What is the deal with the commentary?

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Dan O'Hagan

Re: What is the deal with the commentary?

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Xray833 wrote:I agree the main commentary wasn`t great and after a time I just switched off as far as it was concerned. The one that really did annoy me was the Chinook Display Team commentator. He was a cross between an Army RSM and the American F22 Raptor commentator. Too loud, shouting instructions “ GET YOUR CAM _ ER _ RA READY NOW!!!” and “cheesy” . Some have said enthusiastic but I found it very distracting. Just me or anyone else ?

Very few acts "get" the need for an entertaining, professional-sounding commentary, with or without music. It's important for acts to appreciate that how an item is received on the crowdline depends an awful lot on how it is presented from the commentary box. Too many of the RAF/British military items are delivered in a plummy-sounding accent from someone who sounds like they're being forced to read a twee script at gunpoint. Too many of the civilian items don't bother providing a commentator or even a script. You're part of a show, so the craftsmanship and showmanship needs to extend beyond the cockpit!

The US military get this - though do often take it too far, but you can never accuse a USAF/USN commentary of being dull or forgettable.

TornadoAlex

Post by TornadoAlex »

MarkL wrote:Extreme view.

I do not like commentaries. There, said it.

I would rather just watch and let the acts speak for themselves. Of all the airshows I've ever attended I can only really recall Maffet's missing man commentaries at various RIATs as memorable. That's not a good record.

I watch a lot of football at The John Smith's Stadium without the need for commentary. I've moaned at Sky to give me a 'no commentary' option on Prem League Football.

If you want act info, display slots etc, buy a programme.

Commentators seem to be on an ego trip these days, me no like.

DanO' non of this applies to you of course and kids, it's not cool to iron your jeans.

We did buy a programme but like any airshow the timetable is only a rough guide due to the weather and mechanical issues it is what it is. Therefore we are somewhat reliant on the commentator for updates on the timetable...

It would appear I miss heard what the commentator said and we wrongly assumed the Tornado was cancelled due to the lack of any comments whatsoever about the Tornado. We were glued to the display line for most of the day and stood right next to a speaker.

Within seconds of the announcement of the Typhoon being cancelled we noticed hordes of people leaving the airfield for home the commentator sort of pleaded with the crowds and said weather might improve. Still no mention of the Tornado display they lost a lot of revenue at that point.

When the Mustang finished its display still no mention of the Tornado!

Hard lesson learned we will be more pro active next time and ask someone in the know we are relative new comers to airshows. So... I assume the only other chance to see a Tornado will be RIAT?

Very tempted to go to Scampton what are the chances there will be a last minute addition of the Tornado to the display list?

CJS

Post by CJS »

Don't know about the chances but it's not exactly last minute - the show isn't 'til September!

It's a tricky one but I would always suggest staying to the very end if you can. Often, unless they close the show, the end of the RAFAT display often signals a mass exodus, making exiting easier if you wait.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

CJS wrote:It's a tricky one but I would always suggest staying to the very end if you can. Often, unless they close the show, the end of the RAFAT display often signals a mass exodus, making exiting easier if you wait.
Last year at RIAT's Sunday I thought I could beat the crowd by leaving during the Reds display. No way that it worked as planned. Traffic was just the same nightmare as it normally is after RAFAT.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Cole

Post by Cole »

G-CVIX wrote:I watched the live stream and yes I thought it was terrible, to the point that I turned the sound off.

Appreciate the whole reason why he apparently didn't see the B-52 but in my mind part of the job of commentator is to inform the crowd of aircraft inbound or rolling. For the same reason I get annoyed at RIAT when Bacon is bleeting on about ice creams and "get to the car parks", meaning Ben can't tell people that something has started it's take off roll.

Surely he should have been in on comms and heard the B-52 call up? So at the very least a "we can't quite see it but the B-52 is inbound" would have been achievable?

I don't want to be too critical because it must be a very hard job to do, but still.

The B-52 did NOT get cleared to run-in, I heard that it was in the hold THAT WAS IT...
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

On the topic of commentary - I was well impressed with the Swiss PC-7 commentary considering English wasn't his first language. How many of us can even speak one word of Swiss?

john001

Post by john001 »

PirateTrickster wrote:On the topic of commentary - I was well impressed with the Swiss PC-7 commentary considering English wasn't his first language. How many of us can even speak one word of Swiss?

Quite right, none of us, although I suspect there are a number that can manage a few words in French, German or Italian.

Mike

Post by Mike »

john001 wrote:
PirateTrickster wrote:How many of us can even speak one word of Swiss?

Quite right, none of us, although I suspect there are a number that can manage a few words in French, German or Italian.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

john001 wrote:
PirateTrickster wrote:On the topic of commentary - I was well impressed with the Swiss PC-7 commentary considering English wasn't his first language. How many of us can even speak one word of Swiss?

They will still have to get to the right dialect for Switserland.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

CJS

Post by CJS »

Maybe he meant Romansch?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"