RIAT 2020 Wishlist

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
CJS

Re: RIAT 2020 Wishlist

Post by CJS »

Please can I restate my perpetual wish that the BBMF's Spitfire P7350 takes part in the show this year? :love:

Thank you
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

J-22. My eternal hope.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Can see Kazakhstan have been invited. Mig-31 please :dizzy:

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

I remember once seeing an argus at waddo it would be nice to see one at riat.

CJS

Post by CJS »

edhunter wrote:I remember once seeing an argus at waddo it would be nice to see one at RIAT.

What, a Canadair CP-107 Argus? Not sure that's *very* likely...
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Argus - a SAAB design isn't it? I think the Swedish AF brought one to RIAT around the turn of the century if memory serves correct. A strange looking contraption on the roof I thought at the time... but then the Wedgetail caught my eye.

I think the Greeks brought an Argus over in 2013 too? I remember saying 'Kalispera' to the crew as I wandered the static looking for merch.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

spellow3010 wrote:Argus - a SAAB design isn't it? I think the Swedish AF brought one to RIAT around the turn of the century if memory serves correct. A strange looking contraption on the roof I thought at the time... but then the Wedgetail caught my eye.

I think the Greeks brought an Argus over in 2013 too? I remember saying 'Kalispera' to the crew as I wandered the static looking for merch.

Nope, Greece doesn’t operate the Argus.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

spellow3010 wrote:Argus - a SAAB design isn't it? I think the Swedish AF brought one to RIAT around the turn of the century if memory serves correct. A strange looking contraption on the roof I thought at the time... but then the Wedgetail caught my eye.

Greeks haven't got any. They operate the Embraer 145 with the Erieye system on top. And yes they did bring one to RIAT as have the Brazilians in the past.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

capercaillie wrote:

Greeks haven't got any. They operate the Embraer 145 with the Erieye system on top. And yes they did bring one to RIAT as have the Brazilians in the past.

Ah yes, the Brazilian E-99 - RIAT '07, wasn't it?

The only time I've seen a Swedish Argus thingy was at Waddington 2002 on static display.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

CJS wrote:
edhunter wrote:I remember once seeing an argus at waddo it would be nice to see one at RIAT.

What, a Canadair CP-107 Argus? Not sure that's *very* likely...

That's what I first thought, and if one was flying i'm sure it'd be the top of everyone's list!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

spellow3010 wrote:I think the Greeks brought an Argus over in 2013 too? I remember saying 'Kalispera' to the crew as I wandered the static looking for merch.

They were probably checking their watches to see if they had the right time if you were.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Quote from Google: "Kalimera is the usual greeting in the morning, if you're greeting someone in the afternoon or evening, say kalispera."
As he didn't say it was in the morning & with BST in-place there's better than 50% chance he got it right? :smile:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

"Meanwhile, "kalispera" is meant for use in the evenings, and "kalinikta" is meant to say "good night" right before bedtime."

:smile:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Wissam24 wrote:"Meanwhile, "kalispera" is meant for use in the evenings, and "kalinikta" is meant to say "good night" right before bedtime."

:smile:

So mainly for use at nightshoots then, gotcha.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

:dunno: Its all Greek to me.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Small wonder then, that when I order a Gyros I get an All-Day Breakfast? :dizzy:

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Wow... great to see the pedantry ejaculation very much alive and well on UKAR.

Take a bow.

I've spoken to Greek people quite regularly as part of a different interest thank you very much. They taught me how to greet people, if not the correct spelling. For the avoidance of doubt, my pigeon-Greek conversation with the aircrew at Fairford took place after the show whilst walking around the static park... Very much late PM. But fine, go on and hang me out to dry.

As for my error relating to the Argus/Embraer, a fair cop... Take a bow. :win:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

A flying Phantom. Never seen one airborne and probs never will!

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

In light of today's announcement of the static C130K, does anyone else miss the old C130 role demo where they used to deploy troops and vehicles onto the airfield? When was the last time they did this kind of thing?
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

It would be nice for Qatar to return with there very colourful C-17.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Winning lottery numbers please :worship: