Oshkosh 2020.

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
FlankerPhoto

Oshkosh 2020.

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Due to be held from July 20th to 26th.

Initial highlights expected to be announced in the next couple of months.

Will be my first time, hugely looking forward to it! :rock:

AlexC

Re: Oshkosh 2020.

Post by AlexC »

You will love it! :drool:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Grunt087

Post by Grunt087 »

A few random thoughts on Oshkosh. It is centered around Private pilots and a General Aviation Convention with an Airshow on the side. The area is huge. Learn the tram and shuttle bus system. The flight line is very long so getting up front is not a problem. The airshow lineup is only announced at the beginning of each day and is often pretty vague so you never know what is really going to fly that day. A Mosquito was there but only flew twice all week and you never knew what day it was going to be flying or when. The XP-82 Twin Mustang only flew twice. There are two runways and half the time they would take off in front of you and other times they would take off from the other runway so you could not depend on getting take off or landing shots. The shear numbers of planes is amazing. Bring a Scanner and listen to the controllers launching 250 planes in one hour. The sun was in your face in the morning and by late afternoon it was fantastic over your right shoulder. It was frustrating that they gave rides on the B-17,B-24 and B-29 from Appleton Airport but not fly low enough to take their pictures. The Bombers would fly directly over the airport at 3,000 feet but never land. The planes could have done a low approach so people could photograph them and give the passengers a nice view of the airfield. Hotels are a problem and the traffic and parking are well run but still a hassle. Camping would have its advantages . You could stay longer hours each day and save the hassle of driving. Many of the planes that were there left by Saturday and the airshow Sunday was less impressive than Saturdays show. Many people just were tired after being there all week and they needed to be back home before Monday. It is an amazing convention with a pretty good airshow. You will enjoy it .

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Cheers guys! :smile:

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

"The airshow lineup is only announced at the beginning of each day and is often pretty vague so you never know what is really going to fly that day"

The Show Schedule is on the EAA website, Ok it does not list exactly what is flying but will have navy heritage, USAF heritage etc etc but you can have a fair ol guess of whats gonna go up.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/features ... w-schedule
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Consider the University of Wisconsin (Oshkosh) dorms for relatively low-priced accommodation; both aircon (USD125) and non-aircon (USD75) rooms are available. Avoid the hassle of driving/parking and buy a weekly, unlimited rides bus ticket for the university to airport shuttle.

For photography during the airshow, choose to either stand on the 18/36 flight line or at the secondary runway, 09/27. You must accept that you'll miss some types depending on your chosen location. On almost all occasions during my three visits, warbird types usually recover to runway 27 after their performance to allow operations to continue on 18/36. On about half the times, they'll both launch from and recover to 09/27. Toss a coin and accept what you get on any particular day. :smile:

Like eggs and chickens, don't count on any aircraft that's listed on the programme unless you smell and hear it. I'm still waiting for the twice-promised Gannet to appear... :wink: This year, we were very fortunate to see both of the two headline aircraft; the Mossie and the Twin-Mustang.

As mentioned above, you'll definitely have a great time and my guess is that you'll be hooked. Enjoy!
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Seemed to be quite a few Aussie's there this year. And I'd forgotten that the American's seem to have a bit of trouble mixing up the London and the Australian accents (well, at least my particular London accent, although it's probably changed a bit since I've been living in Hampshire for the past 36 years or so) as I was asked several times if I was from Australia.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Thanks for all the useful tips so far. I'm booked in the University for 2020 based on previous advise and will use the shuttle bus.

I heard its insect season as well so will need some repellent.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Nwalch wrote:I heard its insect season as well so will need some repellent.

So they say, but as I said elsewhere I've never been bothered by them, not even at the seaplane base which by all accounts is a bit of a hot spot for the little critters.

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Nwalch wrote:...I heard its insect season as well so will need some repellent.
I can tell you from personal experience that the seaplane base can be bug central, so take some repellent with you. I also noticed that a few bugs had a go at the airfield but nothing too serious.
Last edited by GeorgeP on Mon 30 Dec 2019, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I'm booked :biggrin: but staying in Madison which is about a 90 min drive away. That was the upshot of the negotiations with 'er indoors! Last time we stayed in Green Bay (home of the Packers). You can see all that the town has to offer in about an hour if you take your time so I had to choose somewhere else to stay. Milwaukee was first choice but it turns out that the Democrats are holding their convention there at that time so all the hotels were full and about twice the normal price :wall:

Happy to offer advice (based on my one previous experience) if anyone has any questions.
Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all,

Andy :smile:

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Best wishes to everyone for the festive season and for a great 2020 air show season. :smile:

Canadian Snowbirds and USAF Special Forces announced. :clap:
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

PeteFenwick

Post by PeteFenwick »

EAA news is highlighting an expanded warbird element of the show to showcase the 75th anniversary of the ending of WW2-news quote below-

"December 19, 2019 - EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2020 will feature expanded warbird flying activities, as the annual EAA fly-in convention commemorates the 75th anniversary of the end of World War II.

EAA AirVenture will tell the many aviation stories of the Greatest Generation and the worldwide conflict during its renowned afternoon air shows. It will feature flying displays and groups that are favorites for EAA audiences. Highlighting the weeklong commemoration will be major air show flying activities on Wednesday, July 22, and Friday and Saturday, July 24-25."

Looking forward to my 4th visit, lets hope the weather is as good as 2019.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Oshkosh is on my list for 2021, finally after so many years. I was wondering does the airside areas remain open when the flying display aircraft are moving on the ground? So when a P-51, or the like starts up and taxies out is that in a barriered non public area? I assume the jets and modern mil operate from a seperate airside area? Although the flying display is pretty much far down my list of interests at the show compared to all the static and fly-in aircraft.
Are there shuttles to the sea plane area and Baslers?
Is Found du Lac worth a trip, and can you wander round there?

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Something to definitely look forward to... Hope you have a fab time and be prepared to be hooked. One visit is never enough. :smile: My responses appear beside your original text.

farnboroughrob wrote:Oshkosh is on my list for 2021, finally after so many years.

I was wondering does the airside areas remain open when the flying display aircraft are moving on the ground? Yes, if a warbird starts in the warbird parking area, you can stand within 10m, or less, from it. There are a few Safety Officers on Vespas to keep everyone at a safe distance. The general rule seems to be, keep a safe distance and don't walk between a warbird and the exit. Access to the Warbird area is open at all times, regardless of aircraft movements. The only bits that I've ever seen closed are the paved taxyway that leads from warbird parking heading east towards the runway 18 threshold.

So when a P-51, or the like starts up and taxies out is that in a barriered non public area? Nope. See above.

I assume the jets and modern mil operate from a seperate airside area? Serving US military aircraft will either park on Boeing Plaza or over at the Wittman terminal. Classic , privately-owned military jets (T-33, F-86, A4) usually park just east of warbird alley on the SW bit of runway 05 or the NW bit of runway 31.

Although the flying display is pretty much far down my list of interests at the show compared to all the static and fly-in aircraft.
Are there shuttles to the sea plane area and Baslers? Yep. The University of Wisconsin-to-EAA Bus Park shuttle regularly stops at the Wittman Airport terminal (Basler FBO, not sure about their mod shop, though) and, from the EAA Bus Park there is a regular shuttle to the seaplane base.

Is Found du Lac worth a trip, and can you wander round there? Have never been there, sorry. I suspect that when Wittman closes due to weather (as it did this year on the Sat/Sun before the show), many aircraft will divert there and wait for it to re-open.

Hope this info is useful.

Qualification: The rules that I have outlined, above, were those which were in force during my previous three visits in 2013, 2015 and 2019.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

farnboroughrob wrote:Is Fond du Lac worth a trip, and can you wander round there?

Fond du Lac is fairly accessible, having a look at Airliners.net or AirHistory.net will give you a sense of the place. As to whether it's worth a trip there or not, I'd say it would be if you're passing anyway, but if it's to be an afternoon at Oshkosh or Fond du Lac then for me it would have to be Oshkosh every time!

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Thanks for the info, very interesting. I am a static photographer so would be good to photograph the flyers on the ground. Can now say I am planning to go there next year!

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

farnboroughrob wrote:...Can now say I am planning to go there next year!
Can say now that I was planning to go but, sadly, I'm about to cancel flights to ORD, rental car and all our accommodation. Our Federal Government has stated that even after domestic travel restrictions are lifted, international travel will not be permitted for a long time. Maybe I'll have to wait until next year for Oshkosh 2021 but I wouldn't bet on it...
Last edited by GeorgeP on Mon 13 Apr 2020, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

GeorgeP wrote:
farnboroughrob wrote:...Can now say I am planning to go there next year!
Can say now that I was planning to go but, sadly, I'm about to cancel flights to ORD, rental car and all our accommodation. Our Federal Government has stated that even after domestic travel restrictions are lifted, international travel will not be permitted for a long time. Maybe I'll have to wait until next year for Oshkosh 2021 but I would bet on it...

:sad: :sad: I'm pretty sure I'll have to scrub my trip too :sad:

Always next year...hopefully :question:

Andy :sad:

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Blackbird wrote: :sad: :sad: I'm pretty sure I'll have to scrub my trip too :sad:

Always next year...hopefully :question:

One of my life rules is that hope is never a good strategy. :lol:

If a vaccine cannot be developed for this virus (I believe that none have been successfully developed for any other Corona virus), then I reckon planning to attend next year's Oshkosh is probably risky. Furthermore, I don't relish the thought of being 'trapped' over there if another outbreak occurs.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Just glad that I went last year.

Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Now been cancelled :sad:

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Trip canned :sad:

Hopefully next year :question:

PeteFenwick

Post by PeteFenwick »

Also tripped canned. Was combining Sentry Eagle, Oshkosh and Ellesworth AFB airshow over 11 days (albeit with some horrendous driving-alas not this year) Could be no aviation events this year.

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Blackbird wrote:
Sat 02 May 2020, 12:35 pm
Trip canned :sad:

Ditto. We have rolled over our U of W (Oshkosh) accommodation to 2021. All other previously-booked cars and hotels were cancelled with no financial penalty.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.