Big jet TV YouTube channel

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Big jet TV YouTube channel

Post by UKTopgun »

👍 Not asking anyone to like the guy, just think the hate and nasty comments can be unfair that's all.

googlehead

Post by googlehead »

UKTopgun wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020, 8:29 am
👍 Not asking anyone to like the guy, just think the hate and nasty comments can be unfair that's all.
Absolutely spot on! Unfortunately behind every successful person is a pack of haters, especially in small communities like this whereby someone breaks out and makes it very lucrative.

Imagine hating someone to a point whereby you spend your time creating hate groups, because they wrongly identified an aircraft! Best case scenario is these people have to return to work soon and the boredom to create campaigns like this die off, or they start to realize all they're doing is boosting the mans profile and ego.

I am not one to sit and watch 6 hours live streams, but seeing the covetous attitudes of some I want the guy to be as successful as he possibly can.

So please... keep this going :)

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Exactly!

The elitism and petty jealousies here and elsewhere are frankly embarrassing.
God forbid that a newcomer to the hobby comes here and posts something, a photo, a video etc, and makes a mistake. They would be dismissed and roundly criticised by some on this forum. To the point they never dare post again.

If new blood is to come to this hobby it will be precisely things like BJTV that bring them in.
Accessible and light hearted shows that don't talk down to people or class them as pea brained or whatever. I think we should applaud anyone who is genuinely celebrating this great hobby with passion. Not deride them. Anyway, said my piece!

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

UKTopgun wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020, 9:11 am
Exactly!

God forbid that a newcomer to the hobby comes here and posts something, a photo, a video etc, and makes a mistake. They would be dismissed and roundly criticised by some on this forum. To the point they never dare post again.

If new blood is to come to this hobby it will be precisely things like BJTV that bring them in.
Accessible and light hearted shows that don't talk down to people or class them as pea brained or whatever. I think we should applaud anyone who is genuinely celebrating this great hobby with passion. Not deride them. Anyway, said my piece!
I am sorry but who is jealous?
I think you have completely missed the mark of what is being discussed here.
What I personally am stating is BJTV isn't a newbie, he has created an empire growing year on year and still getting the basics wrong, but at the same time coming across as a professional experienced camera man/commentator and charging a lot. I understand it is free to watch but he still has his sheep following in herds paying a lot and they are also privileged with exclusive member only content.
I subscribe to a lot of YT channels myself and it does come down to personal preference but to say I am jealous, being nasty and if I am helping to boost his profile and ego... god help us all!

One last thing I have very polietly commented on one of his videos on youtube the other day (Virgin 747 farewell at Manchester) advising of a correction and guess what... I was blocked?
Last edited by chrisward123 on Mon 14 Sep 2020, 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lakes Lightning Collection

pako-2008

Post by pako-2008 »

I'd like to offer a different perspective on this, not in terms of being a stereotypical enthusiast as seems to be described in this thread but more from stepping back and looking at the bigger picture.

So to begin, I'm all for somebody engaging people to become interested in the hobby. His target audience is not of a hardened enthusiast and more geared towards an average Joe so to speak. He's found a niche gap which didn't exist previously and provided means of streaming live aircraft movements be it at an airport or an airbase. There is nothing wrong with this in principle and he is well within his rights to do such a thing, much like any other individual. There are other streamers out there such as AIA and Airliners Live who are newer to it compared to BJTV, hence their profile is of a lesser stature at this moment in time. The thing I will pick up on from previous comments is AIA and the other streamers are there to stream the aircraft, the stream is not about the individual. It's not a TV show so the whole dull presentation doesn't hold much merit to me, they are commentating on what is happening in front of them, not going all out to big up their own ego.

The wider issue when looking at the bigger picture is the trail of destruction Jerry leaves behind him to provide the service he does. It's that which I see as a massive detriment to the hobby and could possibly have a direct negative impact for everybody. His attitude is he will do as he wants without consideration for those around him or his location, when this is portrayed across his streams it gives those viewing the impression his actions are acceptable. If these people take an interest in the hobby and wish to get further involved, he is breeding bad habits to the new generation of enthusiast, this is the thing many people are overlooking.

Examples:
- Streaming from the WAVE during Cobra Warrior last year without the owners permission including entering with a vehicle over the permitted height to the enclosure. Hindsight result, he is not welcome back.
- Chopping down branches and bushes at Manchester Airport so he can be in a position that suits him.
- Streaming from Royal Richmond Park without undertaking due diligence to realise you need a permit to do so. Result, thrown out.
- Swearing, racist based jokes and general awful behaviour on his streams.
- Misinformation which might not seem bad (we all do it to a degree), but it's every time he fires up the camera. Misinformation leads to opinions and actions by others which could be a real issue in a situation heaven forbid he was ever present when an aircraft had a serious problem.
- Elitist attitude that when ever somebody opposes his opinion they get banned, abused, thrown off his streams. The example a few posts back about a hard line of criticism or soft, doesn't really matter as he or his behind the scenes admin delete anything negative.

Now none of the above is personal against Jerry (I'm not being critical of his delivery style), for many of us who have invested many hours and many hundreds/thousands of pounds into a hobby, you cannot argue that when someone comes along that jeopardises our ability to enjoy it, he will be met with huge reservations/objections. He is making profit and charging for a service, whether you agree or disagree with that due to the quality, its not wrong. Anybody has the ability to set up a venture and ultimately it comes down to the punter paying to make that choice. The ability to view previous streams to get a taste of what you're buying into is there so you can't shoot him down for that. Its no different to any tour operator charging for their services or Planes TV (not saying he is in that league) streaming at an airshow.

You may think my view of the bigger picture is off the mark here. But let me just point out a video that was put into the public domain has single handily changed the way the Loop is now used (without going down the route of debating it on what was right or wrong, its done now).

I think many will share the above outlook, but post emotionally which is why a lot of it comes across as a personal vendetta. The anti BJTV page started as a credible set up with many genuine areas of concern that could have shut Jerry down, or at least challenged him to operate correctly and professionally. However as time has gone on it's now picking up on every single mistake to a petty level, complaining to anyone and everyone to try and stop him, therefore I think it's now lost the traction it had to do positive things. As pointed out, it does come across very bitter and pathetic which is a shame as they were onto something good initially.
Cheers
Aaron

CJS

Post by CJS »

pako-2008 wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020, 9:26 am
Examples:
- Streaming from the WAVE during Cobra Warrior last year without the owners permission including entering with a vehicle over the permitted height to the enclosure. Hindsight result, he is not welcome back.
- Chopping down branches and bushes at Manchester Airport so he can be in a position that suits him.
- Streaming from Royal Richmond Park without undertaking due diligence to realise you need a permit to do so. Result, thrown out.
- Misinformation which might not seem bad (we all do it to a degree), but it's every time he fires up the camera. Misinformation leads to opinions and actions by others which could be a real issue in a situation heaven forbid he was ever present when an aircraft had a serious problem.
- Elitist attitude that when ever somebody opposes his opinion they get banned, abused, thrown off his streams. The example a few posts back about a hard line of criticism or soft, doesn't really matter as he or his behind the scenes admin delete anything negative.
This, this, this, this, this and this.

Good post pako (all of it, not just the bit I quoted). :up:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

googlehead

Post by googlehead »

pako-2008 wrote:
I'd like to offer a different perspective on this, not in terms of being a stereotypical enthusiast as seems to be described in this thread but more from stepping back and looking at the bigger picture.

So to begin, I'm all for somebody engaging people to become interested in the hobby. His target audience is not of a hardened enthusiast and more geared towards an average Joe so to speak. He's found a niche gap which didn't exist previously and provided means of streaming live aircraft movements be it at an airport or an airbase. There is nothing wrong with this in principle and he is well within his rights to do such a thing, much like any other individual. There are other streamers out there such as AIA and Airliners Live who are newer to it compared to BJTV, hence their profile is of a lesser stature at this moment in time. The thing I will pick up on from previous comments is AIA and the other streamers are there to stream the aircraft, the stream is not about the individual. It's not a TV show so the whole dull presentation doesn't hold much merit to me, they are commentating on what is happening in front of them, not going all out to big up their own ego.

