East or West ?

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
TYPHOON3

East or West ?

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Doing park and view for the first time this year on Wednesday.Which is best,East or West ,or does it depend on which end the aircraft are using ?Thanks in advance for any advice.

FlankerPhoto

Re: East or West ?

Post by FlankerPhoto »

If you're there to see them airborne then it's down to whichever runway they're using. It'll likely be 27, so East out on top in my opinion. :up:

jayne_morris

Post by jayne_morris »

if they are landing on the preferred runway then it is runway 27 so P&V east is the place for approach shots and shots of finals, if you go to to west and they are landing on 27 then they will taxi up and turn off in front of the enclosure but some complain that some turn off before the end and they dont get up as far as P&V west

tower are aware of this and often ask plots to run up to the end of the runway for the photographers but t does not always happen

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

I'm thinking I'll do west on Wednesday, Enclosure Thursday, Enclosure Friday for the show and P&V East for Evening. Enclosure Saturday - Monday

RS2

Post by RS2 »

If the wind direction allows generally runway 27, aircraft arriving from the East tends to be favourite. If they are landing 27 then apart from the odd helicopter you will pretty much see everything from the eastern end. Western end generally is good for taxying shots but beware you wont see everything as a lot don't necessarily get that far turning off to backtrack at earlier taxyways. Even aircraft in the run and break can break before they reach the Western end but some people don't mind the chance of missing aircraft for the taxy shots available. West used to be the quieter end compared to East, but not so much in recent years, sadly the facilities the the Western end still refelct a quieter end though. Someone mentioned P&V on Friday, don't think it exists anymore with the Friday show.

G67

Post by G67 »

When using rw 27 many of the possible taxi shots at West are ruined by runway heat-haze on clear days, whereas on final at East they're still above the shimmer.

We used to get lots of shots of wheels 'melting' into the runway and pilots with Impressionist faces :( Eventually gave-up at West unless they changed the runway.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

And if it’s 09 in use it’s just bolycs for everybody. :sad:

Depends what you want. For years I’ve preferred West over East, but that’s tempered with the fact that I’m in the FRIAT stand on Monday, so will see everything (in principle!) then, and I don’t really mind what I miss. Though there have been some absolute stars that have turned off early over the years, and long periods of bugger-all sometimes. That’s usually when people start raeg-tweeting @RIATAirTraffic :grin:

If there is a particular static(s) you *really* want to see live, then East is usually the best bet.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

My first time at departures and I wondered ,is it possible to stay by your car and still get reasonable views of the aircraft ?
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

At West, yes. :up:

CJS

Post by CJS »

FlankerPhoto wrote:At West, yes. :up:

Are you allowed to stay by your car? You're not during show days, hence the question.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

As far as I know, yes. Could be wrong though.

jayne_morris

Post by jayne_morris »

Is parking available at Park & View?

At both sites, from 6am each day, free of charge parking is on the airfield, on hard-standing for ticket holders in the Park and View enclosures. You are not permitted to view from within the car park if you do not have a ticket.

Cars can not be left overnight in the car parks.

Bicycles (but not motorbikes) can be locked to the fencing (inside the airfield), near to the main entrance gates at the owners own risk.

that is from the RIAT FAQ,s and clearly says "You are not permitted to view from within the car park if you do not have a ticket" so looks like as long as you have a valid ticket then you can view from the car parks, we have done P&V east and the car park is outside the P&V enclosure so if they didnt have the rule about requiring at ticket the car parks would be full of free loaders displaced from other areas

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Ok thanks for your replies,I have a ticket so will make up my mind a bit nearer the time !

jingernut

Post by jingernut »

aceyone wrote:Ok thanks for your replies,I have a ticket so will make up my mind a bit nearer the time !

You can change ends during the day... you are not locked in to one end once you make the choice. You'll just need to drive to the other end if needs be.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

jingernut wrote:
aceyone wrote:Ok thanks for your replies,I have a ticket so will make up my mind a bit nearer the time !

You can change ends during the day... you are not locked in to one end once you make the choice. You'll just need to drive to the other end if needs be.

Ah right ,thanks !

G67

Post by G67 »

jingernut wrote:

You're free to do so, assuming you have suitable transport, but viewing opportunities will be largely blocked when arriving 'mid-term' at one or other end.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Thank you all for your help and advice.I might just try East and West to get a perspective from both.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

TYPHOON3 wrote:Thank you all for your help and advice.I might just try East and West to get a perspective from both.

It might be worth doing East first then West as at the West end enclosure there’s a slight rise in the land so you don’t absolutely need to be at the rope to get shots.

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

I have used East many times for arrivals but will be attending Monday departures for the first time this year.

Is West a viable option for departures?

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Sabrina wrote:I have used East many times for arrivals but will be attending Monday departures for the first time this year.

Is West a viable option for departures?

Depending on the winds MOST stuff departs in a westward direction (with the exception, randomly, of the Ukranians every year) so P&V west is usually kinda useless on departure day except for some shots of stuff taxiing and maybe a half dozen things taking off...

Still packed with people every year though, so I guess something good must be happening down there?

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

I have never really understood why people pay to enter p&v east to be honest(for departures) sure you probably get a few good taxi shots as they line up but other than that all you see is them heading in the wrong direction!

My preference is the FRIAT stand haha.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

AARDVARK wrote:I have never really understood why people pay to enter p&v east to be honest(for departures) sure you probably get a few good taxi shots as they line up but other than that all you see is them heading in the wrong direction!

My preference is the FRIAT stand haha.

Afterburner shots?

Lighting Fires by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Go4Long wrote:Depending on the winds MOST stuff departs in a westward direction (with the exception, randomly, of the Ukranians every year) so P&V west is usually kinda useless on departure day except for some shots of stuff taxiing and maybe a half dozen things taking off...

Still packed with people every year though, so I guess something good must be happening down there?

Thanks Go4Long - it is what I suspected. It would be great to hear from anyone who has done departures from West!

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

Go4Long wrote:MOST stuff departs in a westward direction (with the exception, randomly, of the Ukranians every year) so P&V west is usually kinda useless on departure day except for some shots of stuff taxiing and maybe a half dozen things taking off...

I'm doing departures for the first time this year and am reading this thread with interest.

I've done arrivals in East plenty of times and to me, it's the obvious place to be, good for touch downs and getting to see everything pass in front of you.

So I'm confused as to why you say West is useless for departures. Is most stuff too high before it gets in range of a good lens, or do a lot of stuff bank north? Feels like I'm missing something...

RS2

Post by RS2 »

West is a mixed bag for departures, a lot of stuff is too high (underside shots), some aircraft seem to go vertical at the midpoint, and some helis turn north or south before they reach you. However for the odd fighter or heavy that keeps it low, its a chance to capture a static exhibit in the air with wheels up. It really is a lottery, if you go to West with that in mind you may have a good day, if you want to try to get good photos of a large percentage of the departures forget it. I've enjoyed West over the years but the seemingly lower number of good shots year on year has dragged me back to friat enclosure on Mondays.