Riat 2019 weather watch.

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
JJC

Re: RIAT 2019 weather watch.

Post by JJC »

sikejsudjek wrote:Going on Friday. Lets hope they can get something up even if its just fly pasts.... Weather keeps changing on the forecast. When I bought the ticket yesterday it was showing no rain and cloud ! Its now showing 35-50 % of rain with thunderstorms much later in the day. :wall:

Which means by Friday it could’ve all changed again...
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

106500 wrote:
Mr Benn wrote:Okay , 48 hours before hand , and I've had to check the weather for the 1st time since the weekend as it was driving me crazy
i was hoping it had got better, but met office are now showing rain all day , and even heavy at times.

Absolutely gutted. More so as taking some family . And the £150 rip off for the Friday as well :wall:

I have lost count of the number of airshows I've been to where even when there has been a bad forecast, there's been very little actual rain or even when there has been some downpours there's been a fair amount of flying. :smile:

I remember an absolutely torrential cloudburst at Finningley - the year that the Vulcan hadn't got its certificate of airworthiness done in time to fly - followed by bright sunshine. The sight of the Vulcan hammering down the wet runway with the spray billowing behind it was a bit of compensation for getting absolutely soaked. I knew one day I would look back on that and smile :up:
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

sikejsudjek wrote:Going on Friday. Lets hope they can get something up even if its just fly pasts.... Weather keeps changing on the forecast. When I bought the ticket yesterday it was showing no rain and cloud ! Its now showing 35-50 % of rain with thunderstorms much later in the day. :wall:

It is likely to change again but at present the worst of the weather is going to arrive in the late afternoon and as the flying display ends between 3-4pm we might get lucky and have an uninterrupted display but if it does turn out to be a wash out I might just stump up the money for a Sunday ticket as while cloudy it looks like it should be dry.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

I think it might be a good idea at this stage for everyone to take a few deep breathes and have a look at this.

Just because a forecast is showing rain from 9AM on one day to 11AM on the following day doesn't necessarily mean it will rain for that period. In this instance during Friday the chance is rarely above 50% which means you've got just as much chance of no rain falling at all as there being a shower. No heavier rain is being forecast until after the Friday show so there is every chance you will see a 'full show' though some may have to utilise their intermediate or flat displays depending on cloud base.

I've noticed with the BBC forecasts since they moved to MeteoGroup the displayed weather has very much been on a worst case scenario. So in the example of this Friday they forecast light rain but it will more likely be very light showers or no rain at all.

You also need to factor in that unless there is a big storm over the whole country the weather is often very localised so it could be raining all around Fairford but dry on the show ground. There were some huge ominous clouds this year at Cosford but it never actually rained on the show ground.

I think those stating "not much will be flying" are getting very far ahead of themselves.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i seem to remember last year some reports said there was going to be rain for a lot of the weekend.

apart from the downpour which stopped the friday flypast look how that turned out.

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Maybe just a case of that strange new phenomena "Insect clutter". :smile:

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Looks atrocious Fri/Sat :sad:

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Great positive post above Speedbird. Thats the kind of positve post Im looking for .

Im gonna read that over and over. :clap:

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Flare Path wrote:Looks atrocious Fri/Sat :sad:

on the contrary, it looks better now than it did at the beginning of the week

looks like at worst we might not get rain until after the display tomorrow and the a stray shower on Saturday. i'll take that

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

Mr Benn wrote:Great positive post above Speedbird. Thats the kind of positve post I'm looking for .

I'm gonna read that over and over. :clap:

Indeed second that , further to speedbirds post this is the why and wherefores https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/about/17185651

Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

No 'wrong' weather, just wrong clothing and camera protection!

I'm going Friday, taking sun protection and rain protection!

Something will fly, and rain probability is a max of 80% at 12:00, 60% before that, and 50-40% after. (from Met Office, seconds a go).

I go for statics as well, so there will be something for me.

Also going on Monday - P&V East - should be a good day!
Anything that flies!

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Sneezy24 wrote:No 'wrong' weather, just wrong clothing and camera protection!

I'm going Friday, taking sun protection and rain protection!

Something will fly, and rain probability is a max of 80% at 12:00, 60% before that, and 50-40% after. (from Met Office, seconds a go).

I go for statics as well, so there will be something for me.

Also going on Monday - P&V East - should be a good day!

well said.
if you have the correct clothing then a bit of rain isn't an issue.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Friday should provide plenty of opportunity for spluff and carrots...... :whistle:

......if anything flies

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Oh guys - you really got my hopes up

" on the contrary, it looks better now than it did at the beginning of the week"

Mustve been predicting hurricanes then !
Met office currently showing 90% chance of heavy rain between 8 and 11 am tomorrow :wall:

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Mr Benn wrote:Oh guys - you really got my hopes up

" on the contrary, it looks better now than it did at the beginning of the week"

Met office currently showing 90% chance of heavy rain between 8 and 11 am tomorrow :wall:

Good thing the displays don’t start until 11 then :biggrin:

Daveycakes

Post by Daveycakes »

Saturday's forecast looks to be improving anyway... so there's some good news on that front

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Tomorrow is looking worse but, trying to look on the bright side, I would rather be hiding under under a large brolley with a good friend and a flask of coffee/jaffa cakes, sharing stories and jokes about previous escapades than at work, (SR-71s, U2s, burgers, Vikings, Viggens, Phantoms ......glory days)

it will still be good fun and it will still be memorable
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Mr Benn wrote:Oh guys - you really got my hopes up

a bit of rain doesn't hurt. wear a coat you'll be fine.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

It is what it is, the weather will be affecting all of us and we can't change it. So lets just enjoy whatever does display :smile:

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Daveycakes wrote:Saturday's forecast looks to be improving anyway... so there's some good news on that front

Not if you made a concious decision to go Friday instead of Saturday .
Mind you, all you Saturday kids were probably punching the air once id bought my Friday tickets.
Frustrating for both tho days that the days before and after look perfect.

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Its my Anxiety doing my head in. So I do apologise. I have been so looking forward to it for once , and this has kind of knocked me back.

R4118

Post by R4118 »

Mr Benn wrote:Its my Anxiety doing my head in. So I do apologise. I have been so looking forward to it for once , and this has kind of knocked me back.

As nobody has any control over the weather conditions, it is up to you to let it affect you in anyway. You can make the best of it, even if there seems to be no upside. Just take it as it comes and make the most of it.
I have to admit, this is not always easy. But then life is good, but nobody said it would be easy...…

:worship: :cuppa: :cuppa: :cuppa:
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

Weather constantly changing on Met Office. At last Saturday seems to be looking better but tomorrow looks interesting. If stuff can get in the air could be some great vapour though.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

The worst of the weather front (thunderstorms) that’s passing over seems to be during Friday night, so the days either side will probably see some rain, especially Friday, but it could be a lot worse. Looks like it’ll be rather breezy too. Sunday’s weather looks quite pleasant, and Monday seems to have changed for the better too. :smile:

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

According to BBC there will be bad rain early morning then 'just' showers in a window till mid afternoon. Hopefully plenty will get up including the flypast .
If the weather does improve in the afternoon, will any planes that get cancelled in the morning have a chance of displaying later in the day (if based at Fairford )