Hawker Typhoon Preservation Group

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Tbolt

Hawker Typhoon Preservation Group

Post by Tbolt »

If anyone's not aware the Hawker Typhoon Preservation Group are getting the rear fuselage of RB396 rebuilt by Airframe Assemblies and are running a Crowdfunder to help with the costs. They only have till the 27th of April and are only just over half way. So if you can donate anything please help them out and spread the word.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/rb396/comments#start

Really looking forward to seeing her fly one day.

CJS

Re: Hawker Typhoon Preservation Group

Post by CJS »

There's some deep pockets round this hobby isn't there!? That's getting on for £150 per donation on average.

Good luck to them. Out of interest, what happens to my money if I've donated (which I haven't) but the total isn't reached? Do I get it back or does it not even go until after the deadline had passed anyway? TIA :up:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

CJS wrote:There's some deep pockets round this hobby isn't there!? That's getting on for £150 per donation on average.

Good luck to them. Out of interest, what happens to my money if I've donated (which I haven't) but the total isn't reached? Do I get it back or does it not even go until after the deadline had passed anyway? TIA :up:

Most people have just given small amounts but there are a few large ones.

Crowdfunder seems to work in two way depending on how you set it up, either you can have it so if you don't reach the target everyone gets their money back or the other you keep the money either way.

It says on the site that it will only be funded if the goal is reached but I can see that as being right as surely any money they make will go to the project, the getting your money back is usually for things that might not happen, where as this will, but will take longer if the money is slower coming in.

If you are unsure of the Crowdfunder you can always donate directly on their site https://hawkertyphoon.com

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

I saw a big announcement from the team on social media in the last day or so, a Project Refocus: https://hawkertyphoon.com/news/hawker-t ... ct-refocus
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Should have called it Project Realisation perhaps....

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Whilst not wishing to degrade anything that Typhoon Preservation Group plan to achieve with RB396.
I wish there was more cooperation with their Canadian friends www.typhoonlegacy.com and their project to rebuild and fly JP843.
Surely better to share information and work together to achieve double the success. Could jigs made for the wings in the UK not be used twice to help the Canadian project ?
If I remember correctly the Canadian project is more advantage than the UK but it proposes to use more 'new build' material, which might not suit the UK authorities.
I remember several years ago talking to a team member at their Duxford display stand about the Canadian project and the person seem unaware of it.
The Canadian facebook pages gives more info than their website
www.facebook.com/hawkertyphoonjp843/

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

May be these two projects need to talk to each other.....
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=86308

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Does anyone know the recent status of the project?

Not having Facebook, I've normally still been able to read their Facebook posts by searching them on Google but it's not saying their page doesn't exist anyone, that may just be because something's changed to Facebook's end about not allowing nonusers to read posts.

Their website hasn't been updated since January with a restoration update and just wondered if anyone had any up to date information.

wattsy

Post by wattsy »

they are still going and seem to be doing well. their new facebook page is fairly regularly updated.
https://www.facebook.com/RB396hawkertyphoon

Post by 5944 »

Ryan. wrote:
Wed 13 Jul 2022, 10:44 am
Does anyone know the recent status of the project?

Not having Facebook, I've normally still been able to read their Facebook posts by searching them on Google but it's not saying their page doesn't exist anyone, that may just be because something's changed to Facebook's end about not allowing nonusers to read posts.

Their website hasn't been updated since January with a restoration update and just wondered if anyone had any up to date information.
They started a new Facebook page a few months ago for some reason, Hawker Typhoon RB396. But there hasn't been a decent update on there since it started, just mentions of people fundraising and that the gallery has been updated on the website. No captions or dates on the photos so that's not much use either.

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

I wouldn't expect to see any engineering/workshop updates anytime soon - work has stopped on the rear fuselage at Airframe Assemblies
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

cometguymk1

Post by cometguymk1 »

Ah, not good as they seemed to have gathered momentum over recent years

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Thankyou for the replies! It was always going to be one of the more difficult restorations around.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

[media]https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0318935020[/media]

A membership update from the Typhoon project but why do they have to talk to people like they’re idiots, its fairly regularly too
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Mike

Post by Mike »

I don’t see any of the updates in my Facebook feed any more since they nuked their old page and started again from scratch a while back, even though I follow the new page.

Their whole social media policy is inexplicably bizarre.

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

I recently watched a video of a presentation they held at Duxford in April and given the goody bags everyone was getting (Airfix kits, glossy bookazines/programmes), and the champagne and nibbles - not to mention the highly professional, very attractive and LARGE signage everywhere - I'm not surprised they need more money.

I'm frankly too scared to ask about progress on the various channels because of the snarky responses I and others have gotten.

I've contributed in the past and I want to see it succeed. But it just makes me uncomfortable for some reason.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Post by 5944 »

K5054NZ wrote:
Wed 25 Oct 2023, 6:01 am
I recently watched a video of a presentation they held at Duxford in April and given the goody bags everyone was getting (Airfix kits, glossy bookazines/programmes), and the champagne and nibbles - not to mention the highly professional, very attractive and LARGE signage everywhere - I'm not surprised they need more money.

I'm frankly too scared to ask about progress on the various channels because of the snarky responses I and others have gotten.

I've contributed in the past and I want to see it succeed. But it just makes me uncomfortable for some reason.
I know what you mean. Something about the whole thing doesn't sit quite right with me, and I can't put my finger on why. The social media policy doesn't help, especially no mention of the progress with actual rebuild.

Interesting reply to one of the comments on the above link. They've raised £1m so far, in the 7 years the project has been ongoing. That's about £150,000 per year. They then go on to say it'll cost about £6.5m in total at current prices, but for every year the project is delayed, costs rise by £0.5m. So at current rate of progress they're looking at another 35 years before it flies, before accounting for inflation and rising costs.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

They reposted a 2 year old video on their Youtube channel & I asked what had happened to the airframe since the 2 year old video to which they responded
"What's happening is an incredibly small team of people are giving up vast amounts of their spare time to try and raise the funds to continue the work. Support is needed and you can contribute via our website to help push it along."

Their attitude towards people who could potentially raise them income is bizarre.

Talking of their events as above, their last submitted accounts show events expenditure at over £43k with only £23K raised as well as a £29k administration costs!

I think I remember saying they wont attend airshows any more too which is a crazy decision for their fund raising, it's such a shame as the restoration itself is one of the most exciting in the UK at the moment alongside Just Jane & The Peoples Mosquito but the decisions being made are holding the project back
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Work on the rear fuselage has stalled for almost 2 years now. They seem to find a lot of excuses for their lack of progress including lack of funds, cost of living crisis and somehow, the Ukraine conflict! The shutting down of their original social media pages and no presence at airshows or events has hurt them considerably- totally bizarre decisions.

If you want to see a flying Hawker Typhoon I suggest following Ian Slater and the JP843 project in Canada. He posts regular updates on both Facebook and YouTube.
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

5944 wrote:
Wed 25 Oct 2023, 7:58 am
K5054NZ wrote:
Wed 25 Oct 2023, 6:01 am

I know what you mean. Something about the whole thing doesn't sit quite right with me, and I can't put my finger on why. The social media policy doesn't help, especially no mention of the progress with actual rebuild.

Interesting reply to one of the comments on the above link. They've raised £1m so far, in the 7 years the project has been ongoing. That's about £150,000 per year. They then go on to say it'll cost about £6.5m in total at current prices, but for every year the project is delayed, costs rise by £0.5m. So at current rate of progress they're looking at another 35 years before it flies, before accounting for inflation and rising costs.
Bang on chaps, I agree completely with what you say, I supported at the start too but…well I can’t put my finger on it either

Smog Monster

Post by Smog Monster »

Same, used to be a staple stand to visit at Duxford airshows, I always donated / bought stuff, and enjoyed a good chat with the guy that fronted it - pretty sure his name was Dave. Always seemed ambitious but like they were on the ball. Feel like there's been a major change of direction in the last few years.

Hope it succeeds, but feel disengaged.

southyorkshireman

Post by southyorkshireman »

Agree their social media people need a customer service course and quickly. Possibly for the good of the project they ought to step aside and let someone else do it. I used to be a member for a couple of years but gave up after receiving an email demanding to know why I hadn't renewed on the 1st Jan. I said I thought January was a bad month for renewals and I couldn't afford on that occasion due to paying off Christmas but was happy to renew in February. That wasn't good enough so I didn't bother renewing.

I want to see the project succeed but not at any cost. Maybe some of the volunteers need to think about whether success is more important than their role in the group or not

Post by 5944 »

southyorkshireman wrote:
Sat 28 Oct 2023, 10:05 am
Agree their social media people need a customer service course and quickly. Possibly for the good of the project they ought to step aside and let someone else do it. I used to be a member for a couple of years but gave up after receiving an email demanding to know why I hadn't renewed on the 1st Jan. I said I thought January was a bad month for renewals and I couldn't afford on that occasion due to paying off Christmas but was happy to renew in February. That wasn't good enough so I didn't bother renewing.

I want to see the project succeed but not at any cost. Maybe some of the volunteers need to think about whether success is more important than their role in the group or not
I get the impression the group isn't so much people, more just one person doing everything, and not always successfully.

AndyJohn68

Post by AndyJohn68 »

I've just joined the team at the Hawker Typhoon Preservation Group and it's a shame to read the recent posts on here. Clearly, some of you have not had a good experience and we will certainly learn from that feedback. I hope those of you who, understandably, have stopped supporting us might be tempted back in the future.

I was with the team over the weekend and can assure you that we are committed to the project and have a plan that I believe can lead to success. It's not easy though; we're a small team of volunteers with limited time - we wont get everything right, but please bear with us and we might all get to see a Tiffy flying in the UK. Wouldn't that be amazing.