Big jet TV YouTube channel

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
wezgulf3

Re: Big jet TV YouTube channel

Post by wezgulf3 »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Apparently, wont be back at the Wave anytime soon (probably ever).
A cracking case, apparently, of burning your bridges.

Oh please tell! He was a corker at The Fairford media event last week :lol:

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

It seems that the owner of the WAVE at Waddington only found out today that BJTV is a profit making business and has no knowledge of Jerry Dyer asking permission to do live shows from the top of his Transit van from the car park there.
It all seems to be a bit strange to me though, as all vans & motor-homes were not allowed into the car park last week and had to use the overflow car park along the road.
So why was the BJTV van allowed into the main car park in the 1st place? Has there been a lack of communication between the staff and the owner? I don't know, but the owner is NOT amused!

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

wezgulf3 wrote:
HeyfordDave111 wrote:Apparently, wont be back at the Wave anytime soon (probably ever).
A cracking case, apparently, of burning your bridges.

Oh please tell! He was a corker at The Fairford media event last week :lol:

What did he do wrong at the media event, please tell. :smile:

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

He's been behaving like the offside indicator on a car, known as a 'Right Winker!' :whistle:

Guy Norris

Post by Guy Norris »

Seems like Big Jet TV subscribers money is being put towards funding something 'else' looking at this video...

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=847982885595182

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

I’m not a fan by any means, not even close but it’s quite clear he’s only vaping, and nothing close to what some if the comments suggest
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Domvickery wrote:I’m not a fan by any means, not even close but it’s quite clear he’s only vaping, and nothing close to what some if the comments suggest

That's more probable even than what I was thinking, I had one of those nasal sprays in mind. I sound about the same when I use them.

Guy Norris

Post by Guy Norris »

Looks like old Big Jet TV is branching out into military and doing shows from RAF Lakenheath:

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

He should have checked the weather forecast!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I'm curious to know why anybody cares so much about this guy to set up a Facebook group "exposing lies" (by which I assume you mean mistakes/lack of knowledge) from a youtuber?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I only heard of this guy because of his infamy... it makes you wonder if he produces the anti-Big Jet content to increase views. Social media algorithms often promote angry content more than standard promo after all!

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Not sure why everyone is down on the guy, he runs free feeds from LHR most days and I often watch for an hour or two. He knows a bit about civil but guessing less about mil.
He obviously pays or at least has agreements with local hotels and farmers fields to let him film at LHR.

The mil stuff is paywalled but it is only on the LN fence mostly so I don't bother. He can be annoying but it is watchable, good luck to him.

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

I watched the recent B747 Virgin Manchester video and he mentioned he was going to RAF CGY the day after.
He mentioned he was going to CGY to see the Red Arrows (on which they are based there), F-35s and RAF Transport planes!
What an idiot!
I understand he knows more about Civilian stuff, if that is the case, stick to what you know.
I find him really iritating and I think his camera work is rubbish.
Lakes Lightning Collection

CJS

Post by CJS »

chrisward123 wrote:
Fri 12 Jun 2020, 7:26 am
I find him really iritating and I think his camera work is rubbish.
Reason enough to avoid if you ask me.
MiG_Eater wrote:
Thu 11 Jun 2020, 3:50 pm
I only heard of this guy because of his infamy... it makes you wonder if he produces the anti-Big Jet content to increase views. Social media algorithms often promote angry content more than standard promo after all!
Me too, and what an interesting theory, you might be on to something MiG_Eater I think :ninja:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

chrisward123 wrote:
Fri 12 Jun 2020, 7:26 am
I understand he knows more about Civilian stuff, if that is the case, stick to what you know.
Ah yes, such as those twin-engine A340s and Air France 777s which are actually A320s...

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I think the shows produced are poor and lack any sort of knowledge, I can't understand as to why people love them so much as anyone with the tiniest of aviation backgrounds can see right through it all, and yes I am critical of him elsewhere - I believe it can only damage the hobby in some respects. I actively avoid him and his van whenever I see it, but it is one of those unfathomable things about this hobby, why is mediocre celebrated but superb/excellent on many occasions ignored? Not that I think I'm excellent by any lengths.

Andy

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Having seen the feeds a few times I can see his appeal to people, he comes over as an average bloke who loves to watch planes and many people identify with that, he does not come over as a know it all enthusiast so people can relate to him. Yes he is mad and not always as funny as he might think but he seems quite unassuming, unlike many of the 'enthusiasts' here who have made a point of attacking him in this thread.
At the end of the day no-one is being forced to watch his 'poor' output but there are not many people I know of who would stream from LHR for free as he does for sometimes many hours in a day.

googlehead

Post by googlehead »

I think what this guy does is brilliant. He appeals to the masses.. the masses being your average person who when out walking, will look up and wonder in awe at what is flying above them. They don’t really care about what engines the B789 has, or what thrust class they are. He makes aviation accessible and believe it or not some people just love watching planes take-off and land.

He isn’t going to appeal to everyone’s sense of humour, but who does? If he’s bringing in tens of thousands of new people to the love of aviation that we all share, then it’s a thumbs up from me.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

He was filming from his van in Richmond Park for the Reds/Patrouille flypast yesterday and was made to leave by the police as he didn't have permission, this happened before the flypast.
Such a professional outfit ! :rofl:

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

He's at Coningsby today streaming video of the Typhoons, which I'm actually enjoying.

I don't really see the problem with him tbh; I doubt I'd ever pay to view any of his stuff, but there seems to be plenty who are happy enough to do so and that's up to them.
He's got his own way of commentating which grates some people while others seem to love it, but if you don't like him then don't watch!

As for the facebook page dedicated against him, well it all seems a bit pathetic to me.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Agree, and the snobbery amongst some enthusiasts is appalling.
As you say, no-one is being forced to watch his shows.

He is an engaging presenter, no doubt. Most enthusiasts could not present like he does, yes he makes mistakes but it is good he does not pretend to know everything.
Last edited by UKTopgun on Thu 25 Jun 2020, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJS

Post by CJS »

True, but there have been at least several occasions where he has been asked to move on due to not having the right permissions for filming, or when he cut the hedge at (?) Manchester/Heathrow or wherever it was. In other words, he can get on with it if he wants, but he shouldn't be doing things to give enthusiasts a bad name, or to bring 'our' hobby in to any kind of disrepute.

I don't think that's snobbery.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Other than the illegal tree hacking and not doing what he's asked to do at bases, yeah, top bloke.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

CJS wrote:
Thu 25 Jun 2020, 1:33 pm
True, but there have been at least several occasions where he has been asked to move on due to not having the right permissions for filming, or when he cut the hedge at (?) Manchester/Heathrow or wherever it was. In other words, he can get on with it if he wants, but he shouldn't be doing things to give enthusiasts a bad name, or to bring 'our' hobby in to any kind of disrepute.

He must be well known to the authorities at most bases he visits, esp Heathrow. If the things about trees is true ( I have no idea), I think he only damages the reputation of Big Jet TV, not the wider community...

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

UKTopgun wrote:
Thu 25 Jun 2020, 1:37 pm
CJS wrote:
Thu 25 Jun 2020, 1:33 pm

He must be well known to the authorities at most bases he visits, esp Heathrow. If the things about trees is true ( I have no idea), I think he only damages the reputation of Big Jet TV, not the wider community...
I agree. If damage is done by him then it's going to reflect on his channel and company rather than other enthusiasts. You can't exactly mistake who it is given the setup he goes round in.

As for his channel itself, well in fairness he's really only got to satisfy his paying subscribers and keep them happy as they're the ones paying his wages! If you're just freeloading and you don't like it, then turn it off or watch something else.