Canon Camera Query .

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Keefy041

Canon Camera Query .

Post by Keefy041 »

Hoping someone can help please.
I currently have a Canon 550d , i am looking to buy an additional camera body ,the idea being use the 550 for static and something slightly newer for flying shots. Thing is there are lots and lots of models available, not looking to spend £1000's as i don't use it enough, any ideas please ?

Paul_Reflex

Re: Canon Camera Query .

Post by Paul_Reflex »

The 77D is a good buy, the same really good sensor as the 80D and decent autofocus.

Keefy041

Post by Keefy041 »

Thanks Paul, was hoping for something a little cheaper hopefully secondhand, although the 77d does look good in the writeup.
Needs to operate similar to my existing 550 too as i only use my camera 4 times a year( 4 airshows) max usually.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

In that case, go for the latest x00D that you can afford. Each one got better with no real duff models, unlike the X0D range which had a couple of backward steps. As well as second hand, perhaps look at a grey import from somewhere like HDEW or Digitalrev. There’s very little downsides if you don’t intend to sell it on in the future. I hope you find something good :up:

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

If your happy with the 550, buy another 2nd hand. The batteries will be the same and you will be familiar with the handling. Plenty on ebay, or you might get something local on gumtree. Depending what's available, you might pick up extra batteries with it, and maybe some extra bits and pieces.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

nighthawk999

Post by nighthawk999 »

Personally I wouldn't trust ebay etc.for photography kit,I got mine..including a 550D and 7D plus lenses from MPB.Six months warranties on everything.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

So different brand but I have 2 Nikon of the same body. they both do the same, are set up the same and I can interchange or just grab at one and know it will do what I want. if you are happy with your current body then get another of the same.

I would question however if you are saying you only use your camera 4 times a year is there really any logic in buying a second body? seems like a lot of money to spend for just some static shots when you just need to change a lens?

Keefy041

Post by Keefy041 »

Rockfordstone, you are probably right, it is a bit excessive considering how little it'll be used, just something i'm looking into, mainly to get a slightly better camera for flying shots. Thanks for peoples input.

motormouser

Post by motormouser »

Or try a zoom lens like the Sigma 18-300mm C or Tamron 16-300 VC PZ Both great if you want to avoid changing a lens. :smile:

wallace

Post by wallace »

Why would you need another body, personally lugging around two cameras, especially with a long (and heavy) lens at an airshow is not much fun at all.

The best camera is the one you have in your hand.

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

wallace wrote:Why would you need another body

I'm guessing that's a question (no question mark.)
If you were photographing a distant flying aircraft which required using a telephoto zoom or fixed focus lens and another aircraft was taxiing past soon after, requiring a standard or wider angle, changing lenses could mean possible missed shots. Dust etc. thrown up by a landing helicopter in a similar situation would also not be a good time to be changing lenses.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

MikeH wrote:
wallace wrote:Why would you need another body

I'm guessing that's a question (no question mark.)
If you were photographing a distant flying aircraft which required using a telephoto zoom or fixed focus lens and another aircraft was taxiing past soon after, requiring a standard or wider angle, changing lenses could mean possible missed shots. Dust etc. thrown up by a landing helicopter in a similar situation would also not be a good time to be changing lenses.

You left out rain, and we're in the UK.... :grin:

tom tiger

Post by tom tiger »

Instead of the 77D why not go straight for the 90D or the 80D? On the other hand, what is your budget? Can you live with Second hand cameras? If the case is the latter go for the occasions in a store that are checked and come with a few months of store warranty. :-)

Personally I allways buy body only, since you usually allready have good allround lens. I do own a few (quite a few) second hand lenses, but to be honest all from stores that had checked them ect. Did own a few second hand bodies but no digital ones.
"You Live by the Code, You Die by the Code."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tomtiger/albums

wallace

Post by wallace »

Just how often does one ever need to change a lens in a helicopter's down draught?

Folk over think problems.

Keefy041

Post by Keefy041 »

The chances of changing lenses during a helicopter downdraught may indeed be very minimal, but i can see where MikeH is coming from and agree with what he says, the times when there is a lot going on and you want to photograph something flying whilst at the same time something interesting is taxiing out, 2 cameras would be handy, instead of hurriedly changing lenses. Its how a couple of friends do it, and i have often thought of doing the same, hence my original query.

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Keefy041 wrote:...the times when there is a lot going on and you want to photograph something flying whilst at the same time something interesting is taxiing out, 2 cameras would be handy, instead of hurriedly changing lenses....

I carry two Canon bodies (6D as primary with a 100-400 II and my old 40D with a 17-40) for exactly that reason. Although my wife and I have perfected our lens-changing technique and can change one in under 5 sec, the risk of dust ingress makes lens changes in the field unwise. It doesn't have to be the proverbial overhead chopper, either. After a few hours at an Australian airshow, there's more than enough dust on the outside of the camera and lens just waiting to drop into the guts of the camera.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

I dont get the hate over camera gear bought on Ebay, I've bought plenty with zero problems and even on a rare occasion there is a problem you're fully covered as long as you pay by paypal, I bought my Canon 24-105L on ebay & was part of a kit that had been split & sold seperately, I saved nearly £200 iirc
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale