Riat 2019 weather watch.

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
speedbird2639

Re: RIAT 2019 weather watch.

Post by speedbird2639 »

mark_aviation wrote:Met Office says you might get a few showers on Wednesday night, but no rain on Thursday and Friday day. Rain is then forecast to start at 10pm Friday night and continue until 7pm Saturday... No rain is forecast for Sunday and Monday and then the sun comes out for the first time at 7pm Monday evening...

Very little rain being forecast by the BBC/ Meteogroup - so you can take your pick. It's an airshow in the UK so usual rules apply - pack for all four seasons and your covered one way or another! :lol:

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

With the possibility of thunderstorms on Saturday, are there any rules for lightning and people in grandstands?

I’ve never been in a that situation here in the U.K. but in the U.S. at big sporting events, if there’s a lightning strike within 8 miles of the venue, everyone must evacuate the grandstands and then wait on a “lightning clock” to make sure there is no further strikes before reentering the grandstands. Anything similar over here?

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

mark_aviation wrote:With the possibility of thunderstorms on Saturday, are there any rules for lightning and people in grandstands?

I’ve never been in a that situation here in the U.K. but in the U.S. at big sporting events, if there’s a lightning strike within 8 miles of the venue, everyone must evacuate the grandstands and then wait on a “lightning clock” to make sure there is no further strikes before reentering the grandstands. Anything similar over here?

Never heard of anything like that here. Can’t we just nominate somebody on row A to stand up with an umbrella and take one for the team? :grin:

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Which service is predicting thunderstorms? Not showing on met office, BBC, or AccuWeather at the moment.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

G-CVIX wrote:Which service is predicting thunderstorms? Not showing on met office, BBC, or AccuWeather at the moment.

Accuweather was predicting thunderstorms last week however that's no longer on the forecast. It shifted from Sat, to Sunday... then to Monday and now not showing Thunderstorms until the following wee..

3enrique

Post by 3enrique »

G-CVIX wrote:Which service is predicting thunderstorms? Not showing on met office, BBC, or AccuWeather at the moment.

This one predicts Thunderstorms on Saturday https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Fairford+UKXX3539:1:UK

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Yep, The Weather Channel. It’s still showing Thunderstorms for Saturday (and currently showing the worst it has so far).

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Okay , 48 hours before hand , and Ive had to check the weather for the 1st time since the weekend as it was driving me crazy
i was hoping it had got better, but met office are now showing rain all day , and even heavy at times.

Absolutely gutted. More so as taking some family . And the £150 rip off for the Friday as well :wall:

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Mr Benn wrote:Okay , 48 hours before hand , and I've had to check the weather for the 1st time since the weekend as it was driving me crazy
i was hoping it had got better, but met office are now showing rain all day , and even heavy at times.

Absolutely gutted. More so as taking some family . And the £150 rip off for the Friday as well :wall:

As expected it’s completely changed since yesterday but it’s still only forecasting showers which means we might not even see a drop.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

my app (accuweather) is currently suggesting that saturday and sunday are likely to be good with the odd shower perhaps.
friday is showing rainy periods about a 50/50 chance so we may be ok

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Paul_Reflex wrote:
mark_aviation wrote:With the possibility of thunderstorms on Saturday, are there any rules for lightning and people in grandstands?

Never heard of anything like that here. Can’t we just nominate somebody on row A to stand up with an umbrella and take one for the team? :grin:

I have experienced grandstand evacuation for thunderstorms at Rockingham, during a motor racing event. They are very tall there though.

R4118

Post by R4118 »

BBC gives heavy rain for Friday and showers for Saturday.
So that means not much flying will be going on these 2 days…..

BUMMER !!!!
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

Post by 106500 »

Mr Benn wrote:Okay , 48 hours before hand , and I've had to check the weather for the 1st time since the weekend as it was driving me crazy

I have lost count of the number of airshows I've been to where even when there has been a bad forecast, there's been very little actual rain or even when there has been some downpours there's been a fair amount of flying. :smile:

banksy

Post by banksy »

I think we're all desperately hoping that we're not going to get a repeat of that infamous downpour on the Friday which then ended up flooding the fields and ruining the whole weekend.

Fingers crossed all.
Chester FC Fan Engagement Director
Twitter: @banks247

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

R4118 wrote:BBC gives heavy rain for Friday and showers for Saturday.

BUMMER !!!!

BBC are forecasting light rain during the Friday show and even that is in the 20-50% range so just as likely not to rain.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

banksy wrote:I think we're all desperately hoping that we're not going to get a repeat of that infamous downpour on the Friday which then ended up flooding the fields and ruining the whole weekend.

Fingers crossed all.

The steps that have been taken over the past ten years were specifically to ensure that a cancellation never happens again.

There's too much doom and gloom here. It can't be changed, whatever happens.

SarahCA

Post by SarahCA »

I'm planning on coming on the Saturday or Sunday, which I have done for the last 7 years in a row. Normally a better day stands out, but this year they're similarly patchy. Of course the forecasts talk of rain, but that can easily clear to blue skies and only affect the display for half an hour. Does anyone know enough about the cloud height to know which is the better displaying day? It was looking better on the Sunday but the forecasts have changed again and both days have their risks.

I've been before when the displays have been downgraded to low level stuff or nothing at all, which is shame with a 3 hour journey there (which I am sure a lot of you are familiar with!)

Thanks

adam2628

Post by adam2628 »

SarahCA wrote:I'm planning on coming on the Saturday or Sunday, which I have done for the last 7 years in a row. Normally a better day stands out, but this year they're similarly patchy. Of course the forecasts talk of rain, but that can easily clear to blue skies and only affect the display for half an hour. Does anyone know enough about the cloud height to know which is the better displaying day? It was looking better on the Sunday but the forecasts have changed again and both days have their risks.

I've been before when the displays have been downgraded to low level stuff or nothing at all, which is shame with a 3 hour journey there (which I am sure a lot of you are familiar with!)

Thanks

Unless you've already got tickets for the both days I would say your decision has been made already.... Saturday is sold out. Unless of course your going to a park and view at one of the local sites.

R4118

Post by R4118 »

Andyperkins wrote:

BUMMER !!!!

BBC are forecasting light rain during the Friday show and even that is in the 20-50% range so just as likely not to rain.

Maybe I'm too pessimistic !
Let's hope for the best and prepare for the worst ……….
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

R4118 wrote:
Andyperkins wrote:

BUMMER !!!!

Maybe I'm too pessimistic !
Let's hope for the best and prepare for the worst ……….

It’s easy to think the worst when you check the weather and see a little black cloud icon with rain below it but if attending air shows over the last few decades has taught me anything it’s that you never know what will happen, been too a few when sunshine was forecast and it rained all day and others when heavy rain was forecast and didn’t see a drop.

Unless most forecasts show a greater than 95% chance of heavy rain all day when I check Friday morning then I will be on my way but I fully expect it to rain too some degree so have packed accordingly.

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

[/quote]

The steps that have been taken over the past ten years were specifically to ensure that a cancellation never happens again.

There's too much doom and gloom here. It can't be changed, whatever happens.[/quote]

I must apologise for my doom - but unfortunately I suffer with Anxiety and tend to mull things over and over, and always assume the worst. :sad:
I guess you all want it to be great weather, but I hope you guys dont get so down if it does rain - plenty seem to be saying it makes for better photos !

I hadnt thought it would be okay if its intermittent as planes can fly when its okay , tho i guess the low cloud is a factor then ?

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Mr Benn wrote:I must apologise for my doom - but unfortunately I suffer with Anxiety and tend to mull things over and over, and always assume the worst. :sad:
I guess you all want it to be great weather, but I hope you guys dont get so down if it does rain - plenty seem to be saying it makes for better photos !

I hadnt thought it would be okay if its intermittent as planes can fly when its okay , though i guess the low cloud is a factor then ?

The cloud base is always the main issue, seen plenty of displays in the pouring rain (F-18 at RIAT 2009 and Gripen at Leuchars 2011 spring to mind)

SarahCA

Post by SarahCA »

adam2628 wrote:
SarahCA wrote:I'm planning on coming on the Saturday or Sunday, which I have done for the last 7 years in a row. Normally a better day stands out, but this year they're similarly patchy. Of course the forecasts talk of rain, but that can easily clear to blue skies and only affect the display for half an hour. Does anyone know enough about the cloud height to know which is the better displaying day? It was looking better on the Sunday but the forecasts have changed again and both days have their risks.

Thanks

Unless you've already got tickets for the both days I would say your decision has been made already.... Saturday is sold out. Unless of course your going to a park and view at one of the local sites.

I head to the park and views :smile:

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Decided to go on the Friday this year as figured it would be less busy and less traffic, as taking a some of my family. Looks like I chose the wrong day ,
I maybe tempted to go myself on the Sunday if Friday is a bit of a disaster

sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

Going on Friday. Lets hope they can get something up even if its just fly pasts.... Weather keeps changing on the forecast. When I bought the ticket yesterday it was showing no rain and cloud ! Its now showing 35-50 % of rain with thunderstorms much later in the day. :wall: