Big jet TV YouTube channel

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Georgeconna

Re: Big jet TV YouTube channel

Post by Georgeconna »

GeeRam wrote:
Fri 18 Feb 2022, 2:32 pm
Watched it for about an hour out of curiosity, and just laughed at his 'commentary and comments'.........its like amateur hour on one of these reality TV shows :laughing: but, he made one comment which surprised me, in that he said he was ex-BA cabin crew at one point...........?

That really would surprise me, as you'd expect a little more professionalism from him if so? :open_mouth:
Ah here, It light magazine stuff, Not some boring fart droning on and on and on about tyre pressures and Wind loading . Google him now! You'll see his coverage is quite popular, possibly with spotters and ordinary people. My Daughter watched it for 2 hours today!!

"Starting with a few thousand viewers, it reached over 100,000 and eventually eclipsed the 200,000 mark. He's really found a home during the storm"

If it gets people interested in aircraft how bad.

The hate site must be fuming now but will no doubt watch the whole thing to poke fun at it.

Take a look at the Schipol Streaming now, Its like being at a funeral....
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

JohnH wrote:
Fri 18 Feb 2022, 1:43 pm
Hi All

Saw the big jet van in a field by Heathrow as I passed by this morning and thought I'd have a look when I arrived home. This is the first time I've seen this 'programme'. I have to say I had to shut it off after five minutes. The person's commentary is so unprofessional not to mention misinformed. Surely even as an amateur an effort should be made to set a certain standard and check facts before making comments. Especially if it is going out globally on the internet. This gives people the totally wrong idea about people within our hobby. It's a shame there's no way to control him and his output. I can't see me watching this again. All the other aviation sites I look at are much more professional (even for amateurs) and have a much higher standard.

Sorry for my moaning, but it was so bad I had to get this off my chest.
Tune into this borefest then but each to their own John. hhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsAfIt4VPbU
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

I don't think there is much 'supposedly' about it - there are videos on Twitter showing it happening.
I wasn't sure of my source when I made the post, hence my 'caution'!
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Georgeconna wrote:
Fri 18 Feb 2022, 2:52 pm
GeeRam wrote:
Watched it for about an hour out of curiosity, and just laughed at his 'commentary and comments'.........its like amateur hour on one of these reality TV shows :laughing: but, he made one comment which surprised me, in that he said he was ex-BA cabin crew at one point...........?

That really would surprise me, as you'd expect a little more professionalism from him if so? :open_mouth:
Ah here, It light magazine stuff, Not some boring fart droning on and on and on about tyre pressures and Wind loading . Google him now! You'll see his coverage is quite popular, possibly with spotters and ordinary people. My Daughter watched it for 2 hours today!!

"Starting with a few thousand viewers, it reached over 100,000 and eventually eclipsed the 200,000 mark. He's really found a home during the storm"

The hate site must be fuming now but will no doubt watch the whole thing to poke fun at it.

The hate group is absolutely fuming. Talk of reporting him to the Health & Safety Executive for … well, I don’t know what, and for mistaking an Air Aegean Airbus for a an Air Algiers Airbus. Oh, the humanity!
Ken

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

He needs a better wind shield for his microphone but other than that :thumbsup:

It's just a bit of entertainment not a technical lecture - if it's not your cup of tea then leave it to the 220k who seem to be enjoying it. It's 'gone viral' on Twitter so I doubt he'll be going away anytime soon.

I had a look at the Schipol Streaming site - yup - 'funeral'.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

JohnH wrote:
Fri 18 Feb 2022, 1:43 pm
This gives people the totally wrong idea about people within our hobby. It's a shame there's no way to control him and his output.
So what idea should he being trying to give about people within our hobby? That they're a bunch of elitist pedants that get upset when 'joe public' dares stray into their world? Oh wait we've got that covered already...

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

He's proper famous now.
Britain is gripped by Jerry the VERY enthusiastic planespotter's 'Big Jet TV' live feed of tilting planes struggling to land at Heathrow during 122mph Storm Eunice
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... elled.html
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Ken Shabby wrote:
Fri 18 Feb 2022, 2:58 pm
Georgeconna wrote:
Fri 18 Feb 2022, 2:52 pm
GeeRam wrote:

The hate group is absolutely fuming. Talk of reporting him to the Health & Safety Executive for … well, I don’t know what, and for mistaking an Air Aegean Airbus for a an Air Algiers Airbus. Oh, the humanity!
Oh dear :rofl:

As said above, its a bit of amateur hour 'light entertainment' - hardly to be taken seriously.

It all sounds a bit 'nerdy, anoraks at dawn' to me from this 'hate group'.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i watched bits of it today, and whilst i can't stand it when he talks, fair play to him for going out in it today

that said, at times in his commentary could tell in his voice he was willing for some problems

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

He was reporting live from Heathrow on BBC R2 and he went on… loves the sound of his own voice and took up the majority of the live phone in air time, every time the BBC Presenter said right we will leave it there he would say something exciting to keep him on the line like ‘woahhhhh, omg look at this plane coming in…’
He is a good business man I give him thar, plugging his YouTube channel, membership etc
Lakes Lightning Collection

Mike

Post by Mike »

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Re the “misinformation” I will say this in Jerry’s (partial) defence - talking about stuff live, with no opportunity to proof-read or quickly Google terminology, is hard.

I know from the podcast that talking about stuff in conversation, this hobby can be so nuanced and complicated, that talking about it live is very difficult - let alone when the adrenaline is pumping, and there’s no script or prompt.

That’s not an excuse to not strive to be as accurate as possible, but the odd slip up here and there is inevitable.

The the rest of the buggering Staff team still won’t let me live down my “Swiss Chinook” comment. 😂

Good to see the hobby put on the map today.

Re the hate page - perhaps people should stop giving it oxygen. The only time I remember it exists is because people keep having a pop at it. If you dislike it as much as you portray yourselves to dislike it, just ignore it and let it die.

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

His commentary is not my cup of tea but clearly plenty of people enjoy his work. As for the hate page one only needs to look at some of those shouting the loudest on it. People who are no doubt wound up because Jerry is getting mainstream media coverage while the photos the haters are sticking on Instagram, with some insane idea a half decent shot of a Vulcan or the Reds will somehow lead them to a full time job in aviation photography or writing at best get a couple of likes from mates and family.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Personally I don't think much of him or his site, but at least he doesn't say he's broadcasting live from EGLL, and trot out a never ending litany of flight numbers, or icao codes when referring to aircraft.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

FlyingMachinesTV

Post by FlyingMachinesTV »

The haters aren't going to be happy, Jerry has achieved celebrity status today. "Going viral" is something that's often talked about, but rarely occurs - well he's gone properly viral today!

"Strictly Come Dancing" awaits

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

FlyingMachinesTV wrote:
Fri 18 Feb 2022, 8:18 pm
The haters aren't going to be happy, Jerry has achieved celebrity status today. "Going viral" is something that's often talked about, but rarely occurs - well he's gone properly viral today!

"Strictly Come Dancing" awaits
Or maybe I'm a Celeb Get me Out of Here :rofl:

But, yes, given the twitter posts posted by 'celebs' and shown on BBC page regarding today....fame and fortune await.

stonojnr

Post by stonojnr »

he did an 8hr live stream seemingly without a single comfort break, Id like to see some of the people criticising him, give that kind of thing a go and still sound as enthusiastic for what you are doing at the end of a day as you were at the beginning, when youve been standing out in a gale and getting rained on, tired, hungry, and you still hold off a tv crew wanting to interview you because you want to catch a 747 land.

I thought it was great, it was that classic youtube live stream style thats informal and abit like hanging out with your best mates watching stuff you all love together,just having a good time, more power to him.

aviation spotting doesnt have to be like some kind of Raymond Baxter Farnborough air show style broadcast, it can be just stuff like this.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 18 Feb 2022, 7:26 pm

Re the hate page - perhaps people should stop giving it oxygen. The only time I remember it exists is because people keep having a pop at it. If you dislike it as much as you portray yourselves to dislike it, just ignore it and let it die.
The hate page is simply a load of keyboard warriors piling-on and venting their hatred for reasons best known to themselves. I wouldn't bother so much but I dared disagree with the admins and got banned. I've ended up being called all sorts on the page and cannot reply. Numerous reports to FB have resulted in no action whatsoever so I can only conclude that FB are happy condoning bullying.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

A lot of people are saying "fair play to him for going out" in it, all I can say is it was counter to all the advice out there and seemed pretty stupid to me.

People enjoyed the livestream but I wonder how people would've reacted to his decision to livestream aircraft landing in these difficult conditions if there had been a genuine and destructive incident
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Brenden S

Post by Brenden S »

I came across this last night, watching it having a few beers. While things he said sometimes are not correct, we all started somewhere. Don't forget that not everyone knows as much as you do. It was good entertainment for what it was.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Wissam24 wrote:
Sat 19 Feb 2022, 12:27 am
…all I can say is it was counter to all the advice out there…
As is visiting North Korea

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Wissam24 wrote:
A lot of people are saying "fair play to him for going out" in it, all I can say is it was counter to all the advice out there and seemed pretty stupid to me.
Other streamers were also out in it to, and it's his living, so it would make sense for him business wise. Given the viewing figures and coverage he got, it would seem like good commercial sense.

Wissam24 wrote:
People enjoyed the livestream but I wonder how people would've reacted to his decision to livestream aircraft landing in these difficult conditions if there had been a genuine and destructive incident
He has a 20 second delay in the stream, so if there was a major incident you wouldn't get to see it on screen.

Not that I want to seem like I'm having a go at Planes TV, but the Shoreham crash appeared to be broadcast as it happened and the camera was only pulled away after you saw the huge fireball, so I think it's a bit unfair to point fingers.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I wasn’t aware that PlanesTV even did live streaming in 2015 for the Shoreham point, but that doesn’t vindicate BJTV on that point, it just means the concern is equally applied to other streamers. It’s just whataboutery.

Probably worth noting that there’s also a difference between (PlanesTV, BJTV or anyone else) going out and filming an airshow on a clement day, and someone deliberately going out in weather that any sensible airshow organiser would have cancelled on safety grounds, knowing that they’re likely going to get some unique footage. I think he had a boon in viewing figures during the storms last year, too.

There was a red warning in place, but as you say, it’s his living, so I don’t know. I’m not defending or attacking anyone, but the whataboutery in the post above seems a bit irrelevant.

The 20 second delay does vindicate him though - I certainly didn’t know that, but it puts me slightly at ease if, god forbid, anything did happen, it reduces the risk of loved ones seeing family members’ hurt or injury plastered all over social media before they were notified through the proper channels.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

FWIW, without criticism, his commentary isn’t for me. I find it jarring and a bit cringe at times. I don’t often get the chance to watch any of his stuff live because of work, but when I’m watching clips or anything, I just mute it - hardly a massive issue.

But that’s just my preference - I prefer little/no commentary with stuff like that, so the feeds criticised above as being “like a funeral” I actually prefer.

Daz/Aviation In Action or AirshowWorld I tend to prefer - he does more military stuff that I’m more into, and the style of stream I like better.

But ofc, that’s all personal taste.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

DerekF wrote:
Fri 18 Feb 2022, 9:33 pm
Tommy wrote:
Fri 18 Feb 2022, 7:26 pm

The hate page is simply a load of keyboard warriors piling-on and venting their hatred for reasons best known to themselves. I wouldn't bother so much but I dared disagree with the admins and got banned. I've ended up being called all sorts on the page and cannot reply. Numerous reports to FB have resulted in no action whatsoever so I can only conclude that FB are happy condoning bullying.
They sound ghoulish, it must be said.

Tbh, though, I’m contributing to it by calling it out (like people who moan at moaners), but if everyone stopped talking about it, it’ll die out, I reckon.