Nellis Airshow 2018

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
edhunter

Nellis Airshow 2018

Post by edhunter »

I'm all booked up to go to nellis 2018, I'm staying at mandalay bay hotel and I was wondering if there is anyone willing to maybe share a taxi to the speedway?

When do they start adding aircraft for the show?

Is it possible to get a good view and photos from the top of the tower at stratosphere?

AlexC

Re: nellis airshow 2018

Post by AlexC »

No, the Stratosphere is too far away. I'd recommend a trip to the top however, great views over the city.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Fumbles

Re: Nellis Airshow 2018

Post by Fumbles »

As Alex has said.. You won't get a good shot from the Stratosphere. It is still almost 10 miles away. Don't bother with a cab as I'd say a cab ride from Mandalay Bay will probably cost about $100 each way. It's $40 just from McCarran to Mandalay Bay now. If you don't rent a car, go with Uber as a friend of mine did it last year and from McCarran to Nellis cost him $20.

Regarding the participation list... Nellis is very slow, they start adding aircraft around September! :ghost:

Canuck84

Post by Canuck84 »

Might wanna email the Nellis AFB PAO, as several sources are saying Nellis is cancelled for 2018.

International Council of Air Shows is one of the sources.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Canuck84 wrote:Might wanna email the Nellis AFB PAO, as several sources are saying Nellis is cancelled for 2018.

International Council of Air Shows is one of the sources.

Yes... I've heard that rumour as well. I've heard that the show may turn into a every second year show. So far the show seems like a go ahead according to the Thunderbirds and F-22 schedules.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

This is a real disaster for me, I booked my flights two days ago...

Can anybody advise what spotting is like around the base on ordinary days?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

MiG_Eater wrote:This is a real disaster for me, I booked my flights two days ago...

Can anybody advise what spotting is like around the base on ordinary days?

Excellent.

At the race track end, parking next to the race track fence (not the airfield fence, you will get a visit and get told to leave) you can get good shots of departing and arriving aircraft. POINT A https://goo.gl/maps/KSuFQejHdav

Departing aircraft “flex” left and you get a topside more often than not.
Arriving aircraft on the right hand runway turn short finals around you so again, you get topsides. You can try and get shots of aircraft using the left hand runway but they’re a little far away.

At the other end of the runway is a scrap yard. The A-10’s tend to use the right hand runway when this end is in use and there is a superb spot to bag them from walking down a storm drain (watch out for Rattlers). POINT B https://goo.gl/maps/obQnKeXFzsk

Arrivals to the left hand runway are possible but you have to watch for the pit bulls in the scrap yards. We stood on the concrete Balls at the location linked and got a visit from a dog that would not leave us alone! POINT C https://goo.gl/maps/L4ya9f2FzUG2

POINT A

ImageF-22A Raptor - HH - 03-0059 by -evansaviography-

ImageF-15C Eagle - WA - 78-0511 by -evansaviography-

POINT B

ImageA-10C - DM - 81-0977 by -evansaviography-

ImageA-10C - DM - 80-0167 by -evansaviography-

POINT C

ImageF-16C Fighting Falcon - Duluth - 91-0406 by -evansaviography-

ImageHC-130P Hercules - FL - 65-0976 by -evansaviography-

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Thanks very much for these Boff, they are great photos!

Is there much activity outside of exercise times? I know Red Flag is legendary, but do you think those of us visiting around the time of the (supposedly) cancelled airshow could see much?

McG

Post by McG »

Depends how busy the weapons school is.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

It's a fairly busy base due to the NTTR. There is regular visiting squadrons (often foreign) using the NTTR for training/weapons school and based units include a lot of A-10's, test Raptors '35's and F-16's plus aggressor F-16's/civilian.

I've been twice, once outside of Red Flag and once during Flag. The former saw German Tonka's and a USAF E-3 turn up.

Of course you're not all that far from Rainbow Canyon which is a few hours out of Vegas for something different! Would recommend a drive out to the Hoover Dam too, it's quite a sight!

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Thanks for the advice.

As well as Rainbow Canyon I am considering a visit up to Rachel to see active aircraft. Does anyone have any advice on either of these? (Perhaps time to move this to another thread... although it's quite relevant since many people will be in the same predicament as me!)

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I wrote to Nellis AFB and asked if the airshow was cancelled. I received the following ambiguous response:

"We have not confirmed a cancellation yet, but will post a press release if we do. Please continue to check back on the website."

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Perhaps a mistake to speculate, but the ACC schedules have been revised this morning and there's no reference to Aviation Nation on them. Neither are there any clashes it has to be noted.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I can't see that the show is anything but cancelled. The F-22 schedule now shows the dates as actually cancelled - not just removed.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

I spent a couple of days at Rachel back in 2014. No activity aviation wise, but highly recommend the Little A'le'inn as a great place to visit.

ImageLittle A'Le'Inn - Rachel, Nevada by Tim Felce, on Flickr

ImageLittle A'Le'Inn - Rachel, Nevada by Tim Felce, on Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

McG

Post by McG »

Confirmed - no show in 2018.

Next show in 2019, a week later than previous shows.

http://www.nellis.af.mil/About/Press-Re ... -schedule/