Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
phreakf4

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Post by phreakf4 »

SpitfireSpotter wrote:Hi all, very much looking forward to the show tomorrow, last visited for the Proms last year and I can't believe it's taken me over a year to return. Looks like a great line up.
Does anyone know what hot food traders are likely to be there? The website doesn't really say and I didn't pay attention last year due to bringing a packed lunch.
Is it anything like Duxford in price and selection or different?
Many thanks

Very different to Duxford. There is the restaurant which serves hot or cold food at what I consider reasonable prices but which tend to be very busy (long queues) on show days but there are also a couple of "catering pods" open on show days, one of which does burgers, bacon rolls etc. and the other (at the other end of the "trade area" does beverages only.

In my experience the burgers from the former are good and excellent value.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Burgers are very good, Breakfast is full english + hot drink 7.95 one of the cheapest breakfasts I know.
Thomas

Mike

Post by Mike »

The food vendors are all run by The Collection. There is a restaurant on site (hot meals and sandwiches at reasonable prices), a burger caravan, one selling sandwiches and teas and coffees, a table in one of the hangars selling tea and cakes, and a licensed bar. And the nice thing is, all the profits go back into The Collection.

SpitfireSpotter

Post by SpitfireSpotter »

Fantastic, thanks all for your help. Great to hear the profits return to the collection too.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Mike wrote:The food vendors are all run by The Collection. There is a restaurant on site (hot meals and sandwiches at reasonable prices), a burger caravan, one selling sandwiches and teas and coffees, a table in one of the hangars selling tea and cakes, and a licensed bar. And the nice thing is, all the profits go back into The Collection.

I no longer bother taking food to Old Warden, much prefer to pick up something on-site as it benefits the Collection. The sandwiches are decent and not extortionate (though still a little more than you'll pay on the High Street). I gather the hot food is pretty good too.

Other venues, especially an avaricious one in Cambridgeshire, could learn an awful lot from how Shuttleworth do catering.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Was a good day, if cold, not many topsides but that's race day. Dodge Bailey final display as chief pilot but will continue to fly for the collection. Spitfire pr11 did a lovely display and the float planes were something different. Only 2 compers as one tech for the display but was on the ground.
Thomas

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Anyone else think the spartan was cheating in the handicap? Looked like some big corner cutting

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Yep the spartan definitely cut a few corners!
Thomas

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Lovely weather made the day, brilliant for October. To be honest the content was not really "my thing", but I had a superb day. Second time this year I have seen the Edwardians fly, wonderful.

Superb display by John Romain in the Spitfire, one of the best I have ever seen.
Last edited by pb643 on Mon 08 Oct 2018, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpitfireSpotter

Post by SpitfireSpotter »

Agreed, JR's display brought a tear to my eye, just magical. A great day, with some interesting content and a markedly different experience to the few other times I've been over the years.

Two gripes, queuing over an hour for a burger, aside from the restaurant there was only one other hot food vendor. And it was a bit chilly, but still incredibly lucky with the weather considering how it was yesterday.

Highlights for me, aside from PL983; seeing Mark Levy back in the TF-51 after watching last year's heart in mouth, unplanned off-site excursion at DX.
Two displays by the Comet, I never tire of seeing that beautiful red lady.
The Sparten (even if he did cheat!)
And the Edwardians, what an absolute treat. Bravo and thank you Dodge and to the entire team at Shuttleworth!

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Lovely "display" by the Anson I thought!

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

A great race day! Yes the show is a bit different to the rest of the year - it's nice to have a bit of a change. Some nice weather even if the sun was blocked by clouds at the "wrong" times - I will get some nicely lit shots of 501 eventually! As others had said John in the Mk.XI was a fantastic display ( as of course was the resident 501 ).

SpitfireSpotter wrote:Agreed, JR's display brought a tear to my eye, just magical. A great day, with some interesting content and a markedly different experience to the few other times I've been over the years.

Two gripes, queuing over an hour for a burger, aside from the restaurant there was only one other hot food vendor. And it was a bit chilly, but still incredibly lucky with the weather considering how it was yesterday.

The food was all provided by Shuttleworth, unless there was some one else I didn't see and I guess the people serving the food are volunteers. I noticed that the queues were long, but then the queues were quite short at the last show. But it would be nice if they had a bit more capacity.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Not directly related to Race day, but which of the Edwardians are considered to be currently airworthy?

Earlier in the year, I saw the Avro triplane, Boxkite, Blackburn monoplane and the Deperdussin. I think I am correct in saying that it was the same aircraft listed for yesterdays show, though of course the Triplane did not fly, so I may have been mistaken. Does the Bleriot fly? A Bleriot appeared at Legends a few years ago, but I think that was from France?

