RAF relics and guardians

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
Vickers Warwick

RAF relics and guardians

Post by Vickers Warwick »

A few blasts from the 1980s and some RAF airframes used for various forms of display, some now no longer with us.

First up is what was the last surviving Vulcan B1, "preserved" at Cosford. This as my first visit to the museum, taken as a break from O Level revision in 1983. It lasted another three years, presumably until the paint holding it all together began to fail.

ImageVulcan B1 XA900, RAF Cosford Museum. by Mark Smith, on Flickr

The last Victor B1, also at Cosford was a sad and sorry sight in 1983, not helped by my determination to make the most of a 36 film. When I next visited it had been dragged round the back of the hangars, to be scrapped in 1985.

ImageVictor B1 XA923, RAF Cosford Museum. by Mark Smith, on Flickr

In 1985 I started at university in Surrey, and visited the Battle of Britain Memorial Chapel at Biggin Hill, when they still had real aircraft on display.

ImageSpitfire XVI SL674, Biggin Hill Memorial Chapel. by Mark Smith, on Flickr

ImageSpitfire F21 LA226, Biggin Hill Memorial Chapel. by Mark Smith, on Flickr

I'd estimate the next shot to be around 1982, when the RAF recruitment exhibitions came quite regularly to High Town, Hereford. To the right of the Whirlwind is the nose of a Canberra.

ImageWestland Whirlwind XP359, Hereford. by Mark Smith, on Flickr

My dad has always been a great blagger, and while in Yorkshire he negotiated us a pass into RAF Leeming to photograph the guardians there.

ImageMeteor NF14 WS844/WS776, RAF Leeming. by Mark Smith, on Flickr

Finally to RAF Locking. The Meteor is now impressively in Malta,

ImageMeteor T7 WL360, RAF Locking. by Mark Smith, on Flickr

ImageCanberra T4 WH840, RAF Locking. by Mark Smith, on Flickr

aviationanoraks

Re: RAF relics and guardians

Post by aviationanoraks »

I believe the Canberra is now at Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum and has just been repainted.
Thanks for posting, the Cosford photos bring back some childhood memories!

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

I'd love a copy of the pic of the Meteor NF(T)14 at Leeming. While marked up as WS844/ JCF, it's actually our WS788, which we are restoring at Elvington.
Meteor WS788/ Chippy WK640 Restoration Project, YAM
Shack WR963, Coventry
Other types meddled with by request!

Vickers Warwick

Post by Vickers Warwick »

Blue_2 wrote:I'd love a copy of the pic of the Meteor NF(T)14 at Leeming. While marked up as WS844/ JCF, it's actually our WS788, which we are restoring at Elvington.

I've read pretty much every entry on your restoration thread and seen the references to Leeming, often wondering if this is actually "your" Meteor. Happy to oblige with a copy of the shot - either download one of the flickr link (if that's possible) or PM me and I'll dig the scan out and send it to you.