Farnborough International Airshow 2018

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
Dan O'Hagan

Re: Farnborough International Airshow 2018

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

UKTopgun wrote:Huge gaps, repeat acts, an autogyro, a poor commentary (Great Warbird Display Team anyone?).
This show, on public days, is a desperate sham of an event. Highlight of the day was the pyros that went with the Blades display setting the grass on fire in several places. The pyros were far more memorable than The Blades themselves by the way. Whole day seemed to be about Red Bull, ironic as I was constantly struggling to stay awake. Nuff said.

Please say you didn't pay for your ticket? What are they asking this year - £50?

Farnborough should really just be a trade show now, the public days are nothing but an extortionate embarrassment with ever diminishing returns.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Got one for 30, would never have paid the 48!

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

I read the previous messages with interest - I first went to one of the public days in 1996 I think, remaining loyal until 2004 (I was busy in 2006 and opted out of 2008). I went one further time in 2010 and that was that, it just wasn't worth the time and expense. A long journey (Coventry to Hampshire and return) followed by queues - the ticket wasn't cheap of course - crammed into a hot bus, a bit more queuing, security checks and a jam-packed static line. My memory of the flying is fading already; but 2010 would have seen the Vulcan flying, as well as the Airbus A380, I seem to recall a B-1B flypast later in the afternoon too. Sounded quite appealing really, but after that, I made a slow walk back to the car. Thereafter its just been little snippets of some of the displays on YouTube and the like.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

If you have a brand that the pubic are willing to buy into and invest in (irrespective of the actual content) then one option is to milk to public for everything they have. The brand is built on a legacy of truely wonderful flying and superb piliots over several decades (I have the VHS tapes in the loft). But the glory days are over and so are the average days so we are left with scraps but sold at a premium price and people still pay. Go figure!

I don't blame them for doing what they do. It makes business sense.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The F-16 display had to be stopped/cut short today due to spectators within the display box/exclusion zone. The display has been rearranged until alter in the day.

Regardless of whether it is FIA or not, this should serve as a reminder to freeloaders in the UK that under the new regulations their presence is having a negative effect on airshows.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Could not pay me enough to go this show. Absolutley disgusting how paying customers are treated. Easily the worst airshow there is.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

One thing was superb, but only really one, the Red Bull BO 105, astonishing!

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

boff180 wrote:The F-16 display had to be stopped/cut short today due to spectators within the display box/exclusion zone. The display has been rearranged until alter in the day.

Regardless of whether it is FIA or not, this should serve as a reminder to freeloaders in the UK that under the new regulations their presence is having a negative effect on airshows.

They do it twice anyway, such are the paucity of the acts!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

parsley wrote:Did the Flying Bulls Alpha fly on the public days ?...It was attended by fire engines on Monday when it landed after it's display...not sure if he had a fuel leak but there was a small amount of flames exiting via the tailpipe on one engine as it taxied by.

Yes it did, both Saturday and Sunday.

John

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

Airshowhammer wrote:Could not pay me enough to go this show. Absolutley disgusting how paying customers are treated. Easily the worst airshow there is.

What utter rubbish.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Such a shame to read these posts but you have to admit it's not only Farnboring that's like this as I think all British Airshows are now ruined ( for want of a better word) beyond all recognition with knee jerk H&S 'excuses' being the main culprit. Costs and aircraft types are obviously other factors I'm sure. I'm in a somewhat fortunate position to be able to obtain free Farnbro' tickets should I want them and I still couldn't be tempted....I honestly can't be doing with all the queuing, parking off site and buses either which is one of the reasons I gave Blackbushe a miss last year too despite the line up. I tolerate RIAT up to a point simply because of the aircraft types I expect to see.
Long gone are the 'good 'ole days' we all loved in the 80's and 90's and no one can ever take away the glorious memories we have and I shall still go to as many airshows as I can while I still can but I have to admit as strange as it may seem I stopped going for the flying a long time a go...
Providing we can still have shows like Shuttleworth and most of the Duxfords and some of the smaller intimate events like Headcorn, Bicester and Little Gransden there still might be some hope left providing they don't succumb too which I'm sure they'll all have to do eventually. :sad:
...Rad shutters auto.

effects

Post by effects »

parsley wrote:Did the Flying Bulls Alpha fly on the public days ?...It was attended by fire engines on Monday when it landed after it's display...not sure if he had a fuel leak but there was a small amount of flames exiting via the tailpipe on one engine as it taxied by.

Displayed sat and sun, had an issue with one of the smoke generators.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

effects

Post by effects »

Airshowhammer wrote:Could not pay me enough to go this show. Absolutley disgusting how paying customers are treated. Easily the worst airshow there is.

At least no one ruined this one for you!

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

play it cool wrote:

What utter rubbish.

Name me a worse airshow then?

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Sitting and reading the Facebook posts about the show I genuinely feel gutted for those who went

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Farnborough must be applauded for opening 2 halls for the public weekend, I thoroughly enjoyed browsing deserted stands with anything of slight interest long since gone....

effects

Post by effects »

UKTopgun wrote:Farnborough must be applauded for opening 2 halls for the public weekend, I thoroughly enjoyed browsing deserted stands with anything of slight interest long since gone....

Go on a trade day.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

A. Some of us have day jobs
B. Not really the point, when the halls are advertised as some being open, surely the exhibitors should be there at least?

effects

Post by effects »

UKTopgun wrote:A. Some of us have day jobs
B. Not really the point, when the halls are advertised as some being open, surely the exhibitors should be there at least?