On the subject of food and drink. A largish crowd like yesterday does seem to overwhelm the outlets, even the coffee machines in the restaurant are not really appropriate for the air show days, way too slow.

Edit: Having just checked the website, it seems that the Bleriot is probably the only other potentially airworthy Edwardian. :lol:

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

AFAIK the triplane was never on the display list, she is in Hangar 1 awaiting maintenance of some sort.
Re catering, OW need to get 2 burger vans as a minimum on show days, the queue was beyond ridiculous! Also, the restaurant congestion could surely be eased by keeping coffee machines well away from the tills... Just a thought.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

pb643 wrote:Not directly related to Race day, but which of the Edwardians are considered to be currently airworthy?

Earlier in the year, I saw the Avro triplane, Boxkite, Blackburn monoplane and the Deperdussin. I think I am correct in saying that it was the same aircraft listed for yesterdays show, though of course the Triplane did not fly, so I may have been mistaken. Does the Bleriot fly? A Bleriot appeared at Legends a few years ago, but I think that was from France?

Edit: Having just checked the website, it seems that the Bleriot is probably the only other potentially airworthy Edwardian. :lol:

The Blériot at Legends was Mikael Carlson's reproduction from Sweden, which he roads around to airshows across Europe.

You're correct on the Shuttleworth Edwardians front - the Blériot has had a lot of work done and I've not seen it outside for some time.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Tom105 wrote:Dodge Bailey final display as chief pilot but will continue to fly for the collection.

Who takes over, Paul Stone?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Elliott Marsh wrote:
pb643 wrote:Not directly related to Race day, but which of the Edwardians are considered to be currently airworthy?

The Blériot at Legends was Mikael Carlson's reproduction from Sweden, which he roads around to airshows across Europe.

You're correct on the Shuttleworth Edwardians front - the Blériot has had a lot of work done and I've not seen it outside for some time.

Thank you. That all rings a bell.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Tom105 wrote:Dodge Bailey final display as chief pilot but will continue to fly for the collection.

Who takes over, Paul Stone?

No name was mentioned as far as I am aware.

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

UKTopgun wrote:AFAIK the triplane was never on the display list, she is in Hangar 1 awaiting maintenance of some sort.
Re catering, OW need to get 2 burger vans as a minimum on show days, the queue was beyond ridiculous! Also, the restaurant congestion could surely be eased by keeping coffee machines well away from the tills... Just a thought.

The Avro Triplane was originally on the list until it was updated with the changes.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Race to the Finish" - Tom Jones travelled to the Shuttleworth Collection 'Race Day' Airshow to report for UKAR.

Image Image Image Image Image

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

UKTopgun wrote:Re catering, OW need to get 2 burger vans as a minimum on show days, the queue was beyond ridiculous! Also, the restaurant congestion could surely be eased by keeping coffee machines well away from the tills... Just a thought.

I must also add that there were one or two "queue jumpers" whom I suspect judging by their attire were SVAS members. Surprisingly nothing was actually said at the time (I suppose because Shuttleworth folk are civilised), but it certainly ruffled a few feathers at the back. You know who you are if you're reading this, bad show, bad example, not good enough. :wat:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

What do SVAS members wear!?

Mike

Post by Mike »

Plus Fours, a tweed jacket and a deerstalker hat I believe.

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

MiG_Eater wrote:What do SVAS members wear!?

Barathea with a fancey badge, flannels, regimental tie, straw panama, full of middle aged self importance. The thing is when you've been slowly losing the will to live in a long queue, it kind of rankles when someone casually stroles up to the front and blatently proffers their mate with dosh to order an extra thirty quid's worth of bacon butties for his crowd. That's the kind of oafish behaviour you see from a moron at a pop concert, not Old Warden. Anyway rant over, I as ever with this place still enjoyed my day.

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

Roughcutter wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:What do SVAS members wear!?

Barathea with a fancey badge, flannels, regimental tie, straw panama, full of middle aged self importance. The thing is when you've been slowly losing the will to live in a long queue, it kind of rankles when someone casually stroles up to the front and blatently proffers their mate with dosh to order an extra thirty quid's worth of bacon butties for his crowd. That's the kind of oafish behaviour you see from a moron at a pop concert, not Old Warden. Anyway rant over, I as ever with this place still enjoyed my day.

Sounds more like some of the owners of the vintage race cars and bikes than members of the SVAS to me, it's nice to think of the members as being stuck in the mold of Alan Whicker on his travels but sadly not the case with the individuals I know. I'll pass it on to the committee but two things bother me with this post: if it upset you so much why didn't you say anything to them at the time and why wait nearly a month before raising your concerns to this forum?
Glad it didn't sour your enjoyment of the event

Regards

Steve
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS