Phantom Pharewell - Holloman AFB, Dec 20th

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Phantom Pharewell - Holloman AFB, Dec 20th

Post by Skyflash »

Having heard straight from the horse's (rhino's?) mouth about this at Oshkosh, courtesy of a friendly QF-4 driver, I was aware that the USAF was planning some sort of event to mark the official end of the QF-4 programme, which is destined to finish by the end of the year. As I mentioned in my Oshkosh photo thread, the reason for the programme finishing is primarily because the USAF is running out of pilots to fly the F-4... one of the chaps now flying QF-4s has the distinction of being the last American pilot ever to learn to fly the Phantom. With QF-16s now taking over the drone role, there are many more Viper pilots kicking around than there are Phantom pilots, so it makes little sense to keep the remaining F-4s flying for much longer, hence why the guys at Holloman (where the remaining Phantoms are stationed) have been told to get rid of them, one way or another, by the end of this year. :sad:

However, well aware of the strong feelings associated with this most charismatic type, the USAF is determined to send the Phantoms off with a bang. Now, details are still a bit sketchy, however a scour of the web has revealed the following:

http://airshowstuff.com/v4/2016/just-si ... -december/

..with this being the critical bit:

...we are happy to report that they will go out with a public celebration of their service. As announced by F-4 pilot Ron ‘Elvis’ King at EAA AirVenture, there are plans to fly the last remaining F-4s in Holloman Air Force Base on December 20th this year. He estimates that four Phantoms will take part in the event. There will be multiple flybys and some supersonic flying, as well as a Phinal Phantom formation of four F-4s.

So there you have it. If anyone manages to get to New Mexico for mid-December [...] then do please send back lots of pictures. Meanwhile, and from a purely selfish point of view, I remain incredibly grateful that I made it to Oshkosh in the summer and got treated to one last glimpse of these beasts tearing up an airfield.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Dr Cake

Re: Phantom Pharewell - Holloman AFB, Dec 20th

Post by Dr Cake »

Skyflash wrote:Having heard straight from the horse's (rhino's?) mouth about this at Oshkosh, courtesy of a friendly QF-4 driver, I was aware that the USAF was planning some sort of event to mark the official end of the QF-4 programme, which is destined to finish by the end of the year. As I mentioned in my Oshkosh photo thread, the reason for the programme finishing is primarily because the USAF is running out of pilots to fly the F-4... one of the chaps now flying QF-4s has the distinction of being the last American pilot ever to learn to fly the Phantom. With QF-16s now taking over the drone role, there are many more Viper pilots kicking around than there are Phantom pilots, so it makes little sense to keep the remaining F-4s flying for much longer, hence why the guys at Holloman (where the remaining Phantoms are stationed) have been told to get rid of them, one way or another, by the end of this year. :sad:

However, well aware of the strong feelings associated with this most charismatic type, the USAF is determined to send the Phantoms off with a bang. Now, details are still a bit sketchy, however a scour of the web has revealed the following:

...we are happy to report that they will go out with a public celebration of their service. As announced by F-4 pilot Ron ‘Elvis’ King at EAA AirVenture, there are plans to fly the last remaining F-4s in Holloman Air Force Base on December 20th this year. He estimates that four Phantoms will take part in the event. There will be multiple flybys and some supersonic flying, as well as a Phinal Phantom formation of four F-4s.

So there you have it. If anyone manages to get to New Mexico for mid-December [...] then do please send back lots of pictures. Meanwhile, and from a purely selfish point of view, I remain incredibly grateful that I made it to Oshkosh in the summer and got treated to one last glimpse of these beasts tearing up an airfield.

Heard a rumour of a new oil field in southern New Mexico which is looking for some short term consultancy in mid to late December. Let your boss know!

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Re: Phantom Pharewell - Holloman AFB, Dec 20th

Post by Skyflash »

Dr Cake wrote:
Skyflash wrote:Having heard straight from the horse's (rhino's?) mouth about this at Oshkosh, courtesy of a friendly QF-4 driver, I was aware that the USAF was planning some sort of event to mark the official end of the QF-4 programme, which is destined to finish by the end of the year. As I mentioned in my Oshkosh photo thread, the reason for the programme finishing is primarily because the USAF is running out of pilots to fly the F-4... one of the chaps now flying QF-4s has the distinction of being the last American pilot ever to learn to fly the Phantom. With QF-16s now taking over the drone role, there are many more Viper pilots kicking around than there are Phantom pilots, so it makes little sense to keep the remaining F-4s flying for much longer, hence why the guys at Holloman (where the remaining Phantoms are stationed) have been told to get rid of them, one way or another, by the end of this year. :sad:

Heard a rumour of a new oil field in southern New Mexico which is looking for some short term consultancy in mid to late December. Let your boss know!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

If only, if only..
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...