The wider issue when looking at the bigger picture is the trail of destruction Jerry leaves behind him to provide the service he does. It's that which I see as a massive detriment to the hobby and could possibly have a direct negative impact for everybody. His attitude is he will do as he wants without consideration for those around him or his location, when this is portrayed across his streams it gives those viewing the impression his actions are acceptable. If these people take an interest in the hobby and wish to get further involved, he is breeding bad habits to the new generation of enthusiast, this is the thing many people are overlooking.

Examples:

Now none of the above is personal against Jerry (I'm not being critical of his delivery style), for many of us who have invested many hours and many hundreds/thousands of pounds into a hobby, you cannot argue that when someone comes along that jeopardises our ability to enjoy it, he will be met with huge reservations/objections. He is making profit and charging for a service, whether you agree or disagree with that due to the quality, its not wrong. Anybody has the ability to set up a venture and ultimately it comes down to the punter paying to make that choice. The ability to view previous streams to get a taste of what you're buying into is there so you can't shoot him down for that. Its no different to any tour operator charging for their services or Planes TV (not saying he is in that league) streaming at an airshow.

You may think my view of the bigger picture is off the mark here. But let me just point out a video that was put into the public domain has single handily changed the way the Loop is now used (without going down the route of debating it on what was right or wrong, its done now).

I think many will share the above outlook, but post emotionally which is why a lot of it comes across as a personal vendetta. The anti BJTV page started as a credible set up with many genuine areas of concern that could have shut Jerry down, or at least challenged him to operate correctly and professionally. However as time has gone on it's now picking up on every single mistake to a petty level, complaining to anyone and everyone to try and stop him, therefore I think it's now lost the traction it had to do positive things. As pointed out, it does come across very bitter and pathetic which is a shame as they were onto something good initially.
A very well rounded post IMO :thumbsup_tone2:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

pako-2008 wrote:

This is the most important part for me. It's irresponsible, he clearly has no consideration for other people in the hobby when he goes to these locations. He clearly thinks of himself above the rules or respect for where he is, and that does threaten the hobby for other people across the board.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

chrisward123 wrote:
UKTopgun wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020, 9:11 am
Exactly!

I am sorry but who is jealous?
I think you have completely missed the mark of what is being discussed here.
What I personally am stating is BJTV isn't a newbie, he has created an empire growing year on year and still gettings the basics wrong, but at the same time coming across as a professional experienced camera man/commentator and charging a lot. I understand it is free to watch but he still has his sleep following in herds paying a lot and they are also privileged with exclusive member only content.
I subscribe to a lot of YT channels myself and it does come down to personal preference but to say I am jealous, being nasty and if I am helping to boost his profile and ego... god help us all!

One last thing I have very polietly commented on one of his videos on youtube the other day (Virgin 747 farewell at Manchester) advising of a correction and guess what... I was blocked?
Sorry I don't recall saying you as an individual was jealous? It was a more general observation, this guy is a success and I think some of the hate might be down to jealousy, that's all.

Clearly many on here know much more than I do about Jerry, to the extent we have a list of grievances running very long! If all this is true then maybe the haters and the Facebook group owners are indeed right. I don't know enough background.

All I will say is all these poor people who pay him 5, 10 quid a month or whatever, well they are adults and they pay the money and take the choice.

If the long list of misdemeanours is true, and I can't comment on those, then it will not be the wider community brought into disrepute, it will be him. But I still believe he is raising the profile particularly of civil spotting, which was not exactly thriving in recent years.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

googlehead wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020, 9:49 am
pako-2008 wrote:

Examples:

A very well rounded post IMO :thumbsup_tone2:
I agree, a well reasoned post and no insults or hyperbole. 👍

googlehead

Post by googlehead »

Wissam24 wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020, 9:55 am
pako-2008 wrote:

This is the most important part for me. It's irresponsible, he clearly has no consideration for other people in the hobby when he goes to these locations. He clearly thinks of himself above the rules or respect for where he is, and that does threaten the hobby for other people across the board.
The list of which isn't definite and some of which is hear'say. From the instances I've seen he makes it clear that he has checked in with the police & authorities when required, and is very nice to all the people who approach him during his shows. Haven't witnessed one of those angry spotters with a pitchfork that they keep mentioning on that group? Without their keyboard in hand they probably got one of this stickers instead :sweat_smile:

Regarding blocking members who criticize.. I think you would find yourself getting fairly defensive when you have active hate campaigns picking up your every wrong word on a 6 hr live broadcast and trying to ruin your livelihood. Or am I being soft?

TBH as much as I enjoy a debate like this we are all p***ing into the wind as a big, mixed group like this community, are never going to enjoy the same style of presenting. Some are a lot hardcore than others. I personally find other live streams mind numbing, and I think gives the impression we are all a bunch of boring anoraks. Which we know isn't true... :rolling_eyes: wouldn't catch me actively hating or attempting to bring their business down though. Bloody good luck to them as there's an audience out there for them to make it work :thumbsup_tone2:

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Totally this 👏☝️

craigy

Post by craigy »

It's better than Coronation Street!

I'm watching it now, and I think it's great.

I'm sure he doesn't care what any of us on here think anyway!

CJS

Post by CJS »

craigy wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020, 1:27 pm

Not exactly setting the bar high there craigy :lol:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

craigy

Post by craigy »

CJS wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020, 2:03 pm
craigy wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020, 1:27 pm

Not exactly setting the bar high there craigy :lol:
Very true! :rofl:

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

He has some some nice enjoyable stuff from the Heath this week, an 8hr Marathon too. conveys the excitement of the place.

No doubt the pros on here will be cribbing....but don't forget to order you big Jet TV T shirt. Suits you sir.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

He went to Johns field the other week and he will not be welcome again as the field is not insured for private broadcasting. Also he was going around saying he was a key worker during lockdown, which he had no right to say he was.

Sorry I just do not like the guy, his commentary is rubbish and his comments can be crass, racist and unsympathetic.
Last edited by AndyXH558 on Mon 14 Sep 2020, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

BobL

Post by BobL »

I saw his recent 'broadcast' from Headcorn and his wobbly vision camera work and constant talking to 'someone' online just annoyed the hell out of me.

Maybe because he has a BJTV liveried van he thinks he can turn up anywhere and make his own rules...
Underneath my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

AndyXH558 wrote:
Mon 14 Sep 2020, 12:25 pm
He went to Johns field the other week and he will not be welcome again as the field is not insured for private broadcasting.
Fair enough. I take it that no other 'live' streamers will be using the field either?
AndyXH558 wrote:
Also he was going around saying he was a key worker during lockdown, which he had no right to say he was.
How do you know he has no right to say he was? Maybe he got an exemption to broadcast?
AndyXH558 wrote:
Sorry I just do not like the guy, his commentary is rubbish and his comments can be crass, racist and unsympathetic.
Luckily, there's plenty of other 'Youtubers' out there to watch. :thumbsup_tone2:

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

So, I just checked out that facebook 'BJTV hate' site again and Jesus H Christ what a bloody car crash that place really is! :see_no_evil:

I don't know who runs it, as they hide behind the site name but I'm sure they and most of them posting there must be about 10 years old! :rofl:
Seems they 'hate' BJTV, but still watch every second of his streams so they can pick holes in the slightest thing and then all have a jerk fest about it!

They're also pushing Aviation In Action pretty hard too as their 'preffered' streamer, but if I were AIA's owner, I'd want nothing to do with that lot of imbeciles and tell them to stop mentioning it! :rofl:

All that over a bloody Youtuber! :joy:

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

AiA has taken a good step today by reaching out to the usaf's pr officer at Lakenheath and they have given them permission to film around there, as long as they don't film people or vehicles, unlike bjtv who zoomed into a hangar at Fairford.

