Oshkosh 2018

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
timuss

Oshkosh 2018

Post by timuss »

I really fancy it for next year but a few questions:

Flying ive been looking at Appleton Airport seems to be the closest??

And now the big one accomodation hotels any recommendations?

Thank you in advance.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Re: Oshkosh 2018

Post by Skyflash »

timuss wrote:I really fancy it for next year but a few questions:

Flying I've been looking at Appleton Airport seems to be the closest??

And now the big one accomodation hotels any recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

I don't know how many domestic flights there are to Appleton, but bear in mind that for the show days it effectively becomes an 'overspill' airport for Wittman, where the Oshkosh airshow actually takes place. For example, the B-17 and B-29 pleasure flights operate from Appleton. I would have thought that your best bet (assuming you're flying from the UK) would be to fly to Chicago and then hire a car - it's about a 3hr drive from memory.

In terms of accommodation I can highly recommend staying at the University (University of Wisconsin Oshkosh campus) - you can get very cheap shuttle buses from there to and from the airshow.

Oshkosh is well worth seeing, a fantastic experience... must say I'm very tempted to head back next year myself.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Skyflash wrote:would have thought that your best bet (assuming you're flying from the UK) would be to fly to Chicago and then hire a car - it's about a 3hr drive from memory.

Chicago O'Hare will have the best options from flights from the UK. That's what we did when we visited in 2012, but lots of stops along the way to various museums etc!
http://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/overs ... e-oshkosh/ :rock:

Disaster Area

Post by Disaster Area »

Returning to Oshkosh next year after an 11 year break, like others flying into Chicago O'hare and driving up to Oshkosh via a few airfields to arrive on the Friday before the show actually starts.

With regards to accommodation I have booked a house about 1/4 mile from Wittman Airport so no commute to and from the show.

If you can get a group together it might be worth looking at a site such as airbnb and renting a house as it works out quite economical in some cases

Chris.

timuss

Post by timuss »

hmmm thanks for the tips much to ponder.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner

Niallxg

Post by Niallxg »

Very tempted myself.

Anyone any experience of camping at the show?

Regards

Niall

McG

Post by McG »

I've booked a room at the university of Wisconsin dorms.
Have been looking at ATW, ORD and Milwaukee (MKE) for the flights. MKE is around half way between ORD and Oshkosh.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

With 1000s of Mosquitoes willing to suck you dry of your blood in the evenings I would stay away from camping!! This show is a 1000 times more relaxing than IAT so no need to be rushing about.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Georgeconna wrote:With 1000s of Mosquitoes willing to suck you dry of your blood in the evenings I would stay away from camping!! This show is a 1000 times more relaxing than IAT so no need to be rushing about.

Agreed, on both points.

Especially the second point... so much so, in fact, that there is not even much benefit in being early on the field at Wittman, in stark contrast to most European shows which involve getting up at daft-o'clock either to beat the traffic and/or to secure a decent spot on the airfield.

At Oshkosh and if staying in university accommodation you can have a reasonable long-lie, leisurely (inexpensive) breakfast at the university canteen, shuttle-bus to the airfield c. 10am and arrive knowing that you won't have missed much, if anything.

The daily airshows tend to start around 1pm, and the best photographic opportunities tend to occur later in the day.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Mike

Post by Mike »

Skyflash wrote:Especially the second point... so much so, in fact, that there is not even much benefit in being early on the field at Wittman, in stark contrast to most European shows which involve getting up at daft-o'clock either to beat the traffic and/or to secure a decent spot on the airfield.

The only caveat to that is that a lot of the interesting aircraft only fly once during the week, for a 'dawn patrol' photo flight for an EAA air-to-air photographer, so it's worth getting on-site very early (6.30-7am) on one or two days during the week to see what you can catch.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Mike wrote:
Skyflash wrote:Especially the second point... so much so, in fact, that there is not even much benefit in being early on the field at Wittman, in stark contrast to most European shows which involve getting up at daft-o'clock either to beat the traffic and/or to secure a decent spot on the airfield.

The only caveat to that is that a lot of the interesting aircraft only fly once during the week, for a 'dawn patrol' photo flight for an EAA air-to-air photographer, so it's worth getting on-site very early (6.30-7am) on one or two days during the week to see what you can catch.

Fair enough - must admit I wasn't aware of that.

TBF I was so excited when I was there last year that I'm pretty sure I was on-base fairly early on the first couple of days anyway!

