VR set-up

Discuss and share resources with fellow gamers
Phantom ACE

VR set-up

Post by Phantom ACE »

Spent some time with the DCS software guys at Duxford on Sunday and was blown away by the VR set-up they had.

Am now very interested in setting up something similar at home with the Thrustmaster Warthog controllers (I already have a high spec PC with VR gaming ability built in) but am wondering about the options available for the VR headset. I have seen the Oculus Rift and HTC headsets and was wondering if there were any others that come highly recommended (Pretty sure they were not using either of these at Duxford but may be wrong).

Thanks for any advice / recommendations !

Al.

yak-aviation

Re: VR set-up

Post by yak-aviation »

We have a pre-production Rift DK2. I understand that the production version of the Rift has less judder and better resolution. Having said that, the DK2 has been stuck in the cupboard for 3yrs because no ruddy drivers would work with my laptop. Now that's all been fixed, I can say that FSX with FlyInside works brilliantly on Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop which is a high-end Dell M4700 with i7 3740QM quad core proc. Getting consistently over 50fps. I've read that Prepar3D offers a better virtual cockpit in some cases but a slower frame rate. Anyway, the experience is simply great if you have the yoke and rudder and treat flight sim seriously.
Alex Berry, 2017 Aviation Quiz - and proving quite a challenge... http://yak-aviation.com/competition.html

Rob.Brindley

Post by Rob.Brindley »

Hi Al,

I was one of the guys on the stand over the May show weekend in Hangar 2. We were using a Rift CV1, the current release version. So far, we've found this to be the best solution for DCS - I can't comment on other sims. We'll be back over the Legends weekend if you want to stop by and ask us any questions :)

Rob

Auster_9

Post by Auster_9 »

We have just installed a Rift CV1 into a Spitfire Simulator that we have built for Warner Bros to promote 'Dunkirk'. Has like DCS World worked very well and even with our own controls, we have had no real problems, except for a novice pilot breaking a rubber molding which has since been replaced by a metal switch!!!

Works very well with Aerofly2, another simulator which we hope to support in the future.

Martin
Gateguards

digitalsafari

Post by digitalsafari »

Did you get a Vive or a Rift?

I just got a used Oculus Rift (CV1), very impressed with DCS.