A. Never heard of leave?
B. Take a day of 'A' and there is no need to worry about 'B'.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

If you are a big Farnborough fan, you might feel in the minority on this site! If you think Farnborough run the weekend show well, then I am bemused!

Webby74

Post by Webby74 »

boff180 wrote:The F-16 display had to be stopped/cut short today due to spectators within the display box/exclusion zone. The display has been rearranged until alter in the day.

Nothing to do with spectators, the first F-16 display needed 7000 feet clearance so air traffic control delayed the display until the airspace was clear to this level

ben888

Post by ben888 »

As said before, the weekend just felt empty with a compete lack of flying and what was up there was mostly pretty dissapointing.

I missed 2016, however did 2010/12/14 and honestly what we saw Saturday was nothing like what it used to be - pretty annoyed and will 100% never go again.

Feel sorry for the girlfriend, she surprised me with the tickets and did £138 on 2x runway package .. her first airshow.... not sure she understands why people bother now.

The only good demos were the F16 (as always), Harrier and the Red Bull heli at the end. A350, after seeing a 380 doing the same routine a 350 doesn't impress... and they had a gyrocopter do a 'display', nothing against a gyrocopter and they are good fun but they are not Farnborough airshow worthy.

2016 must have been better then this as there were people who went present at this year's weekend. I suspect anyone who went this this weekend will not go again.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Suggests "effects" doesn't go onto the official Facebook page. UKAR's criticism is positively tame in comparison:

This is just a sample. I don't recall such negative feedback on an airshow since the Terry Jervis disgrace for the RAF at Abingdon in 2007.

Davin Wakeford:I have wanted to see this air show for years so was very very disappointed when we visited yesterday. Most of the halls were shut with no one in them and not much to see on the ground either. The air display was minimal to say the least. Save your money on a very expensive ticket and don't bother going, I know I will another year....

Paul Prictoe: Oh for the great Farnborough Airshows of the past. Surely the organisers could have found a few more fast jets to liven things up. I actually got bored this afternoon

Jon Agar: its a Dead Duck, locals hate it, Traders Hate it. make it every 4 years .... Killed there show space by building flats....nice one Tag Group, just like every other thing you touch, it turns to non event , Close it or move it. its embarasiing now.

Thomas Ashley: Shoreham is a disingenuous excuse for a not-even-half-arsed Red Arrows display. If it is unsafe for the Red Arrows how come it's not unsafe for the other display teams and fast jets whose routines are not directly over the runway? And with a single pass from the Battle of Britain Memorial, in the 100th anniversary of the RAF they flew for barely 5 minutes in total. Pathetic.

Annette Wright: Well, I blinked and missed the Red Arrows!

Abdul Rohim: How can i get a refund please?

David Downie: Farnborough this year was the weakest airshow I have ever been to. Disgusted to say the least. Went On Friday and the flying line up was dismal. The statics were few and far between, pathetic, saving grace was complimentary VIP Hospitality from JEEP, thank you JEEP you saved the day.
Farnborough you let the public down.

Jamie Greenslade Stick to Fairford Riat won't be going to this pile of crap again unorganized chaos parking over 20 minutes walk 3 burnt burgers £33.00 £7.50 3 bottles of warm water flying display was a joke yet again left to the Americans to entertain us with the F16 I think this airshow location should be shut down period will be requesting a full refund that's for sure !!

Lisa Greenway: I have attended the airshow most years since I was a child. 2018 will be my last year. What an absolute atrocious event. I have never been so disappointed. This year I encouraged many other family members to come with us and needless to say I was super embarrassed. The show was an absolute joke. I will definitely not be coming again. Seriously agree with others in the thread, if not a refund, an official apology at least should be given.

Suggest you have a read before the owners sanitise the page...

A fifty pound airshow, folks.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I haven't been to Farnborough since 2012 which, by comparison, seems to have been a superb airshow. Nevertheless - it was that airshow that made me decide to stop attending. It became clear that the organisers have nothing but contempt for the public show and while the airshow used to be an opportunity for manufacturers to showcase their latest engineering feats to an interested public - it seems that this element has now utterly disappeared.

It is particularly sad as Farnborough airshow is involved in some of my happiest and most exciting airshow memories. I almost regretted not getting a ticket in the run up this year's show... thank goodness I didn't!
Last edited by MiG_Eater on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

I'm going to give another perspective. The week leading up to FIA my son kept mentioning it and, as I'm not working this weekend I thought I'd take him as there were a few displays I wanted to see.
I hadn't been to FIA for a very long time, and was pleased to get there with no queues and get parked with no fuss. After 5 days of wall to wall modern military action at RIAT, it was quite nice to watch a more esoteric line-up. The USP for me was the appearance of the Harrier, and my heart sank when it was announced it had gone tech and would almost certainly not perform, but they later pulled the spare off static and got that up, so hats off on that one. Great to see one perform again, a real season highlight for me.
I know FIA isn't what it used to be. My dad used to go throughout the 1950's and 1960's and he first took me in 1972. It's changed a great deal, yesterday was very much about being a family day out rather than a show for the enthusiast, which it used to be.
Is it worth £42? Not compared to RIAT and most others, but it's not too extortionate for a day out. That said, I got cheap tickets on eBay. It's an airshow I can get to in a day without the need for accommodation so it works out cheaper than a trip to the likes of Duxford etc for me anyway.
Ultimately though, and this is the bottom line, did I enjoy it? Yes, definitely. Ultimately I'm sat there watching some great aircraft. I wouldn't make it my first choice of the season by any means, but I knew what I was getting when I bought the tickets therefore, for me, there was no disappointment.