No more weekend public show!

All the chat about the bi-annual spectacular
FarnboroJohn

Re: No more weekend public show!

Post by FarnboroJohn »

effects wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:There is a new housing estate going up between Fleet and Farnborough which removes one of the last unused spaces for aircraft to manoeuvre, after that it really would be aeros over Long Valley only. Last year was an almost complete waste of time and now, frankly I wish the whole show would push off and stop sodding up the traffic round Farnborough for no very good reason.

If you are talking about Pyestock that was never in the aeros box.

Nevertheless that was where the Typhoon and others used to extend to before whipping round and diving back in with the burners blazing. Not any more. BTW even Southwood golf course is now out of commission and I wouldn't be surprised if they build on that, even though its a flood plain.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

I do find it ironic that just as they provide the new permanent exhibition facilities, the offerings become the weakest in history. I can't pretend to understand the complexities of Brexit but for sure it won't be good for Farnborough, just as it isn't for much else I can recall? There is no room in the remaining Europe for Paris, Berlin & Farnborough Trade Shows. SU-57 at FIA-2020 anybody? :facepalm:
IMO the local media did little to inform Joe Public that whilst the Red Arrows were at the 'brilliant Farnborough Air-show' they would only take-off & display elsewhere or go home! Yes, the general public were foolish/misled/robbed, but that's not what they expected from the Promoter's lauded 'Premier Air-show with excellent lineage'. They were right to complain & request refunds, it was a right Royal mugging! (adopt Danny Dyer accent?) Good Riddance. :wave:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Tommy wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-47463443

The Farnborough International Airshow will no longer host a public weekend after "negative and vitriolic" feedback for displays, it has been announced.

“It’s the mirror’s fault that I’m ugly”

Quite staggering. Effectively blaming the public for daring to complain that they were paying £50 for a dreadful, lazy flying display line-up at a venue where the Red Arrows refused to display and where Sally B was barely allowed to take off and land. Buck passing to a breathtaking degree.

He might not like me for saying it, but Jakub had the temerity to ask Farnborough for a response to our 2018 review and wider negative comments before we published it. A chance to put their side, as it were.

After a tremendous effort from Jakub, he received the same two-paragraph press statement cut and paste from the local papers, with so little substance as to be unuseable and a waste of time and effort on J’s behalf.

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

RIAT not missing a trick, advert on Classic radio for the show this morning.

John
Last edited by lambo17841 on Thu 07 Mar 2019, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Hate to say this but I can see the same happening at Paris, I went about 10 Years Ago and although the Aircraft on display were pretty good, I felt the organisation then was mainly geared to the Aviation Business and not the Aviation Enthusiast Type like at normal Airshows……….

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Unknown74 wrote:Hate to say this but I can see the same happening at Paris, I went about 10 Years Ago and although the Aircraft on display were pretty good, I felt the organisation then was mainly geared to the Aviation Business and not the Aviation Enthusiast Type like at normal Airshows……….

I wonder why that was the case? :dunno:

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Tommy wrote:After a tremendous effort from Jakub, he received the same two-paragraph press statement cut and paste from the local papers, with so little substance as to be unuseable and a waste of time and effort on J’s behalf.

The decision to cancel the public airshow just backs up everything we have all been thinking since Farnborough went downhill. Whether it's money, time, effort or tightening regulations - IMO no one at FIA has the passion or drive for the public airshow. A great shame really, to essentially lose a famous show such as this. I thought they'd give it at least a couple more attempts before giving up.

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

melvyn hiscock wrote:
effects wrote:
melvyn hiscock wrote:Not surprising.

The rules on overflight are next to impossible there. I am amazed they have not stopped before.

Not at all accurate.

Really? Not according to some people deep within the industry. Perhaps OK if you are going to have the WW1 reenactment but anything bigger is overflying.

I agree completely with MH. One quick look at google maps will show the site is completely unsuitable for an air display.

It’s probably barely suitable for the demo flying required for a trade show!

effects

Post by effects »

GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
melvyn hiscock wrote:
effects wrote:
melvyn hiscock wrote:Not surprising.

The rules on overflight are next to impossible there. I am amazed they have not stopped before.

Not at all accurate.

Really? Not according to some people deep within the industry. Perhaps OK if you are going to have the WW1 reenactment but anything bigger is overflying.

I agree completely with MH. One quick look at google maps will show the site is completely unsuitable for an air display.

It’s probably barely suitable for the demo flying required for a trade show!

And of course Fairford is okay with a massive campsite right in the aeros area.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

CJS

Post by CJS »

Is that another difference between CAA and MAA display rules? Or the temporary nature of the campsite at RIAT (ie it's not housing) or that if you started to lose control displaying at RIAT you could probably find a field to crash in to but that'd be harder over Farnborough (there's a rhyme for you...)
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

effects

Post by effects »

The MAA rules are similar to CAA or in some respects more stringent.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

It comes as no great surprise but it always was primarily a trade show for those in the industry.
The biennial moan that the a lot of good stuff leaves before the weekend is not new. It has been like that for years. I remember the first Farnborough I went to in 1978 being disappointed that the brand new Mirage 2000 prototype had already left by the time we arrived for the public show on the Friday.

I do think that Farnborough has suffered from RIAT becoming more trade oriented over the last few years. Businesses may decide that supporting shows that run so close together is difficult and may choose to support only one. Of course there has also been some benefit in some that some aircraft have been able to attend both. But it’s interesting that the best Farnborough shows were when the show was in September and RIAT wasn’t a rival.

The flying display was short on the days I visited on two days last year. The days of multiple fast jets and 5 or 6 hour displays are long gone – the industry has moved on. – and it hasn’t been done to annoy enthusiasts either. Anyone who has witnessed any of the sometimes spectacular airliner displays at Farnborough will know that the display has been affected by new regulations but not to the extent that some here seem to think. As has been mentioned, the F-16 appeared little affected and the Hercules display was definitely worth seeing. The problem was that there were not enough displays. One thing I noticed last year that, from memory, apart from Airbus components there was not a single UK built type in the flying display. Another first I think. To be fair that is not the organizer’s fault. If companies like BAE Systems don’t want to display their aircraft then that is their decision.

The expansion of TAG and the requirement to keep the airfield open all day has also affected the show. Not so long ago, many of the static aircraft were parked on the runway and the only movements until the display started were the helicopters.

I don’t think the reasons for 2020’s change of plans is, I think a change of focus and little to do with poor reviews and enthusiast’s moaning. It is a business after all.

One question. How many of those criticizing actually went to the show last year?
From a personal point of view, I’ll still go as a trade visitor; I believe the prawn sandwiches are nice.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

I hope that this signals an end to RIAT changing weekends every two years and conflicting with Legends!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I don't think it will.

RIAT attracts the military visitors to FIA and it is easier for that to occur if it is the weekend before FIA than it is the weekend after. It would also mean the Friday public day clashing.

Andy