Evening Airshows

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Ian G
UKAR Staff

Re: Evening Airshows

Post by Ian G »

One of the best shows, what an atmosphere! I couldn't believe how busy it was too, just a shame that there some whopping great clouds at the start of the evening which scuppered any nice light on the Comet and Mew Gull, but as for everything else, well....just a superb evening. It was also great to get up close to the aircraft in the afternoon although there were some very rude photographers about! I just hope the weather is as good for the next evening show!
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

Cracking evening's entertainment for the whole family - a Fathers' Day treat brought forward by a day.

Shame about the early clouds (bah, clear blue skies when we left the Midlands) but otherwise a fantastic evening.

The commentary could have been perhaps a bit more informative about what was still to come after the visiting aircraft departed (eg confirming that the Harvard was still to fly) but we'd still probably have taken our leave at that point anyway to avoid too late a return home.

Commentary volume was just fine where we were, a couple of rows back from the front admittedly. Expect they'd toned the volume down after this year's Fly Navy, where at times it was literally painful to listen to at the same point on the crowdline.
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Out of interest who was the commentator? We couldn't put a name to the voice but thought he was excellent and unobtrusive, letting the displays breathe while giving enough salient information to enhance and not overwhelm like Cosford's Wikipedia-sponsored horrors the week before. :clap:

Giant Voice

Post by Giant Voice »

Dan, the commentator was the excellent Mark Whall, a fun and gentle character who like you has a background in professional broadcasting as well as being a proffessional pilot on a variety of large and long range business jets. We were supposed to be working together yesterday as the new policy is to have two commentators at each show, but a personal difficulty left me unable to attend at the last moment, and it appears I missed a delight of a show. Just my luck! I have had the great pleasure of working with Mark on a number of occasions and can tell you he is as knowledgeable as anyone I know and utterly respectful of Shuttleworth and it's audience.
38 years of support and banter, now worth every moment. Go Hawks!

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Giant Voice wrote:Dan, the commentator was the excellent Mark Whall, a fun and gentle character who like you has a background in professional broadcasting as well as being a proffessional pilot on a variety of large and long range business jets. We were supposed to be working together yesterday as the new policy is to have two commentators at each show, but a personal difficulty left me unable to attend at the last moment, and it appears I missed a delight of a show. Just my luck! I have had the great pleasure of working with Mark on a number of occasions and can tell you he is as knowledgeable as anyone I know and utterly respectful of Shuttleworth and it's audience.

He was very good Tim. Like yours, his style is perfect for Shuttleworth. A job well done!

Mike

Post by Mike »

UKTopgun wrote:The only negative from a great show was commentary...really quiet where I was, could barely hear it.

You call that a negative? After being blasted out by commentary so loud it hurt the eardrums at the Fly Navy show two weeks ago, I'd call that a massive positive!

rob68

Post by rob68 »

I'm told the PA volume has a notoriously bad reputation and is difficult to set. I thought it was great as could hardly hear it after FN. Didnt leave till 10 past 10. Hope the guy who had a 4 hour journey to near Swansea got home ok

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

Ian G wrote:One of the best shows, what an atmosphere! I couldn't believe how busy it was too, just a shame that there some whopping great clouds at the start of the evening which scuppered any nice light on the Comet and Mew Gull, but as for everything else, well....just a superb evening. It was also great to get up close to the aircraft in the afternoon although there were some very rude photographers about! I just hope the weather is as good for the next evening show!

The clouds during the Comet display were really unfortunate - there were two passes where it found the sun, but probably only if you were at the Restaurant-end of the site.....:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/steam60163/35208437632

Cheers
Alisdair

Tim Spouge

Post by Tim Spouge »

A very enjoyable airshow with perfect weather and atmosphere. The attendance was a lot higher than I expected, it was good to see so much support. The commentary volume was perfect, nice and clear without dominating the display. A couple of the Avro Tutor topside passes were some of the best I have seen at an airshow.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Annoyingly it looks like my spare SD card failed after my CF filled up thus my shots after the Harvard take off have all gone. I've spent all morning trying to recover but alas it looks like they're corrupted beyond recovery. I could cry, the light was just amazing as you can see from others' images. I really hope that there will be another combination of great aircraft and glorious weather next year! I am still in awe and I echo other's comments, it could possibly be the best show of the year. The only criticism I have is that I wish there were some more passes by the Sea Hurricane on its own. Other than that, everything was just right - despite the unique types of aircraft that display there, I think it's easily the best venue for a show.

Just going to lie down and have a little cry now Image

#tapestries

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Worth noting the Snipe and BE2e are scheduled to appear at the July evening airshow (the Saturday of RIAT). Fingers crossed!

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Ian G wrote:Annoyingly it looks like my spare SD card failed after my CF filled up thus my shots after the Harvard take off have all gone. I've spent all morning trying to recover but alas it looks like they're corrupted beyond recovery. I could cry, the light was just amazing as you can see from others' images. I really hope that there will be another combination of great aircraft and glorious weather next year! I am still in awe and I echo other's comments, it could possibly be the best show of the year. The only criticism I have is that I wish there were some more passes by the Sea Hurricane on its own. Other than that, everything was just right - despite the unique types of aircraft that display there, I think it's easily the best venue for a show.

The Sea Hurricane is an odd one. If I have one gripe about Old Warden it's that their Sea Hurricane spends more time formating and holding away from the crowd than it does displaying. As I recall they have engine heating issues with the aircraft which means it doesn't spend long in the air generally. I think we all wish that more of that time was spent in front of the crowd! For me, it's the best-painted Hurricane currently flying.

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Ian G wrote:Annoyingly it looks like my spare SD card failed after my CF filled up thus my shots after the Harvard take off have all gone. I've spent all morning trying to recover but alas it looks like they're corrupted beyond recovery. I could cry, the light was just amazing as you can see from others' images. I really hope that there will be another combination of great aircraft and glorious weather next year! I am still in awe and I echo other's comments, it could possibly be the best show of the year. The only criticism I have is that I wish there were some more passes by the Sea Hurricane on its own. Other than that, everything was just right - despite the unique types of aircraft that display there, I think it's easily the best venue for a show.

The Sea Hurricane is an odd one. If I have one gripe about Old Warden it's that their Sea Hurricane spends more time formating and holding away from the crowd than it does displaying. As I recall they have engine heating issues with the aircraft which means it doesn't spend long in the air generally. I think we all wish that more of that time was spent in front of the crowd! For me, it's the best-painted Hurricane currently flying.

The only engine heating/cooling issue the Sea Hurricane has is it needs a short float around at low power settings after it's displayed so the coolant temperature can come down so it doesn't get too warm on the ground during taxi and resting. It's purely to try and keep from cooking the engine and preserving it's long term viability. Don't forget in the last few years it's transitted to Yeovilton and Goodwood so airborne time isn't a problem. Usually the types the Sea Hurricane formate with haven't flown together so carry out a briefing before takeoff and then practice away from the display to ensure everyone has their eye in for the display runs. I'll pass the comments on as I never get enough of seeing it coming around the bend. :smile:
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Not too sure about that to be honest, the SHurricane flew solo at every Old Warden airshow I went to in 2016 and has done so at the four 2017 events! If anything it feels like one of the based aeroplanes I've seen the most over the last few years (putting aside the period it spent on the shelf of course). Made sense to give P3717 the red carpet treatment on Saturday, making it the clear star of the show.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Elliott Marsh wrote:Made sense to give P3717 the red carpet treatment on Saturday, making it the clear star of the show.

That is true and I agree, what a debut as well; but as Dan alluded to in his post, the colours on the Sea Hurricane would have been sublime in that evening light. Just one pass....

#tapestries

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

"Camm, Soar & Conquered" - Guest writer Dan O'Hagan reports for UK Airshow Review.

Image Image Image Image Image

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Spot on.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Well said, great article!

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Just going through some of my photos and I completely forgot that I took one of a DH Dove in the distance during the Tomtit's display - anyone else notice this?!

#tapestries

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Ian G wrote:Just going through some of my photos and I completely forgot that I took one of a DH Dove in the distance during the Tomtit's display - anyone else notice this?!

Yeah, I got one too.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

An accurate account of a lovely Summer evening, speaking as one of the throng who stayed right until the end in the impending gloom! One small point, wasn't it really only Dan who is/was the principal BBMF 'maligner' ?!

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

UKTopgun wrote:An accurate account of a lovely Summer evening, speaking as one of the throng who stayed right until the end in the impending gloom! One small point, wasn't it really only Dan who is/was the principal BBMF 'maligner' ?!

You hear grumbles on the fence and on the forums, but I speak up about the BBMF being absolutely awful at displaying some of the finest warbirds on the planet. But, this season it appears that they might have finally realised that flying them is not enough, it is HOW they fly them that paints the most poignant tribute.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

UKTopgun wrote:An accurate account of a lovely Summer evening, speaking as one of the throng who stayed right until the end in the impending gloom!

BBMF flew a blinder at the September 2015 "Duxford" airshow and at Goodwood for the 75th BOB celebrations.
It's down to the Commander how they display and in 2014 it was big skies away from crowd so the grumbles back then were with foundation. However still love seeing them.

OW is a great venue and as I had another engagement and could not attend I would'nt comment other to say I am glad that it was a great show for those who went.

Andover

Post by Andover »

Did the Anson not fly at this show?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Andover wrote:Did the Anson not fly at this show?

It did not.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"