Shuttleworth Flying Festival & Military Airshow Reviews

Announcements from UK Airshow Review and our partners
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Shuttleworth Flying Festival & Military Airshow Reviews

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Seven Sisters" - Andy Evans reports from Old Warden for UK Airshow Review.

Image Image Image

• "DC-Spree" - Tom Jones reports on June's 'Flying Festival' airshow on behalf of UK Airshow Review.

Image Image Image

Elliott Marsh

Re: Shuttleworth Flying Festival & Military Airshow Reviews

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Worth noting it was P2902, not R4118, rounding off the Hurricane sequence at Old Warden. I would also dispute that the BBMF Hurricane brought up the rear alone behind the sextet (if that is what was implied, given there's an earlier reference to it being a tight formation of seven). It might not have been Horsemaning it in the slot, but let's not downplay the fact it was (as per the photo in the piece) a 7-ship formation! Also notable was BBMF landing on for the first time. :whistle:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

:dunno: If P2902 ended the display then fair enough, my shots end with R4118 - for some reason I didn't shoot that :dunno:

In regards to your other points, I don't see what you are getting at....

The BBMF bought up the rear of the formation, alone and not part of a mixed section. A position in a formation that is unsurprising going on their previous form. Undoubtedly if LF363 had also attended then this would have been alongside however they would still have been bringing up the rear and not in a mixed section with other operators. As for the first BBMF to land at Shuttleworth. This may have been the first BBMF fighter but it certainly wasn't the first BBMF aircraft - far from it.

Andy

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Personally I'd say that's a little harsh saying the BBMF brought up the rear alone. I'd call it the trailing slot or "weaver" position, and the fact they actually took part in the formation is rare and to be applauded.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

P2 definitely rounded it off (the Hurricane several of us had wanted to see soloed at OW since it first flew in 2017, so thanks for that, Shuttleworth!), R4 was leading the first trio sequence.

I'd agree with The Baron, it's splitting hairs really but BBMF were quite clearly sat "in the box", to my mind, or at least sat in the "weaver" position as he says. I wouldn't agree that they weren't part of the second section at all, but like I say, it's splitting hairs and the photos speak for themselves. It was a hell of a moment!