Bjtv is not and I repeat not a key worker. Broadcasting from an airport is not a part of the key worker remit.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

And here we go again with the insults of Gerry. Anyone bringing aviation to thousands of viewers is ok by me, and if you hate his content don't watch. He is a personality and as a broadcaster is head and shoulders above any other aviation channel streaming from airports and bases.
He makes the streams interesting for Joe Average, he makes it accessible.
As said before, people like to watch someone who comes across as not high brow but 'one of them'.

Granted, saying he was a key worker in lockdown was pushing it but I recall he was assigned by the Express to film PPE flights on at least one occasion. No idea if that was true but it's what he claimed.

Totally get that he is a marmite character but you can't deny his innovation within this hobby.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

UKTopgun wrote:
Tue 15 Sep 2020, 6:42 am
Granted, saying he was a key worker in lockdown was pushing it but I recall he was assigned by the Express to film PPE flights on at least one occasion. No idea if that was true but it's what he claimed.
There was a post on twitter iirc, where someone grassed him up to the police during lockdown saying he was filming, and he produced a letter from the company behind The Express saying he was classed as a journalist (key worker) filming the PPE flights for them. Considering he wasn't locked up or sent home and fined by the police, the permission must have been genuine (at least for those times he was filming for the media).
AndyXH558 wrote:
Mon 14 Sep 2020, 8:22 pm
AiA has taken a good step today by reaching out to the usaf's pr officer at Lakenheath and they have given them permission to film around there, as long as they don't film people or vehicles, unlike bjtv who zoomed into a hangar at Fairford.
Good for them, and even more reason for AiA to not want to be associated with the morons on the BJTV hate site then!
AndyXH558 wrote:
Mon 14 Sep 2020, 8:22 pm
Bjtv is not and I repeat not a key worker. Broadcasting from an airport is not a part of the key worker remit.
That's been covered, and like it or not he seems to have had permission for at least some lockdown filming.

I also see that the hate site got a bit upset over a collaboration between BJTV and Airliners Live to cover the departure and arrival of a Virgin 747 from Manchester to Heathrow. It worked very well, and showed that different Youtubers can work together for the benefit of viewers, but that didn't stop the idiots spitting out their dummies, such is their irrational hatred of Gerry Dyer!

I'd just like to clarify, (before some clown accuses me of being a BJTV 'sheep') that I've never met Gerry, I don't know him, nor have I ever paid to watch any of his content. However I've not seen anything yet for me to have such a negative view of what he does that I would act like the dim wits on the hate site and scrutinize and criticize every single piece of broadcasting he does.

They claim they want to stop him 'ripping people off'! Well who the hell are they to tell people how to spend their money, and if the punters are happy then what has it got to do with anyone else? If people aren't satisfied with the content they'll leave, it's really as simple as that. No need for some buffoons on a hate site to pretend to be looking out for people who might subscribe!

If BJTV is as bad as those dopes make out, then they should at least grow up a bit and produce a page that doesn't seem like it's run by 10 year olds from a school playground, and maybe then I might actually listen to what they say and the apparent 'concerns' they have with BJTV.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Honestly, why do you all care so much either way? If you like his stuff, watch it, if you don’t, don’t.

What on earth’s the point in arguing?

It’s quite exhausting reading both the haters and the happy-clappers.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 15 Sep 2020, 10:51 am
Honestly, why do you all care so much either way? If you like his stuff, watch it, if you don’t, don’t.
You could have said the same thing about the Vulcan, but that didn't stop there being multiple threads and hundreds of pages about it! No-one was being forced to give money to that either! :wink:
Tommy wrote:
What on earth’s the point in arguing?
I only see a discussion on an internet forum, which seems fairly amicable at the moment.
Tommy wrote:
It’s quite exhausting reading both the haters and the happy-clappers.
Well, you could just not enter the thread if it's so exhausting; it's not like there's loads you have to delete, and given how dead the forum is at the moment it's probably a good thing to have some debate going! :thinking: