Microsoft Flight Simulator Returns

Discuss and share resources with fellow gamers
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Returns

Post by Wissam24 »

Yes and no. I think there's a loooooong way to go and thing can definitely improve in that time.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Absolutely, but when I see people expecting GTA V level of detail on ground level they're setting themselves up for a big disappointment :P

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Oh well of course!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

blackfive460

Post by blackfive460 »

Now available for pre-order.
https://www.flightsimulator.com/product-description/
Not cheap!

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

To be fair DCS is big money too.
This will be a huge hit and they know they can name their price to a large extent. I am in!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Yes it's a niche, enthusiasts market!

However, the standard tier will be included in XBox Game Pass on PC

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I think I'll stick with X-Plane for now. It is very expensive for what is a very limited set of airports, even in the deluxe version. It would also be good if the all-world realism extended to the $ to £ exchange rate.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

You still get the other 37000 airports, it's just they're the vanilla airports - not the enhanced ones.

I'll give it a try with the Game Pass as I already have that and then decide if it's worth buying.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Yes theoretically every airport and airfield on the planet is usable.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Man I'm enjoying this sim haha

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

It's really good fun, there are a few fairly obvious bugs (can't speed up time and in vertical mode in the TBM the weather radar scale doesn't change from +/- 60,000ft) but I'm sure they will be fixed.

DaveM

Post by DaveM »

Do you need a constant internet connection while running it? Although I'll need to upgrade my (W7) rig to something that can handle it before too long, my max d/l speed is about 410kbps so apart from the week to download the thing in the first place, can you download what you want and run it standalone as my internet connection definitely wouldn't cope with needing it in-game.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

You can run it without internet, it just doesn't look as good.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

boff180 wrote:
Wed 19 Aug 2020, 7:42 pm
It's really good fun, there are a few fairly obvious bugs (can't speed up time and in vertical mode in the TBM the weather radar scale doesn't change from +/- 60,000ft) but I'm sure they will be fixed.
you can speed up the sim, look for Sim Rate in the Miscellaneous section. just be aware that there is no indicator to show what speed you are running at - so count those button presses!

McG

Post by McG »

I did my PPL training on a C152 just over 20 years ago in my early 20’s. For various reasons I never kept the licence current.

Today I downloaded the standard version of the latest MS Flight Sim and had a play around with the C152.
This was the first time I had used Flight Sim in years.

Even on medium graphics settings this sim is good. Everything about it reminded me of doing my PPL, including the odd little bumps caused by weather etc.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

I seem to have a problem getting 'active pause' to work - I've done a rebind, but nothing happens when I use it in the sim. Other that that, I'm addicted. :grin:

McG

Post by McG »

Getting my “Edtracker pro” to work, a sort of pseudo TrackIr device, has really increased the immersion factor, especially doing the Bush flight challenge from Croatia to Santorini, which I have flown about 1/2 the legs so far.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Bush flights are very good, though it might be an idea to do them in reverse order, as the US one is more difficult (and more boring) than the others.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Anyone tried the Courcheval challenge, it is very tough to do well!

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Yeah, some of the challenges are tricky, the Courchevel one isn't too bad as long as you don't drop too low - as with the flaps down there is insufficient power to climb at that altitude and you'll likely face plant the mountainside.

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

I broke out my old southern England VFR chart and spent an hour and a half bimbling around in the cub trying to accurately fly cross country last night. I’ve not been so engrossed in a sim for a long time, and the ability to follow roads and railway lines and plan routes based on landmarks is incredible. Making me tempted to go back and finish the PPL!
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

How not to do it IRL.

Paulish

Post by Paulish »

I have had mixed experience with the new sim. I upgraded my gaming rig to an SSD hard drive and installed 32gb of ram to replace the 8gb installed. I downloaded the software having taken out a subscription to Xbox game pass. The sim although fantastic looking was virtually unplayable with sub 20 FPS and much stuttering. I took a decision to delete, re download and reinstall. At the same time (last week) Microsoft launched a 15gb patch ref 1.8.3.0. This has made a tremendous difference to the performance on what is a mid range machine. I am now getting 40-50 fps and this can probably be further tuned. Loading times have also reduced and I am really starting to enjoy the experience. In short I am now a fan. I am posting this because there may be folk out there who were disillusioned with the initial release.

JoshWiggins

Post by JoshWiggins »

Been after the Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Add-on for many months now. Just in case i wasnt the only one that couldn't come across it (apart from the absurd sell on prices) It is currently in stock below!

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/thrustm ... -speed-bra

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Tempting! Supposed to be decent.