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I've just re-read Peter's report from 2012 and Oshkosh has just gone straight to the top of the Wish List :grin: Only one question: how do I sell this to the wife? :question:

Andy :biggrin:

Mike

Post by Mike »

Blackbird wrote:I've just re-read Peter's report from 2012 and Oshkosh has just gone straight to the top of the Wish List :grin: Only one question: how do I sell this to the wife? :question:

Andy :biggrin:

Easy. There's a shopping mall right outside the main gate! :lol:

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

I took the now wife to this in early 2000s, She loved it, Appleton is a lovely spot for nosh and beer. Visit to Chicago down the road is also a teaser.

Gonna try for 2020 for the big 50. Hope for Martin Mars again and the 2 B-29s!! Some chance though.

Nice tip on the Early am stuff but Its a Holiday for me not a Endurance test and I see ya mans air to air pics anyhow, Why worry. :wink:
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Most of the headline acts at Oshkosh are one-offs. I wouldn't expect to see the Mars or the B-29 pair there again anytime soon.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I can thoroughly recommend the University doms albeit that the accommodation is basic as you'd have to expect from doms (ie communal toilet, showering facilities etc.) but the transport from the university to the airfield is outstanding running all day early to late (although less frequent during the middle of the day) so if you want to return to the uni for some reason there's no problem in that. There's nothing like arriving at the airfield quite early in the morning and hearing popping Merlins as several Mustangs return from an early flight. I loved it!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Mike

Post by Mike »

The biggest problem that I had with the university dorm rooms the couple of times I stayed there was the lack of aircon, making them quite unpleasantly warm at night. They are very reasonably priced ($75/night for a twin room) and convenient though, and the shuttle bus service is excellent (although it finishes quite early)

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I have to say that I found ventilation to be perfectly adequate once the window was opened. It has an insect mesh. Incidentally, I understand that an additional accommodation block has recently been built which has self-contained rooms that are also let out during AirVenture, but they are obviously going to be more expensive then the more basic ones. As far as the buses are concerned I believe that they run until around 22.00, so that you can see most of the presentations in the Theatre in the Woods, and very good they were too!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

SkyDave

Post by SkyDave »

I volunteer at Oshkosh every year and travel from the UK. Getting there is easy, Into O'hare and its a 3 hr drive due north. For beginners , staying at the Dorms is good and provides secure accommodation, the disadvantage is that is off the airfield. Aviation activities for me start at 5.30am and go through to 10pm. If you want to see the rarer stuff flying then you need to aim for the Dawn Patrols. I recommended that to a couple UK guys this year who didn't believe me, next morning though they were on site and were rewarded with 4 and 5 ship Mustang formations.

If you fly to Appleton, there is a direct bus service to the show and don't worry about Appleton being overrun as to is a municipal airport and so has gates and jetways like other major sites. Remember the aviation goes on until 11pm, with comedy, rock concerts and movies thrown in.

Dave

timuss

Post by timuss »

Well Hotel searching is proving rather interesting, not much availability.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner

McG

Post by McG »

Tim,

That might be due to it being so far in advance. I know that most of the airlines don't put their flights on sale till 330 days before.

Mark.

timuss

Post by timuss »

I've found some hotels wanting almost 3k for 9nts accommodation.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner

McG

Post by McG »

Jeeze. I was $675 for a room at the Uni for the same amount of nights. Best bit is you only need to pay $75 deposit just now.

PeteFenwick

Post by PeteFenwick »

I have been lucky enough to go twice, 2016 being the last visit (to see the Martin Mars).

I agree it is easy to drive from Chicago and cash for the toll roads is straightforward with a readily identifiable manned cash booths. About 3 hours drive. I booked late and with accommodation being in short supply (and blooming expensive) I stayed at Green Bay about an easy hours drive north -but I would recommend somewhere closer to allow sunrise/sunset pics.

Any visitor has to accept one can't see every aircraft but be aware a lot visit for only a day or two. On the monday I spent the first day at the seaplane base as the afternoon airshow included a seaplane parade hence lots of activity at the wonderfully relaxing seaplane base. On tuesday morning I photographed 4 Douglas Skyraiders only to see them take off early on the wednesday (when parking the car) with only 3 returning. quite a few aircraft leave early or late so be aware. Sadly current military which are not being shown in Boeing Plaza stay in a secure compound on the north east hence one can only get photos on arrival or departure.

A fantastic event and one I hope to revisit in the next couple of years.

Enjoy

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

For my two visits (2013 & 2015) from Australia, I flew into Chicago then to Appleton. A bus or taxi to the Uof W and you're there! The accommodation at the university is fine plus, if you book early, you can reserve aircon rooms.

Buy a 7-day bus pass and enjoy unlimited rides to and from the airfield without the hassle of driving and parking.

Hope you have a great time.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums