system camera for aviation photography

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Jon

system camera for aviation photography

Post by Jon »

Hello aviation fans,

I'm looking for a new photo camera to replace my 10 year old compact camera. I've read bridge cameras are not the best choice to use on airshows. Would the canon eos M50 hybrid mirrorless be good for both static and flying displays? And which lens would be suitable a 18-150mm, 55-200 mm or...? I don't go often to many airshows abroad but it would be nice if I have a versatile camera I can bring along and take some nice shots of airplanes, holidays,...

Thanks!

Fanner

Re: system camera for aviation photography

Post by Fanner »

Jon wrote:Hello aviation fans,

I'm looking for a new photo camera to replace my 10 year old compact camera. I've read bridge cameras are not the best choice to use on airshows. Would the Canon eos M50 hybrid mirrorless be good for both static and flying displays? And which lens would be suitable a 18-150mm, 55-200 mm or...? I don't go often to many airshows abroad but it would be nice if I have a versatile camera I can bring along and take some nice shots of airplanes, holidays,...

Thanks!

If you are more interested in video than stills, and value compactness, the Panasonic GH5 should be on the top of your list.

It's a Micro Four-Thirds mirrorless camera, so it's smaller in general compared to other cameras, has in-body stabilization, and records in over-sampled 4k 60p, 10-bit 4:2:2 internal recording, with optional V-LogL support. Articulated rear touch screen display means you can flip it around so you can monitor the video feed. It also has a headphone jack for monitoring audio, plus a mic jack for external microphones. Of course you need to compare cameras before buying.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Unfortunately, for airshow displays you really need a lens in the 400-600mm category, for statics an 18-200mm would be ideal. It all depends on your budget really.

nighthawk999

Post by nighthawk999 »

I know a few posters here are keen on mirrorless,but for airshows and aerial shots you really need a viewfinder,relying on a screen and therefore holding the camera out in front,especially with a long heavy lens on,just won't work..unless I'm missing something with mirrorless to avoid that?

I got some decent shots at Cosford this year with my Canon 100-400L MK1.If you're on a budget,check out MPB,they have a good range of bodies and lenses at reasonable prices,I got most of my gear from there.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

nighthawk999 wrote:I know a few posters here are keen on mirrorless,but for airshows and aerial shots you really need a viewfinder,relying on a screen and therefore holding the camera out in front,especially with a long heavy lens on,just won't work..unless I'm missing something with mirrorless to avoid that?

I got some decent shots at Cosford this year with my Canon 100-400L MK1.If you're on a budget,check out MPB,they have a good range of bodies and lenses at reasonable prices,I got most of my gear from there.

Both Panasonic and Olympus M43 systems generally have viewfinders. I would also say that Sony have to.
But to answer the OP's question we would really need to know what budget your looking at.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

nighthawk999 wrote:I know a few posters here are keen on mirrorless,but for airshows and aerial shots you really need a viewfinder,relying on a screen and therefore holding the camera out in front,especially with a long heavy lens on,just won't work..unless I'm missing something with mirrorless to avoid that?

Mirrorless cameras have viewfinders and bloody good ones at that
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

nighthawk999

Post by nighthawk999 »

tankbuster wrote:

Every day's a school day...

Jon

Post by Jon »

tankbuster wrote:

Yes, the canon has an electronic viewfinder. Is that ok?
I certainly don't want to spend more than £900 (body+lens). Pictures are only for personal use like albums and printing. I'm looking for price-quality with minor trade-offs :smile:.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Jon wrote:
Yes, the Canon has an electronic viewfinder. Is that ok?
I certainly don't want to spend more than £900 (body+lens). Pictures are only for personal use like albums and printing. I'm looking for price-quality with minor trade-offs :smile:.

Just slightly over but if you look around or second hand take a look at the Panasonic G80 and kit lens 12-60 (24-120) for £599 and the 100-300 (200-600) lens at £487 prices are from Wex.

If I remember correctly the GX80 also has a view finder and should be cheaper. I would go to somewhere like Jessops and see how they feel in your hands.

These were taken on a G80 last year https://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=81087
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens