Riat 2019 weather watch.

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Airshowhammer

Re: RIAT 2019 weather watch.

Post by Airshowhammer »

Mr Benn wrote:According to BBC there will be bad rain early morning then 'just' showers in a window till mid afternoon. Hopefully plenty will get up including the flypast .
If the weather does improve in the afternoon, will any planes that get cancelled in the morning have a chance of displaying later in the day (if based at Fairford )

Would hope so. Lets say 2 hours gets knocked off that is a big chunk of the flying display gone. So hopefully they are able to work around it.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Mr Benn wrote:According to BBC there will be bad rain early morning then 'just' showers in a window till mid afternoon. Hopefully plenty will get up including the flypast .
If the weather does improve in the afternoon, will any planes that get cancelled in the morning have a chance of displaying later in the day (if based at Fairford )

it will take a lot to totally ground jets. really low cloud base, storm conditions, wind and poor visibility. it doesn't look like we will get much more than rain and cloud, so chances are most of them will get up

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

rockfordstone wrote:

it will take a lot to totally ground jets. really low cloud base, storm conditions, wind and poor visibility. it doesn't look like we will get much more than rain and cloud, so chances are most of them will get up

Perhaps we will get a little thunder around 4pm to go with the lightning :biggrin:

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Andyperkins wrote:
rockfordstone wrote:

I see what you did there. Very good :)
Perhaps we will get a little thunder around 4pm to go with the lightning :biggrin:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Can't lie, I am a tad worried about tomorrow :grin: :sweat:

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Airshowhammer wrote:Can't lie, I am a tad worried about tomorrow :grin: :sweat:

Going to be a wet morning that is for sure but for the 5 hours of the display it is quite the mixture with possible sunshine at one point and hail at another with light/heavy rain the rest of the time lol
Last edited by Andyperkins on Thu 18 Jul 2019, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

To be honest i don't think anyone has a clue whats going on with the weather, every app appears to be giving a different forecast. Rain is obviously a certainty but fingers crossed it'll be ok...

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

lynothehammer wrote:To be honest i don't think anyone has a clue whats going on with the weather, every app appears to be giving a different forecast. Rain is obviously a certainty but fingers crossed it'll be ok...

It's for certain that an area of low pressure is passing over and that it'll bring rain. Quite how much, and when, is less clear - although it appears that the worst of the weather will occur overnight, friday/Saturday. I'd be very surprised if some displays aren't affected, especially tomorrow, but hopefully not too much.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

lynothehammer wrote:To be honest i don't think anyone has a clue whats going on with the weather, every app appears to be giving a different forecast. Rain is obviously a certainty but fingers crossed it'll be ok...

looking at my app, it seems certain it will rain in the morning (altho it's currently clear where i am) and in the evening. there seems to be a period between about 1 and 3 which is 50/50. i guess we will see when we get there.

i'm packed for all season as is often the case for RIAT

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

rockfordstone wrote:

looking at my app, it seems certain it will rain in the morning (altho it's currently clear where i am) and in the evening. there seems to be a period between about 1 and 3 which is 50/50. i guess we will see when we get there.

I like to to travel very light - camera/bag that hardly fits it - water and thats it.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
rockfordstone wrote:

I like to to travel very light - camera/bag that hardly fits it - water and thats it.

most of mine will be in the car, but i've got a light raincoat for if it rains, trousers that unzip into shorts if it gets warm.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

rockfordstone wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:
rockfordstone wrote:

most of mine will be in the car, but i've got a light raincoat for if it rains, trousers that unzip into shorts if it gets warm.

Cool - same here squashed a cheepo rain coat in my bag just in case - sunday go-er if i get a few things sorted before hand.

197cup

Post by 197cup »

Looks like the heaviest rain is hitting the south coast rather than Fairford.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Heavens have opened here at Reading :hide:

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Airshowhammer wrote:Heavens have opened here at Reading :hide:

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ Is showing rain on the radar from a line roughly Manchester/ Leeds to the South coast. It split as it came through Wales and the heavier stuff is in a line between Dublin and Manchester but there looks to be heavy showers for the morning with a heavy 'blob' currently just North of Newquay making its way ENE.

Here in Worcs rain is started about 0645 and is currently steady but the cloud doesn't look too low so should be ok for flat displays.

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Thanks for the updates guys.

Post by 106500 »

Chucking it down at Kempsford just now but hopefully the worst will clear early doors :smile:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Oh dear :hide:

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Hats off to anyone going today. My ticket has been consigned to the shredder.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

£75 on tickets
£65 on travel
£10 on a programme

The look on my face when hidden in a tent

...priceless :win:

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Every time it stops raining I get false hope. Absolutely pouring at the moment.

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

BBC weather now showing dry with some sun most of tomorrow :smile:
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Go4Long wrote:Every time it stops raining I get false hope. Absolutely pouring at the moment.

Not good at all.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

PeteM wrote:Hats off to anyone going today. My ticket has been consigned to the shredder.

This. I had a ticket for today, but decided to give it a miss. Weather about 2 miles from Fairford (where I am) is horrific.

canard67

Post by canard67 »

Forcast for today looks grim until 1500 L

EGVA 190908Z 1909/1918 19010KT 9999 BKN018
TEMPO 1909/1911 2000 +RA BKN005
TEMPO 1911/1914 4000 RA BKN010
PROB30 TEMPO 1911/1914 3000 RADZ SCT006
PROB40 TEMPO 1914/1918 22015G25KT 6000 SHRA BKN010TCU=