Oceana air show

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
lambo17841

Oceana air show

Post by lambo17841 »

Should go in the airshow section I know but worth seeing comments here.
Read the photo guidelines at the bottom.

https://www.oceanaairshow.com/

John in Seaford

boff180
UKAR Staff

Oceana 2018

Post by boff180 »

If you are planning to attend this show please take note.

Unless you are press or joining the free "Jet Fans" package, you will be limited to a small/medium camera shoulder bag and a maximum lens focal length of 200mm - anything else will be refused entry.

Otherwise, your bag must fit in the X-Ray machine.

Andy

wezgulf3

Re: Oceana air show

Post by wezgulf3 »

lambo17841 wrote:Should go in the airshow section I know but worth seeing comments here.
Read the photo guidelines at the bottom.

https://www.oceanaairshow.com/

John in Seaford

The only thing I can see is in the FAQ’s, which say only photo limitation is for no photography inside hangars.

Wes...

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

wezgulf3 wrote:
The only thing I can see is in the FAQ’s, which say only photo limitation is for no photography inside hangars.

See:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UKAirshowReview/status/1024597857557458945[/tweet]

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Edit: Beaten to it by Tommy... :smile:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

wezgulf3

Post by wezgulf3 »

Think they had similar restrictions last year, pretty sad really.

Wes...

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

wezgulf3 wrote:Think they had similar restrictions last year, pretty sad really.

Wes...

They didn`t seem to know what they we doing last year, i did Saturday am with small lens for static only and had no issues nor did i see any restrictions and went back Sunday with a 100-400 for flying and got in without issue, I was aware of people being refused access with long lens though
seems different gates were working to different rules which were changing daily

wezgulf3

Post by wezgulf3 »

NTG1610 wrote:
wezgulf3 wrote:Think they had similar restrictions last year, pretty sad really.

Wes...

They didn`t seem to know what they we doing last year, i did Saturday am with small lens for static only and had no issues nor did i see any restrictions and went back Sunday with a 100-400 for flying and got in without issue, I was aware of people being refused access with long lens though
seems different gates were working to different rules which were changing daily

Had heard some stories about larger lenses get knocked back at the entrance, let’s just hope it is just Oceana that’s gas this rule.

Wes...

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Those rules seem a bit bizarre

CJS

Post by CJS »

What's the point, other than to make money (I presume the jet passes are not free)? Do they even try to pretend it's for some other reason?
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Doesn't say they are any extra anywhere I can see, nor is there any "Jet Fan Pass" ticketing option.

Any people going to this airshow will need to pay heed to the deadline of 31st August to send in your registration forms:

JET FANS may register by email or letter. To be granted access to the practice show on
Friday, September 21st. Registration forms must be received NO LATER THAN AUGUST
31, 2018

When sending in your registration form, please include a portrait photo of yourself against a plain
background. Your registration will then be processed, and you will be informed if you are
eligible for credentials.

One registration form per person. Please, print so that it is readable. Registrants will be
notified by email and email only, about credentials. Registrants who are ineligible for
media credentials will also be notified by email.

All JET FAN PASS recipients will be able to bring large camera bags into the Air Show
during admission times. Your camera bags and any other equipment will be searched upon entry.
There will be no parking passes issued with these credentials. The available media
parking spots will be reserved for local and national television and newspaper media only.
This request does not grant you media credentials.

To receive your JET FAN PASS and credentials, you must come in person Friday, September 21st
between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. to the pass and ID building located in front of and to the right of
the NAS Oceana main gate, across from the Navy Exchange (NEX).

Sounds like a security thing rather than a money thing.

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

Tommy wrote:Doesn't say they are any extra anywhere I can see, nor is there any "Jet Fan Pass" ticketing option.

Any people going to this airshow will need to pay heed to the deadline of 31st August to send in your registration forms:

200mm seems arbitrary, as there are 300mm zooms that are well smaller than e.g. 70-200mm f2.8's. If it is actually about security, then if it fits in belt pouch then what's the problem (as medium shoulder bags are ok)? They might be wanting to limit numbers (or at least know numbers in advance) of items to x-ray.

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

Tommy wrote:Doesn't say they are any extra anywhere I can see, nor is there any "Jet Fan Pass" ticketing option.

JET FANS may register by email or letter. To be granted access to the practice show on
Friday, September 21st. Registration forms must be received NO LATER THAN AUGUST
31, 2018

When sending in your registration form, please include a portrait photo of yourself against a plain
background. Your registration will then be processed, and you will be informed if you are
eligible for credentials.

One registration form per person. Please, print so that it is readable. Registrants will be
notified by email and email only, about credentials. Registrants who are ineligible for
media credentials will also be notified by email.

All JET FAN PASS recipients will be able to bring large camera bags into the Air Show
during admission times. Your camera bags and any other equipment will be searched upon entry.
There will be no parking passes issued with these credentials. The available media
parking spots will be reserved for local and national television and newspaper media only.
This request does not grant you media credentials.

To receive your JET FAN PASS and credentials, you must come in person Friday, September 21st
between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. to the pass and ID building located in front of and to the right of
the NAS Oceana main gate, across from the Navy Exchange (NEX).

and you have to collect

" you must come in person Friday, September 21st"

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

ErrolC wrote:

200mm seems arbitrary, as there are 300mm zooms that are well smaller than e.g. 70-200mm f2.8's. If it is actually about security, then if it fits in belt pouch then what's the problem (as medium shoulder bags are ok)? They might be wanting to limit numbers (or at least know numbers in advance) of items to x-ray.

It is very strange because if you are press or pick up the jet fan option there are no restrictions on what size lens you can bring in

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

NTG1610 wrote:
ErrolC wrote:

It is very strange because if you are press or pick up the jet fan option there are no restrictions on what size lens you can bring in

Did you read the form? You give them your ID well in advance (e.g. passport and visa no), so they can check you against the 'terrorist' list etc. Apparently they aren't confident they can hide everything in a hangar beyond the reach of say a 300mm with a 1.4x?