Cosford Air Show by Motorcycle

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
modellermark2

Cosford Air Show by Motorcycle

Post by modellermark2 »

Hi all - great to be on here.

I have been fortunate enough to have been bought tickets to this years show for my birthday :biggrin:

I live in Shropshire and have seen what the traffic can be like getting into the show so i thought that this year we could travel via our motorcycles.

Can anyone that has done this tell me if different routes are to be followed, any tips and tricks and am i right in assuming it will be a much smooter entrance than by car?

Thanks all - really excited to be going as it has been years since we last went to the Cosford show ..... last time i remember going Ken Wallace (god rest his soul) was flying Little Nellie and firing rockets at army Landrovers :shock:
I use the same username on YouTube - do pay me a visit :-)
https://www.youtube.com/user/modellermark2

speedbird2639

Re: Cosford Air Show by Motorcycle

Post by speedbird2639 »

From the FAQs on the show website:

Is Motorbike parking available?
Motorbike parking is available on a small amount of hard standing ground on the site, however, the security of the motorbike is the sole responsibility of the owner. Please follow the signs for motorbike parking on your approach to the event.

That is the only mention of m/bikes so assume you just follow the normal routes.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

speedbird2639 wrote:From the FAQs on the show website:

Is Motorbike parking available?
Motorbike parking is available on a small amount of hard standing ground on the site, however, the security of the motorbike is the sole responsibility of the owner. Please follow the signs for motorbike parking on your approach to the event.

That is the only mention of m/bikes so assume you just follow the normal routes.

Just weave side to side a little more. :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

modellermark2

Post by modellermark2 »

Thanks - i had seen that on the site ... i was just hoping to find someone that had actually done it to get their views on how easy it was.
I am thinking it will be easier than going by car but like to leverage experience :smile:

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

From which direction will you be coming ModellerMark2? Shrewsbury/Telford?

modellermark2

Post by modellermark2 »

I will probably come through Bridgnorth up to Sutton Maddock ... so have a couple of choices from there depending on which routes are open / best.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

modellermark2 wrote:I will probably come through Bridgnorth up to Sutton Maddock ... so have a couple of choices from there depending on which routes are open / best.

From there you'll pretty much be on my route in.

Shifnal, Stanton Road, Neachley Lane.
This does lead to the off base parking in a field which I've used for the last 3 years and never had an issue. Traffic is one way on Neachley Lane on the day.

Whether you will be able to access the on base parking from there with the bike I'm not sure though.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Go in through the main entrance, not Neachley lane the off base parking is a bit of a hike.
You will have no problems on the bike going in via the main gate.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

vulcan558 wrote:Go in through the main entrance, not Neachley lane the off base parking is a bit of a hike.
You will have no problems on the bike going in via the main gate.

A bit of a hike = about 200 metres.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

It might only be a 200 metre walk from the off base parking but I'm sure the OP will be wanting some hand standing for his bike and for that he will need to go for the on base parking. The lines of traffic into the base will only be moving at walking pace so should be easy enough to thread your way between the lines of cars on to the base.

modellermark2

Post by modellermark2 »

That's great thanks ... so just use the main entrance and then head for the motorcycle hard standing.
That is about what i needed to know in case their was anything different for going on a motor cycle.
Thanks again ... can't wait :smile: