Daks Over Normandy - June 2019

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
cg_341

Re: Daks Over Normandy - June 2019

Post by cg_341 »

Seems it requires at least one, and that it's still being investigated (thus no update)

http://dakotanorway.no/2019/06/11/ingen ... g-12-juni/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2431160 ... 097765172/

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

looks like Miss Montana just left duxford heading north. assume she is going home?

Mike

Post by Mike »

Yes, headed for Prestwick then onwards. Getting on their way before the weather breaks no doubt.

A few more will be trickling back over the next few days. I believe one or two might be staying on at Duxford for Flying Legends.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

N24320 Miss Montana just passed over Lincoln, heading north.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

• 'Daks Over Normandy' Part 3: Daks Over Normandy - The third and final part of our look at the D-Day anniversary events comes from northern France, where Gordon Duncan was present to take in the main event of the 'Daks Over Normandy' project.

Image Image Image

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

UK Airshow Review wrote:
  • 'Daks Over Normandy' Part 3: Daks Over Normandy - The third and final part of our look at the D-Day anniversary events comes from northern France, where Gordon Duncan was present to take in the main event of the 'Daks Over Normandy' project.

Image Image Image

The 'Main event' indeed. :sad:
Why so serious?

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

UK Airshow Review wrote:

Image Image Image

Small point from the opening of this Part 3... the Para drop over Normandy was into fields in Sannerville and not Ranville. :up: And what we got over Sannerville was quite impressive with the pre-amble of the various Hercules/Casas and a Transall (I think) dropping parachutists through about half a dozen (?) circuits. The arrival of the Dakotas was chaotic as previously discussed in this thread. Some going straight into Caen, whilst others vectored for the parachute drop. Even that parachute drop seemed chaotic with some alternative vectors criss-crossing the drop zone. I thought it looked great, naively thinking that this was all in the script. However, it appears not to have been the case, and some of the parachutists seemingly exiting their aircraft such that their arrival on ground was 'close' to power lines.

It was a spectacle, no doubts there and I am glad I was there at Sannerville to see it.

I also did the airfield at Caen the next day for 'the main event.' I think the article sums that up pretty well. Call a spade a spade.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Dakota Norway LN-WND has left Duxford. They’re currently just off the coast of Lowestoft and look to be heading home.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

My small effort to document a part of Daks over Normandy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta--4qWTYiM&t=279s
Why so serious?