Midlands Air Festival 2019

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Rich.B

Re: Midlands Air Festival 2019

Post by Rich.B »

Road network is pretty poor in Nuneaton.
Would suggest not going the A444 way in from the M6.
Best option is enter via the back lanes from Bedworth or Coleshill.

Mul

Post by Mul »

Rich.B wrote:Airspace for this event is very close too Birminghams,
Will be intresting.

Spot on. Venue was terrible and a massive ‘step down’ from Ragley last year, in just about every conceivable way. Mass balloon ascent cancelled due to Winds - directing roughly towards Birmingham airspace. In addition - night glow was very poorly organised - getting underway at 10:20pm, with Balloons packing away during it. General consensus from people who were there was that it was quite expensive (£25 a head) but it felt like the organisation was similar to a village fete at times, with huge pauses (with no clarification why...) and general confusion.

As AdamWilliams put, despite prices being roughly similar, Cosford is a far superior show to this.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Yak 3 has had to withdraw. Looking forward to tomorrow though

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

Team Raven 3:45pm today.

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

Beech 18 just took off from Wellesbourne at 12:05pm.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Was anyone there today? What time did the flying end?

Rich.B

Post by Rich.B »

UKAirshowTour wrote:Was anyone there today? What time did the flying end?

The flying goes on until about 9pm.

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

The Catalina departed Wellesbourne at 2:35 and returned at 3:15pm, with small (max 5 person) tours from 4:15 until 5. The Wingwalkers flypast never happened.

G-RAZI was displaying over the Hall at 1:20pm.

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

How busy was it today?

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Was busier than it was at rageley last year easily. Some breaks in the flying and sign posting wasn’t great thankfully I’m fairly local so knew roughly where to go. Flying was nice though especially the mustang and sea fury.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Didn't make it today, but enjoyed Friday and Saturday. Inevitable disappointment about the balloons on Friday evening/Saturday morning, but as we all know the weather can ruin the best laid plans. And of course no such problems last year at Ragley, so that would be difficult to match for the balloonists. Highlight for me Mustang/Fury pair.

Just like last year there were periods when you had no idea what was happening next or when - they definitely need to work on this! There were certainly more people there this year, whether this is due to proximity to the larger Coventry/Nuneaton area I'm not sure. Overall I felt the venue wasn't as good - for spectators or participants - and I do gather (unofficially) that there is a booking in place at Ragley for 2020.

I realise the content won't be for everyone, and I understand the village fete comment, but having grown up visiting (often rural-based) shows with everything from Vulcans to crop sprayers I am glad to support the show and will be back next year.

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

The problem last year with Ragley Hall was the lack of advertising. It was almost as if they just wanted it kept low key , as a practice run.
The price of the tickets was also far too expensive. A show like that is mainly going to be families who woudlnt / couldnt afford, the bigger airshows.