Weston Air Festival 2018

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
richyrara

Weston Air Festival 2018

Post by richyrara »

http://www.visit-westonsupermare.com/ev ... 8-p2310293

The 2018 Weston Air Festival will take place on Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th June on the Weston-super-Mare Seafront and Beach Lawns in Weston-super-Mare.

Frogfoot

Re: Weston Air Festival 2018

Post by Frogfoot »

Sadly, I was very disappointed with last year’s event. It seemed that most of the spectators chose to ignore the request for them to stay out of the water (which I agree is ridiculous given that it’s a seaside show), subsequently pushing the display line even further out to sea. That solo Stearman was practically over Wales! I understand that there is nothing the organisers could do, and they tried their best to remove those who were selfish enough to ignore the red tape.

richyrara

Post by richyrara »

Yeah the display line is as I remember marked out with bouys, and at various points in the day will be over water or beach depending on the (famously vast) tidal range at Weston - sadly every year the displays seem to be closer to Steepholm than the beachfront - I guess they have to take the pier into account when considering the crowdline

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Last time I attended a couple of years ago the displays were more over Steepholm,especially the Typhoon.There were several people on there with a great view.I assume boat trips were organised from Weston harbour?

planesgalaxxyclacton

Post by planesgalaxxyclacton »

Typhoon and Red Arrows both have Weston on their schedules for both days.

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

I think you're mistaking Brean Down for Steepholm (the displays would be barely visible if over steepholm!)

No boat trip required, just park up at the national trust car park and walk up the hill....at your own risk of course!

Some shots from last year...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77718

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

richyrara

Post by richyrara »

Some of the displays occasionally do a nice close pass close at Brean, but most of them don't, especially the smaller stuff. The distance can be deceptive!

SilentFlight

Post by SilentFlight »

2018 Weston Line Up

RAF Red Arrows
RAF Typhoon
RAF BBMF - including Trenchard Formation
Red Bull BO-105
Gazelle Squadron
Team Raven
BAC Strikemaster
Pitts Special
Catalina
Calidus Autogyro
T67 Firefly
AeroSuperbatics Wing Walkers
Mustang - Hangar 11

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Just wondering what the traffic is like on the day ? Thinking of goibg on the day or night before if needs be. Will be travelling from Worcs down tbe M5

SilentFlight

Post by SilentFlight »

Mr Benn wrote:Just wondering what the traffic is like on the day ? Thinking of goibg on the day or night before if needs be. Will be travelling from Worcs down tbe M5

Getting in isn't too bad, getting out on the other hand, even a few hours later is interesting.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Looking like excellent weather today for it, hope all those attending have a great time.

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

Good show at Weston. Always turn up super early from Bristol so no traffic issues. Left at 17.30pm and no problems getting out. A tidy, fluid show with some nice items with good weather to boot. Battle of Britain has really stepped up this year and the Mustang had some powerful passes. Typhoon very distant...my daughter didn't have to wear ear defenders throughout. I am a huge fan of the Red Arrows but same thoughts as after Cosford that seem more sedate this year. I think its the first 7 minutes or so where there a delays between each pass. Red 10 though has certainly upped his tempo though.

I'm a huge fan of seaside shows and Weston 2018 was a mosyt enjoyable day. Bring back Dawlish!

wdg

Post by wdg »

I went both days - really enjoyed the show. Weather was excellent - although a little challenging for photography with the position of the sun. A good lineup for one of the smaller shows, I particularly enjoyed seeing the Bo105 display and was impressed with how manoeuvrable it was. I thought the BBMF were excellent as well, and the Autogyro put on a good performance - especially on the Sunday. The aircraft seemed a bit closer to the crowd than at Torbay, except for the Pitts which was so far out it was difficult to see at times.

Was nice to see the statics flying in, but would have been better if the organisers had announced when the arrivals would take place as I would have got there earlier to watch. Luckily I still got to see most of the arrivals - except for the Whirlwind's final approach and landing. Could also have used more warning of where Red 10's helicopter was going to land as its downdraught took out my lunch on the Saturday!

Went by train on the Saturday and would have on the Sunday as well but for multiple service cancellations, so drove instead and walked in from out of town to avoid traffic. Disappointing that First Great Western didn't take the airshow seriously enough to provide adequate, let alone additional, rail services.

Overall a very enjoyable weekend - especially given that this is a free airshow - and a great warmup for the bigger shows around the corner.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/161562983 ... 7884709324

sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

wdg wrote:I went both days - really enjoyed the show. Weather was excellent - although a little challenging for photography with the position of the sun. A good lineup for one of the smaller shows, I particularly enjoyed seeing the Bo105 display and was impressed with how manoeuvrable it was. I thought the BBMF were excellent as well, and the Autogyro put on a good performance - especially on the Sunday. The aircraft seemed a bit closer to the crowd than at Torbay, except for the Pitts which was so far out it was difficult to see at times.

Was nice to see the statics flying in, but would have been better if the organisers had announced when the arrivals would take place as I would have got there earlier to watch. Luckily I still got to see most of the arrivals - except for the Whirlwind's final approach and landing. Could also have used more warning of where Red 10's helicopter was going to land as its downdraught took out my lunch on the Saturday!

Went by train on the Saturday and would have on the Sunday as well but for multiple service cancellations, so drove instead and walked in from out of town to avoid traffic. Disappointing that First Great Western didn't take the airshow seriously enough to provide adequate, let alone additional, rail services.

Overall a very enjoyable weekend - especially given that this is a free airshow - and a great warmup for the bigger shows around the corner.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/161562983 ... 7884709324

Similar to previous years when Great Western failed to provide enough stock. I complained to the local MP a couple of years ago who got a response from the MD saying it would improve...... :lol: