Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Tbolt

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Post by Tbolt »

Jetnoise wrote:Seafire arrival - sorry about the quality - first was grabbed and all were partially back-lit at that time of day...

Skillful recovery from the sudden gust that caught it - hopefully the damage is not too severe.

Cheers,
Ralph

Great shots. I saw the incident but didn't get the photos as there were people in front of me. Hopefully there's no damage after a detailed inspection.

The other point is, the road that runs from the field the Gladitor landed in, is it wide enough for it to get down or will there have to be some disassembly?

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Ryan. wrote:Gladiator had some issues and has found itself making a precautionary landing in a field. Luckily been confirmed no damage to pilot or aeroplane. :clap:

Did it? I saw the airtest in the morning and the a/c landed on the new runway (meadow) at the top of the airfield; it landed at the same place at the end of its displayand this was commented on by one of the announcers. I was viewing from just behind the Argus and there appeared to be no problems at all.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

i beleive the gladiator landed in a field after the balbo at the end, not the display with the t6.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Flying today was great. So much better than the Navy show last year IMO, but the weather ruined it this time.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Jumbo wrote:i beleive the gladiator landed in a field after the balbo at the end, not the display with the t6.

Thanks for that; I left as the Bearcat was displaying.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Flying today was great. So much better than the Navy show last year IMO, but the weather ruined it this time.

i wasn't there last year, but i have to say it was a great show even if the weather was a bit unpleasant. In particular the Fury display was fantastic and the sea hurricane was also excellent. unfortunately the wasp started its engine just as the fury arrived so all i could hear was the wasp and not the centaurus in the fury :sad:

this was my first shuttleworth show and the closer display line and the variation in the flying was really impressive.

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

iainpeden wrote:
Jumbo wrote:i beleive the gladiator landed in a field after the balbo at the end, not the display with the t6.

Thanks for that; I left as the Bearcat was displaying.

Yes as the Gladiator flew down the runway with the others his engine was starting to cut out, they all turned east and the he split off and landed in a field.

I didn't know there was a new runway to start with so when he was practicing in the morning, he was on finals I thought he had a problem, then when he touched down I realized they had added a new runway!
Last edited by Tbolt on Sun 04 Jun 2017, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Jumbo wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Flying today was great. So much better than the Navy show last year IMO, but the weather ruined it this time.

i wasn't there last year, but i have to say it was a great show even if the weather was a bit unpleasant. In particular the Fury display was fantastic and the sea hurricane was also excellent. unfortunately the wasp started its engine just as the fury arrived so all i could hear was the wasp and not the centaurus in the fury :sad:

this was my first shuttleworth show and the closer display line and the variation in the flying was really impressive.

I thought it was a great show also. The Sea Fury was display was fast and low though with rubbish light. I also though the Wildcat and Bearcat were good displays and the Catalina was also very nice and close with a lovely departing low pass. The light was rubbish for some of it, but some of the dark clouds provided a good back drop for some pictures.

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

Great show, loved the Sea Hurricane, Fury and Catalina displays - that last pass from the Cat...

Am I the only one that didn't really rate the BearCat display - seemed quite high (same with the Harvard), and just didn't really do it for me.

Fingers crossed the Gladiator is OK, and they can retrieve it easily - must say it was heart in mouth time when it went down, everyone seemed to go very quiet for a few until the announcement the pilot (and plane) were down and he had radio'd in...

Dan

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Is this the same Gladiator operated by the Shuttleworth Collection that was touch-and-go as to whether it would fly this weekend, or TFC's?..
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Pringles wrote:Is this the same Gladiator operated by the Shuttleworth Collection that was touch-and-go as to whether it would fly this weekend, or TFC's?..

Shuttleworth's, the Fighter Collection's example is in France.

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Talldan76 wrote:Great show, loved the Sea Hurricane, Fury and Catalina displays - that last pass from the Cat...

Am I the only one that didn't really rate the BearCat display - seemed quite high (same with the Harvard), and just didn't really do it for me.

Fingers crossed the Gladiator is OK, and they can retrieve it easily - must say it was heart in mouth time when it went down, everyone seemed to go very quiet for a few until the announcement the pilot (and plane) were down and he had radio'd in...

Dan

I wasn't enjoying the Bearcat display when it was high, but then he made up for it with some lovely passes, but overall the Wildcat display was better out of the two.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Ryan. wrote:
Pringles wrote:Is this the same Gladiator operated by the Shuttleworth Collection that was touch-and-go as to whether it would fly this weekend, or TFC's?..

Thanks Ryan, I hope this incident had nothing to do with any rush to get the aircraft re-added to the flying list in the spate of so many cancellations - I have great respect for the Shuttleworth engineers so dearly hope this is just an unfortunate coincidence...
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Quite an enjoyable show, but obviously nowhere near as good as 2016 - understandably so, with the cancelled items which they could do nothing about this year.

Sea Hurricane, Fury, Hawker Nimrod/Demon and Huey all excellent, in my opinion - spirited passes by the BBMF too! Bearcat (definitely preferred the Wildcat routine) and Harvard seemed further away than the majority.

Tommy following me on the motorway, and indeed passing me on his way back home was the biggest surprise. :ghost: :grin:

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Talldan76 wrote:Great show, loved the Sea Hurricane, Fury and Catalina displays - that last pass from the Cat...

Dan

+1 on all points, especially the Catalina's last pass! I got some great shots of it against the grey sky so no all bad. Bearcat was high and distant, I heard atc call to the Texan too about display lines, not 100% sure but I know some stuff was on the 230m line.

The Gladiator landed on the meadow this morning to mark the first landing and it was dedicated to someone, can't remember who now. It started to pop and splutter on its first balbo pass and I was quite alarmed to start with, thankfully the pilot called the tower after it landed although it took some time for the commentary team to relay to the crowd Al was OK.

All in all a great day, I might get to see the sea vixen one day.....
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

It was a good show, if not a little disappointing with all the withdrawals. Sea Hurricane, Fury Avro Anson and the last pass of the Catalina were the highlights for me too.
When the Gladiators engine started spluttering in its second "Balbo" pass it circled back, losing height quickly and appeared to be lining up the new Meadow strip for the third time during the day, when it went below the tree line on the other side it was an anxious moment until the report of the safe landing came through.
Last edited by TKK 140 on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Dan

Thought the same, enjoyed the Nimrods also.
Good show, weather and circumstances did their best to spoil the day but some real highlights.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Jetnoise wrote:Seafire arrival - sorry about the quality - first was grabbed and all were partially back-lit at that time of day...

ImageSeafire 1 by Ralph Lunt Photography, on Flickr

ImageSeafire 2 by Ralph Lunt Photography, on Flickr

ImageSeafire 3 by Ralph Lunt Photography, on Flickr

ImageSeafire 4 by Ralph Lunt Photography, on Flickr

Skillful recovery from the sudden gust that caught it - hopefully the damage is not too severe.

Cheers,
Ralph

They look fine to me and worth repeating.

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Flare Path wrote:Sea Hurricane, Fury, Hawker Nimrod/Demon and Huey all excellent, in my opinion - spirited passes by the BBMF too! Bearcat (definitely preferred the Wildcat routine) and Harvard seemed further away than the majority.

agreed, the huey was excellent, i love the chopping noises the rotors make in hard turns and its display was more dynamic than the wasp's. Its a shame the BBMF had to move on so quickly as the topside passes were excellent and surprisingly close. the bearcat seemed to get less distant towards the end of its display. the sea hurricane's first pass was amazing, very fast and low. the wasp also seemed very distant, escpecially for such a small helicopter.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Ryan. wrote:

Stuck in a hangar at La Ferté Alais with engine problems itself.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Pringles wrote:
Ryan. wrote:

Thanks Ryan, I hope this incident had nothing to do with any rush to get the aircraft re-added to the flying list in the spate of so many cancellations - I have great respect for the Shuttleworth engineers so dearly hope this is just an unfortunate coincidence...

I think so. It flew both in the morning for an air test and during the display without incident. Took off fine for the Balbo and was watching it position itself behind Shuttleworth and again all seemed fine, only seemed to sputter when it started its first pass with the Demon and Lysander.

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Jumbo wrote:
Flare Path wrote:Sea Hurricane, Fury, Hawker Nimrod/Demon and Huey all excellent, in my opinion - spirited passes by the BBMF too! Bearcat (definitely preferred the Wildcat routine) and Harvard seemed further away than the majority.

agreed, the huey was excellent, i love the chopping noises the rotors make in hard turns and its display was more dynamic than the wasp's. Its a shame the BBMF had to move on so quickly as the topside passes were excellent and surprisingly close. the bearcat seemed to get less distant towards the end of its display. the sea hurricane's first pass was amazing, very fast and low. the wasp also seemed very distant, escpecially for such a small helicopter.

Yes I was surprised how good the BBMF passes were as usually their fighter displays are a bit distant at Old Warden. Shame the light didn't play ball for them.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Great show all in all despite the cancellations. :clap:

The Nimrod pair were fantastic, far closer than last year, the Fury did an amazing display as did the Catalina. The Fighter Collection's Bearcat was a little distant but it's last few passes made up for it and the Wildcat put on a good show aswell, both like the Nimrods' were far closer for this show, the Huey was a great addition and never seen it fly with a Wasp before.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Tbolt wrote:
Jumbo wrote:

Yes I was surprised how good the BBMF passes were as usually their fighter displays are a bit distant at Old Warden. Shame the light didn't play ball for them.

Really? I've always found their displays at Shuttleworth to be very close and just consist of topside passes. I've always thought they display better there with a few passes than they do with a full display anywhere else.

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Ryan. wrote:
Tbolt wrote:
Jumbo wrote:

Really? I've always found their displays at Shuttleworth to be very close and just consist of topside passes. I've always thought they display better there with a few passes than they do with a full display anywhere else.

Yes, compared to the Shuttleworth aircraft I've always found any topside passes they do to be further away, a bit like when Peter Teichman displays there.