Yuma airshow 2019 review

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
verreli

Yuma airshow 2019 review

Post by verreli »

The show, as an American airshow, was free to attend. It consisted of an evening airshow on the Friday and a day show on the Saturday.

The Friday lineup consisted of an A10, F35B + civil acts. The static was roped off and attendees were restricted to a small area where, if you didn't have grandstand or hospitality access, the view of the runway was restricted. The weather was perfect with clear skies and a setting sun which set to a perfect twilight. The A10 was first up, a little early for the best light but still quite nice. Next up was Tora tora tora which had the best of the light and the setting sun. The display consisted of 4 pairs each repeating a circuit of beat ups which, if you took it as a whole, was quite spectacular until you realised that it was the same aircraft on the same profile in the same part of the sky. The jet truck was surprisingly fun but light was fading fast and by the time the T6's were displaying you could only see their nav lights. No pyros were used for their display. The F35 was up last and while I had hoped for the billed twilight for that spectacular picture of aircraft in twilight with burner, in reality the display consisted of a stick of burner crossing the sky in pitch black. The display finished with a night vertical landing that only those with perfect night vision could see. To remember, it was free of charge but in my mind it was a missed opportunity. No Harrier at sunset or F5's with burner at twilight were used.

Saturday was much better. As an international attendee, I was subject to extra scrutiny and had to wait longer than USA attendees to pass through an airport style vetting with fingerprints and passports required. No hassle and the US staff were all extremely polite and professional. The day started off with clear blue skies and progressively clouded over with high level cirrus. The static was open and free to wander. No ropes so you could get up to the aircraft. Static consisted of F18, harrier, roped off F35, osprey, A10, hercules, F5 and much more. You could get on the osprey and herc. No unobstructed views of the static aircraft were possible but it was still enjoyable to be able to get a close look at the aircraft. The flying display was good. It started with the Harrier, then F35B, Osprey, F5 x4 + Huey + Cobra, A10 and Marine role demo. A good airshow of rarely seen military types in the UK. Two things I would have liked. The F5's were all aggressors but only two did the display with the other two circling high so no photos were possible of two nice paint jobs. It would have also been nice to see a four ship diamond flyby of the F5's but they just did an echelon break to circuit. Also, following the role demo, the Harrier and F35 flew together but a tighter formation would have been good to highlight the old and new of jet vertical flight and to be really gready, a pairs hover to land would have been the icing on the cake.

The acid test is would I attend again and the answer to that question is yes. This is a show principally aimed at US tax payers and their patriotic public as is the case with all US airshows but I thank the US for welcoming international guests and for putting on such a great show.

verreli

Re: Yuma airshow 2019 review

Post by verreli »

Photos of the twilight and day airshows...

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Some cracking pictures there...

Hoping to visit Yuma in September, between Lemoore and Miramar shows... :up:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Djack

Post by Djack »

Great shots! The Huey/moon shot is terrific. I was at the show as well, and agree with your comments. I too wish they'd do more with the F-5's.

David