Best Corgi Aircraft Model?

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
Victor 23

Best Corgi Aircraft Model?

Post by Victor 23 »

iEvening All

What's the best Corgi aircraft model ever made, i think the Victor, why because i have flown in one!!

keithjs

Re: Best Corgi Aircraft Model?

Post by keithjs »

Blimey..you must be really small :heyhey:
...Rad shutters auto.

Victor 23

Post by Victor 23 »

Is anyone out there!!

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

I have a limited edition numbered B-17 Sally B, my one is number 1975, the year she arrived in the UK.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

Amp

Post by Amp »

Loved the comment Keith !
The best Corgi models are the 1950/60s airliners, the VC-10, Strat, Comets etc.

AMB

Post by AMB »

The BOAC VC-10 - because that and the airliners range were initiated and researched by me! :cool:
Adrian

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

It seems like most posters this far are into 1/144, I find the detail inevitably poorer than a larger scale. At work I have the 1/32 Sea Hurricane and Finnish front BF109 (I like to imagine the pair meeting over Petsamo or Kirkenes, even though the Hurris were covering the fleet)
I have over 50 1/72 corgi diecasts, I have to say that their insistence on glossy finishes is kinda annoying, that said, I love their 809 Bucc, it’s a great model. Tsr2 is nice, and the Vulcan is great in this scale, really impressive.
But personally my fave is the Sharkey Ward Harrier, or the Jungly seaking.
I think Hobbymaster is the best overall manufacturer, Witty wings, Sky Guardians, Gemini Aces, Century wings, Aviation72 and others can occasionally put out a cracker.

If anyone has a 800 801 or 809 Hobbymaster SHAR FA2 they’d part with hit me up
IG profile "jakesplanes"

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

As an aircraft modeller I get my enjoyment from building, painting and decaling the kit having researched colour schemes. Personally I have never seen the point in paying substantial amounts of money for a lump of metal which my wife would call a dust collector (you should hear her plans for my model collection :sad: ).

And before somebody makes the point about not having the skills to make a kit into a decent model, I'm still working on it afet 50+ years.

However, each to their own and it's your money.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

iainpeden wrote:As an aircraft modeller I get my enjoyment from building, painting and decaling the kit having researched colour schemes. Personally I have never seen the point in paying substantial amounts of money for a lump of metal which my wife would call a dust collector (you should hear her plans for my model collection :sad: ).

And before somebody makes the point about not having the skills to make a kit into a decent model, I'm still working on it afet 50+ years.

However, each to their own and it's your money.

I respect that Ian, and I’m sure that the sense of satisfaction you get from completing a model is really great. I’m a tight git so I rarely spend more than £30 on a model, which is probably cheaper than the plastic kit+paints etc, and probably twenty times cheaper if you factor in time.
At the end I’d have a rubbish model!
It really is a different hobby, but with a shared love of aircraft.
My model collection gives me a lot of pleasure, and rotating the planes to fit the small space I am allowed keeps it fresh! :smile:
IG profile "jakesplanes"

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

I have around 71 models, in 3 different display cases. Love my A10, Yellow Sea King, Harrier GR3 is a looker, and the Lightnings look great.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Victor 23

Post by Victor 23 »

I've got about 25 aircraft corgi models, all of which are of good standard Buccaneer, Lightning, Nimrod, Victor, Vulcan etc. I wish they did light aircraft.

ikarus

Post by ikarus »

I have a large number of Corgi Aviation Archive diecasts - all in the boxes probably 75 + , I particularly like the Buccaneers , Lightnings , Tornado , Sunderland Wessex , all the civvies etc to name a few.

Also a number of Hobbymaster and Centurywings.

Sadly the prices of diecast aircraft models have escalated that much and to some eye watering ridiculous prices , I'd rather spend the money on flying hours using my NPPL these days. :confused:

Craig

Post by Craig »

I've got a collection of around 300 models, mostly Corgi military and British or German but with a decent sized collection of 1:200 scale airliners which really are beautiful models. As for favourites it's almost impossible to pin down. I love my Swordfish and the 1:48 Lightning is a spectacular looking model. My 31 sqn Tornado and 1435 flt F3 are highlights of my 1:72 jet collection. In 1:200 you can't go wrong with any of Gemimi's Virgin Atlantic models the metallic red really is very impressive.

AMB

Post by AMB »

Jakesplanes wrote:It seems like most posters this far are into 1/144, I find the detail inevitably poorer than a larger scale. At work I have the 1/32 Sea Hurricane and Finnish front BF109 (I like to imagine the pair meeting over Petsamo or Kirkenes, even though the Hurris were covering the fleet)

1/144th scale was started by Airfix as half of 1/72nd for large models that were impractical to produce kits of in 1/72nd scale. Corgi followed this trend so collectors that were not skilled model makers could add to their kit-built model collection.

Other diecast manufacturers, mainly producing airliners, make them in 1/200 scale which is ideal for large or small aircraft types. However if you want a comprehensive collection, you will soon run out of space and I now have a huge collection of diecast and military aircraft in........1/400th scale. You would be amazed at the quality and detail without taking up too much room.
Adrian

Victor 23

Post by Victor 23 »

Have looked online to see if corgi did light aircraft, like the Cessna 152 etc but could not find anything.

effects

Post by effects »

Victor 23 wrote:Have looked online to see if corgi did light aircraft, like the Cessna 152 etc but could not find anything.

Have a look here,
http://www.geminijets.com/database/inde ... product=10
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

I have well over 200 die-cast models, mostly Armour Collection 1:48th scale, but also quite a lot of Amercom 1:72nd scale helicopters, and a few Corgi and other makes.

I have the set of the Corgi 1:72nd 'Black Hawk Down' Limited Collectors models which are very nice indeed. I am looking into getting the new Lightning model soon hopefully.

I'd much rather spend my hard earned on models that are well made and have not been 'botched-built' by yours truly. I don't have the time or inclination to spend on building plastic Airfix kits, I leave that to far more talented individuals, but will happily purchase any decent die-cast models that I like.

I love helicopters, so have a shed load of them at home, and my wife (before I met her) had a huge stash of diecast models, so it is great to share our collections together :-)
Last edited by Airwolfhound on Mon 20 Aug 2018, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

I just collect the Lightning and have done so since day 1, The Latest 1/48 job is pretty awesome to hold but by god I think twice about buying a second one given the price. I should start to make the Airfix ones I have instead!
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.