RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
bobby 1211

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by bobby 1211 »

one thing i still dont understand is the change DBH did for the Saturday flying display. When the PC-9M was cancelled it was normal for either the tucano or tutor to replace it. But with the Italian typhoon... It was due to display Sat and Sun but ended up being on the flying schedule on Fri and Sun without any update? I really wanted to see the F-2000 this year as last year our coach left just as it was taking off. Only positive I see is that it got replaced with the T-346A which put on a good display anyway. I hope I will finally see it display next year.

pete310183

Post by pete310183 »

Go4Long wrote:
Andyperkins wrote:
It might have only been listed as a flypast in the official program but I think people were expecting a bit more due to this Twitter post from the Assistant Chief of the RAF...

Great that ⁦@RoyalNavy⁩ ⁦@RoyalAirForce⁩ F35 will be ⁦@RNASYeovilton⁩ next week then ⁦@airtattoo⁩ the week after, especially as we’re all working so hard to get #CombatReady
Now, as well as a fly through, anyone want to see a bit more at Fairford?

but in the end it wasn't even on par with its appearance at Yeovilton.

Just a rumour, so take it with a grain of salt, but I heard he was burned in the hold and basically told ATC that he was fuel critical and he either came in and did what he could do now or he would be returning to base.

Pilot did indeed confirm he was happy to hold however it would be at the expense of the hover due to fuel.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

In regards to the non 2nd Sunday flypast. The PdF confirmed very late in the run up to the show. Do you think the Saturday flypast of the Reds and PdF in Concorde formation was actually being planned for Sunday morning before the PdF left Fairford for the French show they were due to attend? And that's why the PdF confirmation came so late despite their schedule being out for months before the announcement. It fell through on the Sunday, so we got a 3rd flypast on the Saturday while the PdF were down to display?

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

No. The flypast was originally planned for the Friday, but was scrubbed due to weather.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

They acknowledge the washout Friday and offer £5 off next years Friday display, its something but no way will I be booking tickets in advance anymore no matter the discount.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Andyperkins wrote:They acknowledge the washout Friday and offer £5 off next years Friday display, its something but no way will I be booking tickets in advance anymore no matter the discount.

Washout or not, charging full price for Friday's show was always ridiculous.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Andyperkins wrote:They acknowledge the washout Friday and offer £5 off next years Friday display, its something but no way will I be booking tickets in advance anymore no matter the discount.

In order to say sorry for the overpriced Friday this year, why not buy our overpriced 2020 Friday tickets and get £5 off...

Weather aside, was the 4 hour Friday display really worth £5 less than the 8 hour Saturday display? I think not. If they originally sold Friday tickets for £10 less than Saturday and Sunday, then I could almost forgive them, but paying £5 less for 4 hours less flying is not enough. Try again DBH.

And I don’t count the ‘£10 off our merchandise discount’ as money off. That’s just another marketing ply for you to buy more of their merchandise.

ikarus

Post by ikarus »

Just had the email about £5 off for Friday 2020 tickets due to this years issues , not enough incentive that to be honest...... :sad:

Fill up the under used pit areas with the active far side aircraft and I'll be happy ........

I'll hang fire booking next year until I know it has some definite rare/interesting types attending , that's what you want as an enthusiast , joe public just wants to see something exciting flying .
Last edited by ikarus on Fri 26 Jul 2019, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

ikarus wrote:I'll hang fire booking next year until I know it has some definite rare/interesting types attending , that what you want as an enthusiast , joe public just wants to see something exciting flying .

i feel the same. im really debating whether or not i want to go next year. something about this year just left me kinda cold

JJC

Post by JJC »

rockfordstone wrote:
ikarus wrote:I'll hang fire booking next year until I know it has some definite rare/interesting types attending , that what you want as an enthusiast , joe public just wants to see something exciting flying .

i feel the same. I'm really debating whether or not i want to go next year. something about this year just left me kinda cold

Agreed entirely. I didn’t leave with that ‘buzz’ and now, a week on, I haven’t got the same desire to start planning next year as I normally have.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

ikarus

Post by ikarus »

JJC and Rockford , I have the same feeling. End of the week , only used one memory card for photos at RIAT and that's only at below 25% capacity of the card.

Not buzzing this year post event and to be honest the number of photo threads in the airshow section of this forum on the event seems to be well down on quantity this year - that also indicates something in my opinion :sad:

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

mark_aviation wrote:

In order to say sorry for the overpriced Friday this year, why not buy our overpriced 2020 Friday tickets and get £5 off...

Weather aside, was the 4 hour Friday display really worth £5 less than the 8 hour Saturday display? I think not. If they originally sold Friday tickets for £10 less than Saturday and Sunday, then I could almost forgive them, but paying £5 less for 4 hours less flying is not enough. Try again DBH.

And I don’t count the ‘£10 off our merchandise discount’ as money off. That’s just another marketing ply for you to buy more of their merchandise.

I think even they realised it wasn’t long enough hence the increase to a 5 hour display but charging full price was definitely a strange call.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

ikarus wrote:Not buzzing this year post event and to be honest the number of photo threads in the airshow section of this forum on the event seems to be well down on quantity this year - that also indicates something in my opinion :sad:

Much like the Milscanners newsgroup -- usually for RIAT it goes totally Bursar for the arrivals days, with hundreds of posts per day.....this year there were less than 200 ( I think it was actually less than 150 ) for the whole week.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

ikarus wrote:the number of photo threads in the airshow section of this forum on the event seems to be well down on quantity this year

Blame Flickr for that
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

bobby 1211 wrote:one thing i still dont understand is the change DBH did for the Saturday flying display. When the PC-9M was cancelled it was normal for either the tucano or tutor to replace it. But with the Italian typhoon... It was due to display Sat and Sun but ended up being on the flying schedule on Fri and Sun without any update? I really wanted to see the F-2000 this year as last year our coach left just as it was taking off. Only positive I see is that it got replaced with the T-346A which put on a good display anyway. I hope I will finally see it display next year.

Can someone reply to this? Did it go tech or did they make a last minute change?

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

You wouldve thought they would at looking going back to the much reduced price for Friday. Ok, the weather was poor, so maybe some didnt buy last minute tickets, but I couldnt believe how dead it was. I hoped that that would make the organisers realise people just wont buy tickets at that price. And £5 off wont make any difference.
Its a shame because the Friday should be more about attracting families and kids. Free for u18s is great , but how about some sort of family ticket to include older kids ? Say if standard tickets were £40 , then maybe have a family ticket for 4 people at say £120 ?

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Mr Benn wrote:You wouldve thought they would at looking going back to the much reduced price for Friday. Ok, the weather was poor, so maybe some didnt buy last minute tickets, but I couldnt believe how dead it was. I hoped that that would make the organisers realise people just wont buy tickets at that price. And £5 off wont make any difference.
Its a shame because the Friday should be more about attracting families and kids. Free for u18s is great , but how about some sort of family ticket to include older kids ? Say if standard tickets were £40 , then maybe have a family ticket for 4 people at say £120 ?

I have a feeling a lot that had bought tickets didn’t attend due to the weather, even I almost bailed.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

"Its a shame because the Friday should be more about attracting families and kids. "

If anyone can show me another big weekday event run in term time aimed at "families and kids", I would be interested.

When they initially took the decison to run a Friday show, surely , the conversation would be about "who is the audience?". If you don't have a clear idea of who your target audience is going to be, then its always going to be a struggle. "Kids! Bunk off school and come to RIAT for free" is not the best strapline I have ever seen.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

pbeardmore wrote:"Its a shame because the Friday should be more about attracting families and kids. "

If anyone can show me another big weekday event run in term time aimed at "families and kids", I would be interested.

It’s hardly unique. Many festivals are very family friendly, including Latitude and Glastonbury and start on a Friday just like RIAT. And I’m sure RIAT attracts organised trips for kids, who aren’t necessarily ‘bunking off’.

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

pbeardmore wrote:Kids! Bunk off school and come to RIAT for free" is not the best strapline I have ever seen.

Ha ha very true PB although I bet the kids themselves (and speaking from my own experience) wouldn't mind so much!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Sabrina wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:Kids! Bunk off school and come to RIAT for free" is not the best strapline I have ever seen.

Ha ha very true PB although I bet the kids themselves (and speaking from my own experience) wouldn't mind so much!

As was pointed out earlier in the discussion, it could be marketed at schools more, rather than families. I'd certainly take a class along given the chance (I've taken a small group in the past, before Friday was a show day, and it was great).

Brevet made the quite right point that there's not a great deal of what you might call 'real' learning going on that close to the end of term, but you still can't pitch something to families that would result in unauthorised absence from school, however late in the year it is.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

As pointed out in the other thread. Friday is already open to School visits.

I don’t know the figure for 2019 however 2018 saw 5,000 visit.

CJS

Post by CJS »

boff180 wrote:As pointed out in the other thread. Friday is already open to School visits.

I don’t know the figure for 2019 however 2018 saw 5,000 visit.

If I was them I'd send something to every school within 50 miles of Fairford then, because it's a missed opportunity. I've never worked more than an hour from the base but I had no idea you could take school groups on the Friday (when I did it was a one off thing in response to something RAFAT related).

davesurrey

Post by davesurrey »

Just looked at the current RIAT website and cant see any mention of the £5 off next years ticket.
Having spent £190 this year on 2x Friday tickets plus rear of the Viewing Village Grandstand plus credit card rip off tax...and then didn't attend...I'd like to see if I can reduce my spend for next year. :sad:

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

davesurrey wrote:Just looked at the current RIAT website and cant see any mention of the £5 off next years ticket.
Having spent £190 this year on 2x Friday tickets plus rear of the Viewing Village Grandstand plus credit card rip off tax...and then didn't attend...I'd like to see if I can reduce my spend for next year. :sad:

You could do by attending Totterdown P&V!