Duxford Shows: 2019

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Abbo46

Duxford Shows: 2019

Post by Abbo46 »

Not dates as of yet but, interesting to note next year is being branded as the venues 'biggest airshow season yet' on the IWM website.

Hoping they've dropped the 'Air Festival' theme.

keithjs

Re: Duxford Shows: 2019

Post by keithjs »

Probably got something to do with the Daks over Normandy event in June?
...Rad shutters auto.

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Could be onto something there. Wouldn't be surprised if the theme for the May show was somehow related.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm really not sure what people are expecting from the Daks 'event'. It's not an airshow, and I wouldn't expect much, if any, flying. There will be a bunch of aeroplanes parked up, doing post-deployment maintenance after their transatlantic flights. The main event, and the parachute drops, will inevitably be in Normandy.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Mike wrote:I'm really not sure what people are expecting from the Daks 'event'. It's not an airshow, and I wouldn't expect much, if any, flying. There will be a bunch of aeroplanes parked up, doing post-deployment maintenance after their transatlantic flights. The main event, and the parachute drops, will inevitably be in Normandy.

The chap at Cosby today, maning the Daks over Normandy stand, was saying there will be event tickets for Duxford, available around February. The possibility of paid flights was under discussion with the CAA.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Mike wrote:I'm really not sure what people are expecting from the Daks 'event'. It's not an airshow, and I wouldn't expect much, if any, flying. There will be a bunch of aeroplanes parked up, doing post-deployment maintenance after their transatlantic flights. The main event, and the parachute drops, will inevitably be in Normandy.

On their website it says there will be some displays and possibly some pleasure flights. The Sunday they are arriving and the Wednesday they should be departing so there should be plenty of flying

Mike

Post by Mike »

An interesting proposition. What they are suggesting (an all-ticket, advance sales only event, with Flying displays and parachute drops) must be costing an absolute fortune to set up, with CAA permissions, insurance, closure of Duxford to casual visitors, etc. Either that, or what they are actually offering turns out to be something slightly different from that listed on their website.

Perhaps they should rename it 'Dakotas over Cambridggeshire'

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Well they are gathering to go to Normandy together so probably not

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

No airshow season is ever going to be branded "About as good as last year" it's always going to be branded bigger and better.

I wouldn't expect too much of a change.

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

As some expected, no change. Same themes as the past two years.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Duxford show dates for 2019:

Duxford Air Festival 2019
Saturday and Sunday 25-26 May 2019

Flying Legends 2019
Saturday and Sunday 13-14 July 2019

Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show 2019
Saturday and Sunday 21-22 September 2019

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Very tempted to do the Air Festival in May. Flying Legends is just too close to RIAT.

What is the grandstand like? Worth doing and does it have private toilets etc?

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

jasonT1981 wrote:Very tempted to do the Air Festival in May. Flying Legends is just too close to RIAT.

What is the grandstand like? Worth doing and does it have private toilets etc?

They do have private toilets.

Personally, they don't provide the best spot to stand the airshow. For me, you either want to be at the Land Warfare Hall or, for a bit more space, the M-11 end of the display line. Being in the middle of the display, I don't think you get the best view.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

The Daks event will be my highlight of 2019, and first Duxford show in 10+ years. Love Daks and no airshow is needed. Hopefully a sensibly priced(£20) photo call type event with a flight line walk and some afternoon formation flying. Personally just want to be able to photograph each aircraft on the ground without clutter. Think we should get some more info in the new year?

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

farnboroughrob wrote:The Daks event will be my highlight of 2019, and first Duxford show in 10+ years. Love Daks and no airshow is needed. Hopefully a sensibly priced(£20) photo call type event with a flight line walk and some afternoon formation flying. Personally just want to be able to photograph each aircraft on the ground without clutter. Think we should get some more info in the new year?

I'm hoping for some flights, emailed them about it and they are hopeful. I don't think they will be from Duxford though.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens