.35m mark, I'd be most grateful! :grin: :shock:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Russian black magic
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Wow!
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I mean the 2015 display was already the best I ever saw, but then this one looks like it's just another level. No other jet can compare!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It's decidedly un-Newtonian. It's like the Rich Goodwin of multi-role combat aircraft displays.

I recall (as will Sam) our guide in Russia when we went in 2015, said it was like an invisible child was playing with a toy.

As Sam said, it was monstrous in 2015, but that's literally unbelievable. How on earth can the pilot and/or airframe sustain that?!?! :joystick:

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Tommy wrote:It's decidedly un-Newtonian. It's like the Rich Goodwin of multi-role combat aircraft displays.

That pretty much describes the Su-35 display to a T!

The video really doesn't do the display justice, it was incredible to watch - by far the best jet display I've seen, makes the Raptor display seem pedestrian by comparison.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

RIAT 2018? Links with our Russian comrades, memories of all those Hurricanes we sent over, Farnborough year - you just know it makes sense.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

iainpeden wrote:RIAT 2018? Links with our Russian comrades, memories of all those Hurricanes we sent over, Farnborough year - you just know it makes sense.
Mr. Putin just have to start behaving decent, else the Russians won't be allowed on the invited list.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Skyflash wrote:So, that SU-35... best solo jet demonstration of all time?

Ive just had a MAKS revisited evening, watching you tube and looking at my pics, and unequivably that was the best solo jet demonstration of all time. Watch the vids on YouTube.

For example look at this one at 5.35-5.55, 6.35-6.55, 7.00-7.15, 7.15-7.30, defies the laws of physics, Russian Black Magic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMJSL4nkH7Y

There are plenty of others to view, utterly amazing, best ever fast jet display.

Whats more, we probably had the best seats in the house :rock: :lol: :biggrin: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
#MOT

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

It's just ridiculous, isn't it? An absolute privilege to have seen that thing up close.

My house has now successfully been rewired so I should shortly be in a position to start my own proper review of MAKS... :grin:

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "MAKS Factor" - Guest writer Gordon 'Skyflash' Duncan ventured behind the Iron Curtain to report back from MAKS 2017 for UK Airshow Review.

Image Image Image Image Image