Australian International Airshow (Avalon) 2017

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
AARDVARK

Re: Australian International Airshow (Avalon) 2017

Post by AARDVARK »

Total credit to the Avalon guys and girls Darkstar ...it's an excellent show and I look forward to it every couple of years ,I used to live just outside Melbourne so attended from 99 to 05 and then always try to coincide a trip back with the show,hoping for blue skies but this is Melbourne we are talking about hear ..haha :)

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

Thanks aardvark,yeah either hot and dusty,or raining and cold.Hope to see u there.

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

Flying program is out now.Check website.

Norman

Post by Norman »

Hi All

I have attended all Avalon shows since inception, it is what it is, look at a globe of the world and locate Avalon, its a long way from anywhere and a huge logistic challenge,

I have attended most U.K events and a few shows on the continent and in the USA , in my humble opinion it is unfair for a host of reasons to compare Avalon to these , however for an Aviation starved public downunder it is the largest event locally available and as such is widely supported,

If you do not have a press pass i would suggest attending the trade days leading up to the public days as you will get better views of static and some limited flying, if you are only attending the public days get there very early and grab your spot on the fence, if you have the money buy a gold pass as it will give you reserved elevated seating and the ability to wander around the statics and go back to your seat whenever you want to, problem is the grandstand is behind the public viewing paddock so make sure you have an adequate lens if going for photograph's, it is nicely elevated and gives an excellant view of the show, you also have better access for food and drinks

The weather is a major factor and being where it is near the sea and in front of a range of hills it can change dramatically several times during a day, plus the biggest factor affecting photography is that after mid day the sun moves and makes flying shots backlit, yes press can be rostered to be taken to the 'hill' on the other side of the runway however that is for media only, this backlighting and variable weather can makes things a challenge at times, yes British weather can be similar, but Melbourne area weather according to locals at this time of year can range from 40 degrees and gale force winds to dark days with low cloud and constant drizzle ......plus you can get this in the space of an hour ! but there is little we can do about the weather except come prepared, i would suggest bringing plenty of bottled water too, there will also be a WW1 ground re enactment group set up that is well worth a look, as will be the Australian Army current service vehicle display , my pic on the flying display would be the Australian Defence force segment which showcases the interoperability of units and aircraft vehicles etc in a mock attack, great stuff

I am keeping an open mind and looking forward to seeing some new gear and also hoping for blue skies ......

Cheers

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

Hi Norman,fully agree.I myself have been to all of them and was a volunteer.To bring Aussie 35s down is a pretty big feat.Having the RAAF Growler down will be special.Again thanks to ASDU for all their extremely hard work.Now just hoping the weather is kind :tongue:

Norman

Post by Norman »

Yes..... the weather............................

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

Sorry about the tea mug today mate :lol:

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

Sorry about the tea mug today mate :lol:

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

4 seasons in 1 day :)

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

So do we definitely know that the ACC F22 Demo Pilot is coming to Avalon ,obviously we have plenty of Raptors to play with ,just need an authorised demo pilot :)

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

AARDVARK,100% a goer mate.Raptor is flying.RAAF Rhino demo is supposed to be pretty darn speccy as well :clap:

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

The ACC Raptor was a 100% goer in 2015, until USAF pulled the plug on it at the last minute. I hope you do get the demo as this years show line up is, I think excellent, I hope you both have a great show. I'm just sorry I won't be there to see all the Singaporean Air Force equipment.

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

Red Dragon,yes mate I know about 2015.Organisers were told it was,but the heritage course was in conflict with Avalon.Heritage course and practice has been done,and ACC Aerial Events will announce Avalon dates this week or next week.If you go to the Avalon website and check the flying displays,its all on there.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

I got an e-mail today from a friend who heard a rumour that you are also going to see 2 of the new PC-21's at Avalon as well, they landed at Darwin on the 18th, if my information is correct, they should be airframes A54-001 and A54-002.

I'm now really wishing I'd made the journey :-(

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

Ah great,yeah I saw that this morning on spotters.Hopefully they make it down.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Darkstar wrote:AARDVARK,100% a goer mate.Raptor is flying.RAAF Rhino demo is supposed to be pretty darn speccy as well :clap:

Looking forward to it,and Aussie Rhino's are always great with 4 ship :)

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

AARDVARK,4ship will be classics,single ship Rhino demo.There hasn't been a single ship Rhino demo since 2011.I think the Rhino sounds better than the Raptor.There is still time Red Dragon to come down :biggrin:

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Darkstar wrote:There is still time Red Dragon to come down :biggrin:

I can't I'm afraid, due to work :sad: However if you could pass on the list of serials for all the military, that would be great, along with any callsigns would make up for not being able to make it there. However I am hoping to make it for Avalon 2019 :smile:

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Darkstar wrote:AARDVARK,4ship will be classics,single ship Rhino demo.There hasn't been a single ship Rhino demo since 2011.I think the Rhino sounds better than the Raptor.There is still time Red Dragon to come down :biggrin:

Are interesting as usually thr other way round ,classic solo and 4 ship Rhinos .

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

AARDVARK,yes most of the times it has been 4 ship classics and single classic demo.The last 1-2 shows has been Rhino 4 ship and ground attack role demo.I will send u the serials Red Dragon during the show.Just a thought guys,we are only about 60-70 meters away from the runway.Having a look at other shows it's a lot further away.The beauty of it is u can nearly feel the heat from the burners.Ear bleeding time :yahoo:

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Darkstar ,do you happen yo know when F35's arrive ,heard it will be 3rd March?

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

AARDVARK,no mate all I know is they arrive on the 3rd myself.Lets not hop its 4 in the morning.

Norman

Post by Norman »

Been told that a Volger Dnepr Antonov 124 rego RA-82046 is slated to depart Honolulu soon and is most likely bringing in some choppers ( Apache maybe) arrival tomorrow evening

Cheers !

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

Norman,haven't heard that one.I know the Apache is flying.Interesting.Keep is posted.