Best Lens advise

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
KC10RAF

Best Lens advise

Post by KC10RAF »

Hi guys would it be possible to give me some advise on what is the optimum lens to use at riat 2020 i cant afford one of the super duper canon lens so i intend to hire one but really unsure as to which one, the candidates are 100-400 , straight 500mm or the super zoom 800mm we will be sitting in the grandstand rait members stand so fairly central my camera in the canon mk111 5D , so what are your thoughts, regards KC10RAF

MC hammer

Re: Best Lens advise

Post by MC hammer »

If you opt for the Canon 100-400, make sure it's the mark 2 version, ie twist to zoom, not the mark 1 push/pull version, as it's a much more modern lens. It might not have enough reach for flying shots but will be fine for take off and landings.

Roughcutter

Re: Best Lens advise

Post by Roughcutter »

Try the Canon EF 400mm F5.6L, probably one of the sharpest lenses around (imho), light as a feather and easy to handle, none intrusive, it's an ideal travelling lens, solidly & quality constructed. It's been around for some time but is easily sourced (try MPB Photographic), and is very affordable, you could get an excellent one for about £600. The only handicap with this remarkable lens, is that there is no image stabiliser, which is no great setback. I won't part with mine, it's a demon. :worship: