Gathering of Moths - OW 8 August

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Gathering of Moths - OW 8 August

Post by Blackbird »

I have been to "the gathering" a few times and have enjoyed it. This year's event is due to take place in just under 3 weeks and I can't find any more information other than the date it's due to take place. The De Havilland Moth Club's website says "Lots more detail to come" but the site hasn't been updated since February.

Does anyone have any more recent information - like is it still going ahead?

Any further info would be appreciated - thanks.

Andy :smile:

andygolfer

Re: Gathering of Moths - OW 8 August

Post by andygolfer »

It's also on the Old Warden website so I would assume it's still on. I hope so because I'm planning to go.

Odd that there aren't any updates on the moth website though (I noticed that myself the other day).
andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

I've just phoned Old Warden and they said the event is still planned as far as they are concerned.

It's taking place on the paddock so entry to the museum is not required

andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to find this out. I’m en route to RIAT and hoping for better weather than today!

May see you at OW in August.

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

Hello everyone

Sorry for lack of updates but there is little to add to what's on the Shuttleworth website. As soon as I hear more from deHMC HQ I will post here.

I expect things will go as previous years. The event should be free to enter, gates open at 9.30, entry to other Shuttleworth attractions at their usual charges. The restaurant and shop will be accessible.

There will be a happy hour where you will be most welcome to walk amongst the aeroplanes. I will confirm times later.

If anyone wants to fly in then PPR through me please (not the Visitors' Centre) mothgathering@gmail.com

Any questions please post here but I am about to get on my bicycle and pedal up to East Fortune.

There is a continuation the follow day at RAF Henlow but I am sorry, that event is not open to the public. This mirrors a Famous Grouse event in days of yore. It was impossible to find a weekend that was available at Old Warden this year but discussions are under way for 2020.

Watch out for my Chipmunk 75th event in 2021 . . . . . :wink:
vA
stevelevien.com

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Thanks for the post Steve. Please keep us updated as we get nearer the time. An indication of how many aircraft are expecting to be there would be really helpful.

Thanks again

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Whilst it is noted that this event is free entry please consider supporting the Shuttleworth Collection by visiting the museum, or spending time and money in the shop. And a visit to the cafe where you will find a welcoming meal and excellent cup of tea.
Also remember that the event only goes ahead with the assistance of a number of volunteers (Shuttleworth and Moth Club) providing air traffic, marshalling and fire services as well as those involved with general public safety.

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

There are currently 51 aircraft booked into the Gathering at Old Warden on Thursday (one or two may be OW based) and 47 at RAF Henlow on Friday. I appreciate the latter is not a public event.
vA
stevelevien.com

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Thanks for the update - much appreciated.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

On a Thursday? Can't remember that before.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

We were unable to secure a weekend at Shuttleworth Old Warden this year so we decided to replicate a Famous Grouse event from days of yore, one day at Old Warden and one day at RAF Henlow. Discussions are on-going with Shuttleworth about next year.
vA
stevelevien.com

Andover

Post by Andover »

Looking forward to this and weather is looking very good!

Will there be much flying? Will Rapides the DH.84 Dragon be there?

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

53 aircraft currently booked inc 32 Tiger Moths, 5 Hornet Moths, 4 Chipmunks plus a DH60, Puss Moth, Fox Moth and a Leopard Moth.

Subject to weather and aircraft serviceability.
vA
stevelevien.com

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

vintage ATCO wrote:We were unable to secure a weekend at Shuttleworth Old Warden this year.

That's a shame, I just can't face going around the M25 etc. on a weekday, got to be a Sunday for me. :sad:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

That's a shame, I just can't face going around the M25 etc. on a weekday, got to be a Sunday for me. :sad:

I'm going to brave it!! It does mean I'm unlikely to get to OW before 11.15 but hopefully that'll be ok.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I think that they should try for somewhere like Compton Abbas next year, I would think that would be a perfect location, and I could forget about the M25 etc.!

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

TBH. I find the M25 is worse on a Sunday evening! As with all journeys & destinations these days, one has to Plan your ETD both ways to avoid the worse times & traffic. Does anybody in the UK still drive without 'live traffic' reports? Rather divert 25 miles than sit at a standstill, anyway it's good practice for 'smart motorway' tolls. :mad:

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

55 aircraft now booked in plus we expect many 'on the day' bookings from non-Moth aircraft.

We will endeavour to 'pack the hill' with Moths for the open hour, with the overflow going around he corner from the signal square. Non-moths will be parked at the southern end.

We have cancelled the private event at RAF Henlow on Friday because of the anticipated rain and strong winds.
vA
stevelevien.com

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Thanks again for the update. What time will the "open hour" take place? I know historically it's been around 12.30.

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

13:00 - 14:00

56 aircraft booked, more ad-hoc tomorrow.

I am in from 08:00, I'll try and post updates from then.
vA
stevelevien.com

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

What an excellent day out it proved to be! Sunshine, a big collection of Moths, relaxed atmosphere, and (I thought) very well attended. I was surprised by the number of cars and people, especially for a midweek.

A big thank you to all involved in the organisation and running of the day :clap: :clap: Photos to follow in a day or two.

Andy :biggrin:

Andover

Post by Andover »

Yes, it was lovely day. Great turn out of both Moths and people. I know it's the holidays, but I was surprised at how many cars turned up. The only thing I was a bit miffed about at first, was when i was walking among the Moths - just after which the commentator had announced was about to become accessible - and then suddenly seeing the Tiger 9 team mass take-off (for display) - with no announcement it was about to happen.

But my 'miffness' was short lived, as we were treated to another display from this fine team, and seeing them taking off in three lots of three from the crowd line in the sunshine, in all their differing colours was a delight! After that display it looked as if they were heading home, only for them to return a few minutes later for a third display! They should have charged us!

Also, four Chipmunks (sadly not flying) but no Dragons. :sad: (The icing on the cake for me, would be a Dove/Devon.)

Thanks to everyone for this free event. I got some lovely photos/video, Much appreciated. :clap:

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

Thank you to everyone who attended, I hope you enjoyed your day.

43 representative de Havilland types:
DH60 x4
DH80 x1
DH82 x27
DH83 x1
DH85 x1
DH87 x4
DHC1 x4
DHC2 x1
plus 27 other visitors or Old Warden based aircraft flying.

Attendance was quite remarkable considering it was a Thursday. Nice line up of old cars, I especially liked the MGs and the Austin Healey 3000!

Until the next time . . . .
vA
stevelevien.com