MAKS 2019

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
Go4Long

Re: MAKS 2019

Post by Go4Long »

Wissam24 wrote:Why wouldn't you do the tourist stuff lol? It's amazing

True that. I’m loving the tourist stuff so far. And taxis, while mildly insane, are dirt cheap to get around the city. Basically the equivalent of $30 Canadian to get from my hotel to Zhukovsky (across the bank)

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Static is looking particularly good this year, MiG-31 and Su-47 Berkut!!!! :rock:

https://aviasalon.com/ru/participant/i-map

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

jalfrezi wrote:Static is looking particularly good this year, MiG-31 and Su-47 Berkut!!!! :rock:

As a question, other than I'm assuming the Mig 31 and SU-47 which I gather were both towed out from the hangars onsite, would it be safe to assume a lot of these aircfraft will depart again on Monday?

DealerNation

Post by DealerNation »

Go4Long wrote:
jalfrezi wrote:Static is looking particularly good this year, MiG-31 and Su-47 Berkut!!!! :rock:

As a question, other than I'm assuming the Mig 31 and SU-47 which I gather were both towed out from the hangars onsite, would it be safe to assume a lot of these aircfraft will depart again on Monday?

Weren't they toed out from a hanger? If they flew in I think there is a slight chance of seeing it flying out on Monday

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

DealerNation wrote:
Go4Long wrote:

Weren't they toed out from a hangar? If they flew in I think there is a slight chance of seeing it flying out on Monday

Yes, i was saying other than the stuff towed from a hangar. Apparently once you see it up close the SU-47 is very much not in flying condition. Still awesome that they dragged it out. Basically the equivalent of Nellis towing out an F-117, if not rarer since there’s only one su-47 in existence.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

The SU-30SM pairs display has to be one of the best pairs displays ever. I can’t get over it.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Go4Long wrote:The SU-30SM pairs display has to be one of the best pairs displays ever. I can’t get over it.

This. I waxed lyrical about the Su-35 two years ago and rightly so, but if anything the Su-30 pairs demo this year is even better. The synchronised tailslide, with the two aircraft only feet apart, is quite, quite deranged.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Skyflash wrote:
Go4Long wrote:The SU-30SM pairs display has to be one of the best pairs displays ever. I can’t get over it.

This. I waxed lyrical about the Su-35 two years ago and rightly so, but if anything the Su-30 pairs demo this year is even better. The synchronised tailslide, with the two aircraft only feet apart, is quite, quite deranged.

On the Wednesday they didn’t tail slide, they went over backwards instead, and then did the flat spins right side by side. Not sure why it got changed, but i was in absolute awe.

DealerNation

Post by DealerNation »

Thank you all for the information for MAKS 2019. If I haven't encountered this forum, I would've not made it.

Thanks to you all, I had wonderful trip. Thank you!

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

I have a long shot...but my wife shrunk the snot out of my white SU-30 shirt with the pilot with the reflective visor...

Does anyone have any idea where one might try to purchase one now that the show is over?

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

To be honest you have probably just come from the best place to buy a new wife! :whistle:
(maybe she could bring a tee-shirt with her? :wink: )

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Oh my. lol

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

I disagree that it wasn't a great airshow...other than that nice write up. Was it something that you would expect at Air Tattoo or any of the other big shows in Europe? No. Was it incredible for an airshow put on essentially entirely by one nation (with the exception of the Baltic Bees and Airbus)? definitely.

I do agree that the organization was...lacking. Especially as it related to the media platform.

And I agree that the SU-30SM pair has to be without a doubt the best thing to happen to airshows this year...it seems like MAKS has done this at its last two runnings now, with the SU-35 in 2017 and the SU-30 pair this year.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Go4Long wrote:I disagree that it wasn't a great airshow...other than that nice write up. Was it something that you would expect at Air Tattoo or any of the other big shows in Europe? No. Was it incredible for an airshow put on essentially entirely by one nation (with the exception of the Baltic Bees and Airbus)? definitely.

I'm going to disagree with your disagreement. :lol: I don't think it was a great airshow, sure if you've never been before then it will all be new, but once you've been a few times there's not a huge amount of variety, I mean they were putting some acts up twice (OK, the Su-30s were amazing) and certain quality items didn't display on the weekend such as the military attack helicopters and the 4 ship Su-57 flypast, which was a disappointment.

Also, the review is written from the perspective of being in the showground for the display and therefore looking into the sun all day and the crowdline being behind a 7ft fence, UK and US airshow don't use fencing like that as it's unnecessary, especially when in addition you have troops at 10m intervals.

There are other gripes too, such as a lack of onsite parking, almost identical static to 2017, etc.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

My view might be slightly skewed by the fact that it was my first time. We’ll see how I feel after 2021.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

jalfrezi wrote:
Go4Long wrote:I disagree that it wasn't a great airshow...other than that nice write up. Was it something that you would expect at Air Tattoo or any of the other big shows in Europe? No. Was it incredible for an airshow put on essentially entirely by one nation (with the exception of the Baltic Bees and Airbus)? definitely.

I'm going to disagree with your disagreement. :lol: I don't think it was a great airshow, sure if you've never been before then it will all be new, but once you've been a few times there's not a huge amount of variety, I mean they were putting some acts up twice (OK, the Su-30s were amazing) and certain quality items didn't display on the weekend such as the military attack helicopters and the 4 ship Su-57 flypast, which was a disappointment.

Also, the review is written from the perspective of being in the showground for the display and therefore looking into the sun all day and the crowdline being behind a 7ft fence, UK and US airshow don't use fencing like that as it's unnecessary, especially when in addition you have troops at 10m intervals.

There are other gripes too, such as a lack of onsite parking, almost identical static to 2017, etc.

I agree with much of this, and said as much privately at the time.

The main issue for me was the 'samey-ness' to the 2017 show. Then, I was like a kid in a sweet-shop. This year, I was still enthused to see all that yummy Sukhoi goodness up close, but it had definitely lost a bit of the 'wow' factor and the fact that the static, barring one or two items, was all but identical didn't do much to dispel the notion.

The flying display was also nearly identical to 2017, again barring one or two items, although the Su-30 pair really were utterly bloody ridiculous, almost certainly the best airshow act I have ever watched.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Interestingly I wasn't aware how similar to 2017 it was either.

But even the first time I went in 2015 it was obvious that it wasn't a great "show"
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016